Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Open Letter to The Mac

*No New Album
*No OFFICIAL NAME for the "Tour"
*A stage show and set list that (with the exception of the remarkable "Sisters" and two new songs) has been REHASHED for the past 20 years

Call me crazy, but I'm a bit UNDERWHELMED by the whole "effort" (or lack thereof). I have WORSHIPPED Fleetwood Mac since 1977. I have bought EVERYTHING they've ever done and attended EVERY TOUR (and ALL solo member tours, including Chris McVie's only solo tour in 1984). But, I'm on the verge of losing interest.

Artists like Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Tom Petty have made some of the best music of their careers AFTER the age of 50 or 60. NOTE TO FLEETWOOD MAC: You can still save this sinking vessel. Get Christine McVie to give up gardening and come back ONE MORE TIME. Hire an amazing producer like Rick Rubin, Ethan Johns, Mitchell Fromme or T-Bone Burnett and get back into the studio to make the greatest ART of your life (like you once did with "RUMOURS" and "TUSK, two of the greatest masterpieces in music history). Who gives a crap about TOP 40 hits or record sales? It's not going to happen anyway. Do you think Dylan and Springsteen are sitting around worrying about getting a TOP 40 RADIO HIT in 2013's market? Then, go out on the road with a revamped show (including the new music) and become ARTISTS again. You might even get critical acclaim and win a GRAMMY.......(RESPECT???)

BUT, I guess you're too busy trying to fill corporate rock arenas with the same tired casual fans and the same set list you've been playing for years. I did enjoy "SAY YOU WILL". While not perfect, it was a FINE EFFORT and you at least tried something different. Keep moving in that direction and I'll be the first to jump on board. For the first time in 35 years, I am considering NOT attending a Fleetwood Mac Tour. Why would I shell out 300 dollars plus parking and 15 dollar drinks to see the same show that I've been watching for years just to keep Mick from going broke for the 10th time. It seems to me that you're not really concerned with exploring the artistic future of this band, but rather just biding time to fill your retirement accounts. If not with the band, let Stevie and Lindsey go back to solo projects where THEY DO try to make some new and interesting art (SEEDS WE SOW & IN YOUR DREAMS). You are considered Rock N Roll Royalty by many and you CAN do whatever the hell you want. In the twilight of your career, why not try to be GREAT again? You are all truly gifted artists, just put it down on paper.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm in the same boat - i've seen every tour since Tusk in 79. And I was underwhelmed with the shows I saw during the Dance and Say You Will tours. But that's just me.
I like the old school FM without all the back up musicians and singers.
Unfortunately they won't see this post and they aren't Springsteen or Dylan, etc.
And I doubt Lindsey would have the patience to work with Rick Ruben or Ethan Johns.
T Bone Burnett would be interesting...

One thing I do love and have always loved about this band.
Love them or hate them, people always pay attention to what they're doing. And I think that's great.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I'm in the same boat - i've seen every tour since Tusk in 79. And I was underwhelmed with the shows I saw during the Dance and Say You Will tours. But that's just me.
I like the old school FM without all the back up musicians and singers.
Unfortunately they won't see this post and they aren't Springsteen or Dylan, etc.
And I doubt Lindsey would have the patience to work with Rick Ruben or Ethan Johns.
T Bone Burnett would be interesting....
You have a point, Lindsey would have issues working with an outside producer. Bring back Caillet and Dashut.....throw us a bone.

I was excited with THE DANCE TOUR because we had Lindsey back after years of absence and that dreaded BEHIND THE MASK NUMBER. THE DANCE was at least reason to celebrate.

With the SAY YOU WILL TOUR, at least we got some brand new material, even if we didn't have Chris.

This whole UNLEASHED and NO NAME 2013 TOUR has got me falling asleep. Honey, put the LEASH back on.....it feels as if you been tied up for years.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
*No New Album
*No OFFICIAL NAME for the "Tour"
*A stage show and set list that (with the exception of the remarkable "Sisters" and two new songs) has been REHASHED for the past 20 years

Call me crazy, but I'm a bit UNDERWHELMED by the whole "effort" (or lack thereof). I have WORSHIPPED Fleetwood Mac since 1977. I have bought EVERYTHING they've ever done and attended EVERY TOUR (and ALL solo member tours, including Chris McVie's only solo tour in 1984). But, I'm on the verge of losing interest.

Artists like Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Tom Petty have made some of the best music of their careers AFTER the age of 50 or 60. NOTE TO FLEETWOOD MAC: You can still save this sinking vessel. Get Christine McVie to give up gardening and come back ONE MORE TIME. Hire an amazing producer like Rick Rubin, Ethan Johns, Mitchell Fromme or T-Bone Burnett and get back into the studio to make the greatest ART of your life (like you once did with "RUMOURS" and "TUSK, two of the greatest masterpieces in music history). Who gives a crap about TOP 40 hits or record sales? It's not going to happen anyway. Do you think Dylan and Springsteen are sitting around worrying about getting a TOP 40 RADIO HIT in 2013's market? Then, go out on the road with a revamped show (including the new music) and become ARTISTS again. You might even get critical acclaim and win a GRAMMY.......(RESPECT???)

BUT, I guess you're too busy trying to fill corporate rock arenas with the same tired casual fans and the same set list you've been playing for years. I did enjoy "SAY YOU WILL". While not perfect, it was a FINE EFFORT and you at least tried something different. Keep moving in that direction and I'll be the first to jump on board. For the first time in 35 years, I am considering NOT attending a Fleetwood Mac Tour. Why would I shell out 300 dollars plus parking and 15 dollar drinks to see the same show that I've been watching for years just to keep Mick from going broke for the 10th time. It seems to me that you're not really concerned with exploring the artistic future of this band, but rather just biding time to fill your retirement accounts. If not with the band, let Stevie and Lindsey go back to solo projects where THEY DO try to make some new and interesting art (SEEDS WE SOW & IN YOUR DREAMS). You are considered Rock N Roll Royalty by many and you CAN do whatever the hell you want. In the twilight of your career, why not try to be GREAT again? You are all truly gifted artists, just put it down on paper.
Blah, you are lucky they are still breathing and giving you what they got.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't mind the no name tour with no album.
The Grateful Dead did that a lot - as have the Heartbreakers and Bob Dylan.
These guys just want to play (and I can promise you none of them are doing it for the money).
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find myself losing fanhood too, as well as three friends, all of us longtime diehard fans. We have greeted the current tour with a collective shrug although there are 3 shows within driving distance. Unleashed was a lukewarm experience and now, years later, still the same old.

Too many years of nothing new or creative, and the endless oldies show. FM make it too hard to be a fan.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
If a tour for purely mercenary reasons is what they currently giving then I'm keepin what I got.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Please add:

"P.S. - Not all of your fans feel this way, and some are super happy with the tour. So from them, keep it up...and we can't wait for the new music, even if this tour doesn't have a 'name'!"

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Ledgie

Im kinda tired of all the negative people on these boards, im suprised i still read the crap after all my 12+ years being a lurker here! I saw opening night columbus, i live n ohio...and the last 4 years its been nicks, nicks, nicks, mac in 09' and im just grateful! This tour is amazing becuz there all actually happy to be onstage together, unlike Say You Will when Stevie coulda gave 2 Shi*s if she was there.....the vocals show it and this was 10 years ago. Stevie Nicks has been reborn somehow and i luv it as i prefer her over all the other members....i come to the shows to see her! So all u negative people take it somewhere else....Im a happy 28 year old fan and love anything i can get....and ill b n cleveland june 15th for the same show i cant wait to see....the countdown begins!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I wonder why you think that is lucky.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
Please add:

"P.S. - Not all of your fans feel this way, and some are super happy with the tour. So from them, keep it up...and we can't wait for the new music, even if this tour doesn't have a 'name'!"
I'm on this side.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default My take

I disagree, I was at MSG the other night and I had a great time. Seeing the close to sell out crowd on their feet all night, listening to 65 year olds rocking out a 23 song 2 1/2 set. I will appreciate anything they do in their age.

I'm loving Fleetwood Mac Live 2013, cant wait 'till April 24th at Newark, NJ Prudential Center!!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockalilcutie25 View Post
Im kinda tired of all the negative people on these boards, im suprised i still read the crap after all my 12+ years being a lurker here! I saw opening night columbus, i live n ohio...and the last 4 years its been nicks, nicks, nicks, mac in 09' and im just grateful! This tour is amazing becuz there all actually happy to be onstage together, unlike Say You Will when Stevie coulda gave 2 Shi*s if she was there.....the vocals show it and this was 10 years ago. Stevie Nicks has been reborn somehow and i luv it as i prefer her over all the other members....i come to the shows to see her! So all u negative people take it somewhere else....Im a happy 28 year old fan and love anything i can get....and ill b n cleveland june 15th for the same show i cant wait to see....the countdown begins!
Well said, she is definitely more on board and putting more effort in than she was with SYW, and I am PUMPED to see them in Detroit in June! And the ending to Sisters of the Moon at MSG...WoW.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
Please add:

Pretty much my sentiments, although I do understand where the frustration comes from. I just don't share it.