User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t impressed by or happy with who they brought in.
To me, these choices were insult to injury.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And another thing I want to add about Kristen B. swearing at Mick online, just imagine how pissed off she is on losing out on all that money. Talk about counting your chickens before they're hatched. Imagine all the plans the Buckingham's had made to use their up and coming ten million dollars. And now all those gigantic dreams are just swept away down the river of no return.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ You mean like watching the Christmas bonus flying out the window?

I don't really think money means that much to Lindsey. He and his family are quite comfortable. He has always said the "big machine" makes it possible for him to do the small machine- the stuff he likes to bring out to the boutique fans. But I definitely believe Lindsey will still be creative and may even join up with another band. (the rest of the Heartbreakers are available, along with so many other talented musicians- people that aren't even in the public eye)

This old article from Rolling Stone shows his attitude toward money:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ely-guy-77858/

What I remember most about Lindsey in most recent times is when that whole "fan club" debacle rolled out on mickdotcom or whatever it was called. Lindsey and his management were the only ones to speak out against it.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
And another thing I want to add about Kristen B. swearing at Mick online, just imagine how pissed off she is on losing out on all that money. Talk about counting your chickens before they're hatched. Imagine all the plans the Buckingham's had made to use their up and coming ten million dollars. And now all those gigantic dreams are just swept away down the river of no return.
Oh absolutely. He no doubt makes millions off royalties but it seems like those millions get spent easily. I believe her store closed and she opened a horse farm/school thing recently.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What's even worse is all the sacrifices Lindsey has made over the years by not taking more production credits on albums and co write credits on songs. The royalty money he's already sacrificed for the sake of being politically correct and keeping the peace in the band is outrageous. And then to get kicked in the face and out of the band is beyond comprehension. I think Mick deserves to be called a Mother ****er, on social media or not. Hell, I'd even throw an Old Goat Breath Stevie's way if it was up to me.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I always found her more supportive of her husband's career with FM than his solo adventure. Now that his time with FM is over, well, I guess it's time to pay some attention to his solo thing. Pretty much the same happens now with some of his "fans".
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
To me, these choices were insult to injury.
My friend Steve sees Fleetwood Mac as a crockpot—any good ingredient should get chucked in, where it'll simmer for several hours and break down and be just delicious. Throw in a little Dave Walker, Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, Dave Mason, Neil Finn (maybe throw in Tim Finn while you're at it), Sheryl Crow, Mike Campbell—if they're good musicians, you'll have a tangy gazpacho.

I see Fleetwood Mac as a mathematically precise recipe (the way baking recipes are precise)—you can't just toss in anything and expect it to gel. I love hollandaise sauce, but I don't want it ladled over my gelato.

The best members in Fleetwood Mac over the years weren't just good musicians—they were the inevitably right musicians for that group. That rightness isn't easy to articulate, but most of us know it when we see it and hear it. Peter, Jeremy, Danny, Mick, and John had an inevitable rightness. They were charismatic, musically inventive, wacky, electrifying—the cultural chinks in the wall. The Rumours 5 at least for a time had its own charisma. Even the Welch+McVie+McVie+Weston+Fleetwood group created a memorable whole out of disparate parts. The recipe in each case worked.

I realize that we haven't really seen or heard from this latest group of parts, but we're all familiar enough with the two new guys and the departed guy to know that we're not going to be experiencing another classic lineup. By the way, those guys were memorable elements of their respective bands—Mike Campbell's guitar playing shot the Heartbreakers to worldwide popularity. But he isn't the right ingredient for Fleetwood Mac.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My friend Steve sees Fleetwood Mac as a crockpot—any good ingredient should get chucked in, where it'll simmer for several hours and break down and be just delicious. Throw in a little Dave Walker, Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, Dave Mason, Neil Finn (maybe throw in Tim Finn while you're at it), Sheryl Crow, Mike Campbell—if they're good musicians, you'll have a tangy gazpacho.

I see Fleetwood Mac as a mathematically precise recipe (the way baking recipes are precise)—you can't just toss in anything and expect it to gel. I love hollandaise sauce, but I don't want it ladled over my gelato.

The best members in Fleetwood Mac over the years weren't just good musicians—they were the inevitably right musicians for that group. That rightness isn't easy to articulate, but most of us know it when we see it and hear it. Peter, Jeremy, Danny, Mick, and John had an inevitable rightness. They were charismatic, musically inventive, wacky, electrifying—the cultural chinks in the wall. The Rumours 5 at least for a time had its own charisma. Even the Welch+McVie+McVie+Weston+Fleetwood group created a memorable whole out of disparate parts. The recipe in each case worked.

I realize that we haven't really seen or heard from this latest group of parts, but we're all familiar enough with the two new guys and the departed guy to know that we're not going to be experiencing another classic lineup. By the way, those guys were memorable elements of their respective bands—Mike Campbell's guitar playing shot the Heartbreakers to worldwide popularity. But he isn't the right ingredient for Fleetwood Mac.
Well said. Fleetwood Mac: the band who actually thrust greatness away!

Last edited by sodascouts; 08-11-2018 at 09:24 AM..
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are in a completely different class than the rest of the listed people.

Quote:
I think it’s too early to tell. And, who said it was going to be another classic lineup? I don’t think anyone, even those of us who are excited about it, believes it could possibly be mentioned in the same breath as the Peter Green or Rumours versions of Fleetwood Mac. There isn’t time for that and the current state of the industry wouldn’t allow for it. Still, it certainly has the potential to be compelling, if not great.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are in a completely different class than the rest of the listed people.
Different class? Higher class? Lower class? Who's talking about class? In fact, my point was that individual class of musician is largely irrelevant in any consideration of the rightness of "fit" within a band. Did that point soar over your head, Steve?

Quote:
I think it’s too early to tell. And, who said it was going to be another classic lineup? I don’t think anyone, even those of us who are excited about it, believes it could possibly be mentioned in the same breath as the Peter Green or Rumours versions of Fleetwood Mac.
But that absence of potential is precisely what's frustrating a bunch of Rumours fans—they lost a classic grouping (even past its heyday) and got stuck with a . . . federation of more-or-less interesting individuals. Dave Walker was interesting (I love "The Derelict"), Burnette was interesting, Vito was interesting, Sheryl Crow would have been interesting. But these individual ingredients didn't (or wouldn't) capture the imaginations of generations; they'd have left no lasting mark on the culture. The effects of the 1990 Fleetwood Mac have long since dissipated, and the 1994 Fleetwood Mac never reverberated at all. My point is that the current lineup does not have the potential to make any sort of lasting artistic statement because it isn't anything more than a collection of interesting musicians and songwriters, and that's a sad end to the band.

Quote:
Still, it certainly has the potential to be compelling, if not great.
You may find it so. Many others of course don't. I find the current lineup potentially no more compelling than Coldplay. These are subjective matters; you can't issue a ruling on them.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I had to giggle reading this post. With all due respect to Dave Walker, Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, and Dave Mason who are fine musicians ... Mike Campbell and Neil Finn are in a whole different musical league than they are.

Mike Campbell is widely considered to be one of the best rock guitarists of all-time. Mike is also a great songwriter having co-written classics such as "Boys of Summer" and many others.

And Neil Finn is widely considered to be one of the best songwriters on the planet having been inducted into the Australian Music Hall of Fame.

Moreover, Campbell and Finn have a long history of being great "team players" elevating their bands to very high levels. They are in a completely different musical stratosphere compared to Walker, Vito, Bramlett, Mason etc.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post

And Neil Finn is widely considered to be one of the best songwriters on the planet...
Neil Young... maybe.
Neil Diamond... maybe.

I think you got your Neils mixed up.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
And Neil Finn is widely considered to be one of the best songwriters on the planet having been inducted into the Australian Music Hall of Fame.
Sorry, but LOL!
Quote:
Moreover, Campbell and Finn have a long history of being great "team players" elevating their bands to very high levels.
According to his own words, the "teamplayer" Mike Campbell managed to stand next to the dying Tom Petty each night without even realizing his failing health! I wouldn't want someone so unheeding and detached in any team.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Sorry, but LOL
I am unsure if you were laughing at the fact he was an inductee into the Australian hall of fame or the part about him being one of the better current songwriters?
Surely, not the first one? Laughing about an artists accomplishments is really pretty harsh and unkind, especially when I am sure you are aware of how difficult it is to get into the American based Hall of Fame. I believe AC/DC is the only Australian band/artist to get inducted and there is incredible music that comes out of Australia so it's understandable that you would establish your own to recognise homebred talent.........and for the record I am not Australian.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
I am unsure if you were laughing at the fact he was an inductee into the Australian hall of fame or the part about him being one of the better current songwriters?
Surely, not the first one? Laughing about an artists accomplishments is really pretty harsh and unkind, especially when I am sure you are aware of how difficult it is to get into the American based Hall of Fame. I believe AC/DC is the only Australian band/artist to get inducted and there is incredible music that comes out of Australia so it's understandable that you would establish your own to recognise homebred talent.........and for the record I am not Australian.
I actually find the fact that Australia has it's own little Hall of Fame quite charming. AFAIK Germany has none and I'm thankful for that. But I find it quite amusing that everything is tried here to make Neil Finn more than he is, that may be a good musician, but nothing more (or less). There is a reason that it is difficult to get into the Hall, it's exclusive and there are alot musicians in western culture that are not in there.