Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
It does for me too.

Also, Sanne has posted bigger photos on her Tumblr:
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/pos...aunch-in#notes
she looks fantastic and genuinely happy to be out and about!! thanks for sharing these.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess Mick also got to see his adult daughters this visit. Plus, he's a grandpa now.

Michele
Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post

She's an amazing talent--I hope that realisation sinks in / comes back to her.
Yes, I hope she realizes how talented she is and the positive affect her music has had on many lives! Believe in yourself Christine McVie!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Junior Ledgie

If she is seeking help in the form of therapy then good for her! Therapy is great, and she seems like the type to really benefit from it.. seeing as she's the kind of person who's blatantly honest and says whatever is on her mind... In my experience, the more honest you are with your therapist, the more they can help. Can you imagine her in a therapy session though? Kinda hard...

Therapist: So tell me Christine, what's been bothering you lately?

Chris: Everybody's stupid f***ing shirts...yours included.

Therapist: Ok...let's take some time to talk about your feelings around these shirts...

Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkaboutme90 View Post

Chris: Everybody's stupid f***ing shirts...yours included.

Therapist: Ok...let's take some time to talk about your feelings around these shirts...

The doctor takes out an extra notepad to write on when Christine's reveals how she hates anyone looking at her dogs when they're eating.

Michele
Old 09-28-2013, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The doctor takes out an extra notepad to write on when Christine's reveals how she hates anyone looking at her dogs when they're eating.
Or how she doesn't trust the people who check her drains.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s Not Only Rock ‘n’ Roll by Jenny Boyd Ph.D with Holly George Warren – book review. Posted on January 17, 2014 by Robert Pegg -

See more at: http://louderthanwar.com/its-not-onl....wQwe84D5.dpuf

Robert Pegg reviews It’s Not Only Rock ‘n’ Roll by Jenny Boyd Ph.D in which iconic musicians reveal the source of their creativity.

A word of warning if you are considering buying this book. You may have already read it.

First published in the USA and Japan in 1992 under the title ‘Musicians In Tune’ the book is a rerelease with no additional information, no revision, no update and no explanation. Curiously, the dedication on the inside leaf is to the memory of the late George Harrison, despite the fact he was very much alive and well when it was written and first published. Others that have passed away since first publication have the word ‘late’ prefixed before their name throughout the book, but that’s as close as you’re going to get to an update.

The author, psychologist Jenny Boyd, was for many years close to the heart of the music industry. Sister of Pattie Boyd, the first wife of both Eric Clapton and George Harrison and herself sometime wife to Mick Fleetwood, it is from these peripheral edges of the industry that Boyd has dived into her Rolodex and used her array of contacts to form her Ph.D thesis on what it is to be creative and how to enhance and nurture your creative soul. ‘It’s Not Only Rock ’n’ Roll’ is that thesis.

It takes some doing to make an academic paper entertaining and interesting to the average reader and the book relies solely on the recognition of the names of the people interviewed for the research to hold the readers interest. Fleetwood Mac, some of the Rolling Stones, a couple of Eagles, a Beatle or two, a Jefferson Airplane and a Kirsty MacColl are all interviewed at length about their background, influences and their drive to create music.

The first couple of chapters are devoted to the aforementioned as well as many others disclosing that as children they were surrounded by musical instruments as well as parents and other relatives who encouraged their talent and creativity. The theory therefore is that if a growing child is encouraged to be creative and has access to the tools enabling that creativity then in all likelihood they will be creative. I’ll leave it to the reader to decide just how obvious that statement is and in one of the very few revelatory moments in the book, Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane nails this theory:

“We were middle-class kids with no problems compared to what other people in the world face. We weren’t rich but we weren’t poor. We were comfortable, we went to college. We were just drifting without any idea what we wanted to do.”

Likewise, tales of vivid dreams and imaginary friends from childhood are certainly not exclusive to people of a creative nature. That’s simply called – childhood.

The theories on creativity that lie at the heart of the book appear on the face of it to be reasonably sound and they may be worthy of some additional credit if the author had taken the twenty years or so since it’s first publication to cast a fresh eye over them. The popular musical landscape has changed enormously in the last two decades, as popular music is wont to do, and it is in refusing to acknowledge that change or give any real credit to any other musical genre other than traditional or prog rock that reveals how hollow the theories are. This thesis is not just about what is said – it’s about what isn’t said.

For example, electronic music, which was really coming to the fore at the time of initial publication is dismissed by the interviewees as “lacking the expression of the soul” or blocking the audience off from “creativity of the spirit” - a wholly unfair and dismissive attitude that has more than the tang of sour grapes about it. The book is firmly locked into the 60s and 70s and point-blank refuses to leave. Punk rock gets a blink-and-you-miss-it nod and popular music like Madonna is snobbishly dismissed as “basically crass and appeals at the crass level”. Rap and Hip-Hop are given some due credit and in another moment of unexpected but very welcome clarity, Ice-T admits that creating music is “nothing hard (to him)”, “it’s easy” but no sooner has he said it then we are back to the Jungian theories of collective unconsciousness as though he’d never said anything at all.

It would have been to the authors enormous credit had she stepped outside of her comfort zone and examined the creative process behind electronic music, punk and rap but unfortunately this is an opportunity missed. Punk rock was not born of middle-class parents indulging their creative children and hip-hop and rap didn’t even have the cadged or stolen guitars and drums that punk boasted. All they had to start with was the lyrical, poetic dexterity of it’s artists imagination. Now that, is creativity.

As an academic dissertation the book is fairly pedestrian stuff. If you remove all the famous names and celebrity anecdotes it is a distinctly average study in the psychology of creativity with a bit of cod spiritualism thrown in. Relying heavily as it does on the theories of Swiss psychologist Carl Jung and the process of self-actualisation the book betrays its weakness. In recent years Jung has been heavily discredited as have the self-actualisation theories of Abraham Maslow, who is also heavily referenced.

The chapters addressing drugs and alcohol used by artists to enhance their creativity come from a predominantly retrospective anti-drugs point of view which is understandable, if not admirable. The one area where the book does succeed and has a strong point to make is to expose the myth that drugs and alcohol can enhance creativity or, on the occasion that they do, the resultant physical and psychological price is often not one worth paying.

The appendix shows that all the subjects of this book were asked exactly the same questions in exactly the same format. They all gave, more or less, exactly the same answers. There is another conclusion to be drawn here: the conclusion is that far from being bold and courageous and exciting and innovative and creative, musicians are in fact, a bit dull. Because if everybody claims to be unique then nobody is.

The message of the book is this: Do we all have the creative impulse inside of us? Yes, of course we do. All we need to do is find our own gift and nurture our creative impulse, because nurturing breeds self-confidence and a will to create and express your true self. That much is self evident.

It’s a laudable sentiment and it’s all coming from a very good place, but in trying to carefully balance academia and popular culture the book unfortunately succeeds in neither arena and the casual reader will be left as disappointed as the serious student.

- See more at: http://louderthanwar.com/its-not-onl....wQwe84D5.dpuf
Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Examiner, April 2, 2014

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...tivity?cid=rss

New book, It's Not Only Rock 'N' Roll, reveals source of artists creativity

The ex-wife of drummer Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac spent four years interviewing 75 world famous musicians asking them questions referencing how they create hit songs and what they're muses, including the writing process are. She has now published her findings in an exclusive new book, It's Not Only Rock 'N' Roll: Iconic Musicians Reveal the Source of Their Creativity.

Jenny Boyd grew up in 60s London, at the peak of rock 'n' roll, and her sister Pattie, ended up marrying Beatle legend, George Harrison, and then later, guitar legend Eric Clapton. Even later, she would marry drummer, Mick Fleetwood, of Fleetwood Mac. While living in Los Angeles, Boyd gathered these interviews as part of her Ph.D. dissertation, that resulted in a book about musicians and their process of creating music and lyrics. This particular book came out in the US and Japan in 1992. The book has since ben updated, with new candid photographs, and is available through John Blake Publishing in the UK and the US as it's present titled, It's Not Only Rock 'N' Roll.

In this unique and original collection, 75 of the world's most recognizable musicians reveal-many for the first time-their thoughts on creating music. Psychologist Jenny Boyd has probed the minds and souls of these artists and has delved into the drive to create, the importance of nurturing creativity, the role of unconscious influences and the effects of chemicals, alcohol and drugs on the creative process. Among the music legends who contributed exclusive interviews include Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Julian Lennon, Don Henley, Hank Marvin, Keith Richard, Ringo Starr, Steve Winwood, Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks and Joni Mitchell.

An early review from Publishers Weekly said: "An often-fascinating glimpse into the inner lives of performing artists." In revisiting this extraordinary material, the book shines a light on the creative process of several artists who are no longer with us, among them Harrison, Ravi Shankar and Warren Zevon.

"Most of my life had been spent with musicians," explains Boyd. "My sister Pattie had married Beatle George Harrison, and then later guitarist Eric Clapton. I had been married to Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac (twice!) and knew what it meant to be the wife of a musician."

It's Not Only Rock 'N' Roll is published by John Blake Publishing in the UK and the United States and available from both traditional and internet retailers.

Dr. Jenny Boyd is a psychologist with many personal ties to the music world. (She inspired folk-rock singer Donovan to write the 1960's hit "Jennifer Juniper"). Jenny is the founder and director of Spring Workshops, organizing psychotherapeutic groups for people in need of personal development. She lives in London.

Holly George-Warren is a Grammy©-nominated writer, editor, producer and music consultant who has written and edited more than 40 music-related books, many as the editor of Rolling Stone Press from 1993-2001. She lives in New York.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had it pre-ordered and downloaded it on Kindle yesterday. It's in the queue with four other books I'm reading. It looks to be a great read.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:21 PM

I think I'll pick this up, too.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I never knew Jenny became a psychologist- shows you how much attention I pay. What a fitting career for a former rock star wife.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The Examiner, April 2, 2014

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...tivity?cid=rss

New book, It's Not Only Rock 'N' Roll, reveals source of artists creativity

The ex-wife of drummer Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac spent four years interviewing 75 world famous musicians asking them questions referencing how they create hit songs and what they're muses, including the writing process are. She has now published her findings in an exclusive new book, It's Not Only Rock 'N' Roll: Iconic Musicians Reveal the Source of Their Creativity.

Jenny Boyd grew up in 60s London, at the peak of rock 'n' roll, and her sister Pattie, ended up marrying Beatle legend, George Harrison, and then later, guitar legend Eric Clapton. Even later, she would marry drummer, Mick Fleetwood, of Fleetwood Mac. While living in Los Angeles, Boyd gathered these interviews as part of her Ph.D. dissertation, that resulted in a book about musicians and their process of creating music and lyrics. This particular book came out in the US and Japan in 1992. The book has since ben updated, with new candid photographs, and is available through John Blake Publishing in the UK and the US as it's present titled, It's Not Only Rock 'N' Roll.

In this unique and original collection, 75 of the world's most recognizable musicians reveal-many for the first time-their thoughts on creating music. Psychologist Jenny Boyd has probed the minds and souls of these artists and has delved into the drive to create, the importance of nurturing creativity, the role of unconscious influences and the effects of chemicals, alcohol and drugs on the creative process. Among the music legends who contributed exclusive interviews include Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Julian Lennon, Don Henley, Hank Marvin, Keith Richard, Ringo Starr, Steve Winwood, Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks and Joni Mitchell.

An early review from Publishers Weekly said: "An often-fascinating glimpse into the inner lives of performing artists." In revisiting this extraordinary material, the book shines a light on the creative process of several artists who are no longer with us, among them Harrison, Ravi Shankar and Warren Zevon.

"Most of my life had been spent with musicians," explains Boyd. "My sister Pattie had married Beatle George Harrison, and then later guitarist Eric Clapton. I had been married to Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac (twice!) and knew what it meant to be the wife of a musician."

It's Not Only Rock 'N' Roll is published by John Blake Publishing in the UK and the United States and available from both traditional and internet retailers.

Dr. Jenny Boyd is a psychologist with many personal ties to the music world. (She inspired folk-rock singer Donovan to write the 1960's hit "Jennifer Juniper"). Jenny is the founder and director of Spring Workshops, organizing psychotherapeutic groups for people in need of personal development. She lives in London.

Holly George-Warren is a Grammy©-nominated writer, editor, producer and music consultant who has written and edited more than 40 music-related books, many as the editor of Rolling Stone Press from 1993-2001. She lives in New York.
is Christine in it too?? I'd love to hear what Stevie said.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By Ronald Alexander Ph.D, April 17, 2014 Huffington Post

Mindfulness, Musicians and the Creative Flow

I had the pleasure of interviewing the lovely and unique Jenny Boyd, author of It's Not Only Rock'n'Roll: Iconic Musicians Reveal The Source of Their Creativity. Jenny was a model with her sister Pattie Boyd in the psychedelic 60's. The two of them where known as the original, "Apple Music Girls," living in an exciting time of music, and exotic travels. Her sister married George Harrison and then Eric Clapton. Jenny was married to Mick Fleetwood and drummer Ian Wallace. She also spent time in India with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the Beatles, Beach Boys and Prudence Farrow. Jenny has lived an extraordinary life living so close to the creative flow and has authored an wonderful book on creativity by interviewing 75 iconic musicians and singer songwriters about their work.

RA: Jenny, what gave you the inspiration to write this book?

JB: I was fascinated from a very early age by what made people creative and having been surrounded by musicians most of my life, it was an obvious choice, to ask them the questions I'd always wanted to know about the creative process. I believe musicians have a very special gift. They are the torchbearers, the spokespersons of our time. Their songs express not only the feelings and ideas of the individual but of each generation and its culture.

RA: Did you find any common threads in what they had to say?

JB: All of the 75 musicians, except for two had nurturing parents or grandparents who were supportive of their creativity. I found this was an important element and because of this nurturing environment from a young age, it gave them the courage and faith in themselves that is needed to pursue their creative yearnings, to delve into the depths of their unconscious.

RA: You interviewed the late psychologist Frank Barron, a pioneer in creative research. That must have been pretty inspiring for you?

JB: It was. He told me that creative individuals are persons whose dedication is nothing less than a quest for ultimate meaning. What is enjoined with them is to listen to the voice within and allow it to express itself.

RA: The voice within is the creative collective that Swiss Psychologist Carl Jung referred to as the collective unconscious.

JB: Yes, musicians seem to have no fear of exploring the unknown, entering into the creative world of the unconscious. They all have this incredible drive to create. Keith Richards said, "If you're a musician, you can never really stop playing, even if you don't do any gigs or you retire. You're still in a way playing inside yourself." It's like Jung said, "Creative power is mightier than its possessor."

RA: We're verging into the spiritual here. Were musicians aware of that side of themselves?

JB: Absolutely. They all described in different ways what Abraham Maslow called a Peak Experience. Most of them had never spoken about it before, and some, such as Eric Clapton had no idea anyone else other than himself had experienced this feeling. They described it as a sort of midway point between conscious and unconscious, a place of timelessness, a dream state. It gave them a feeling of awe and reverence, being given a gift, being used as a vessel and at times the feeling of going into a trance. To get to that state many of them said they had to surrender to the power of the creative unconscious.

RA: It sounds very similar to mindfulness meditation.

JB: That's right. Mindfulness meditation allows you to flow into a state of open mind to access your creativity but as soon as the ego takes over, and tells you you're special or the best meditator in the world, it all disappears! You need to surrender and let go in order to hold the space but once you start grasping at it you lose the feeling of peak oneness.

RA: Did these musicians say they had any special times of the day or week they were more creative or any particular environments?

JB: George Harrison said he always liked to write in the early hours of the morning, when everything was still and everyone asleep.

RA: That's a good time to practice mindfulness meditation as well. In Asia and India this is the time of day where the prana of the earth and universe is felt to be the strongest.

JB: As you know, George was a meditator, and another musician, flautist and saxophonist Paul Horn who was in India with us enjoyed the practice of regular meditation.

RA: That's right. You went to India with the Beatles. Were you able to witness their creativity at work?

JB: Yes, I was very lucky. I would sit with my sister Pattie and the rest of the Beatles on the roof of our bungalow, watching and listening to them as they talked about their mediation or not being able to sleep at night. Then they'd start playing their guitars creating a song that would later be heard on The White Album. It was fantastic.

RA: What about drugs and alcohol? I notice you have a chapter on that in your book.

JB: Most of the musicians who talked about drugs and alcohol said that to begin with it would diminish the anxiety that can stall or prevent the creative process. Being high is like being put into another world, one without form or structure, similar to the unconscious. It would help them get the conscious mind, the busy mind, out of the way. But for many the tool became the end rather than the means. As Eric Clapton said, "The booze becomes more important than the doors it opened, so that's the trap." A lot of these musicians had stopped drinking and using when I interviewed them and were able to talk about the difference in their creativity since stopping.

RA: And do we all have the potential to be creative?

JB: Yes. Joni Mitchell said, "The net with which you capture creativity is made up of the threads of your alertness." It's about expressing yourself. As psychologist Rollo May says, "If you do not express your own original ideas, or listen to your own being, you will have betrayed yourself."

RA: Jenny, your book not only shares the context and development of these iconic musicians but also shows that anyone who takes the time to slow down, relax and listen to their inner self can tap into the richness of this creative collective. So taking time for a Mindful Pause throughout the day really is a great way to turn on the creative self. Thank you for writing such an inspiring and interesting book.

Follow Ronald Alexander, Ph.D. on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ronalexanderphd
Old 04-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I never knew Jenny became a psychologist- shows you how much attention I pay. What a fitting career for a former rock star wife.
John Denver's first wife, Annie, also went on to become a psychologist.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Canterbury Times Festival Events, May 6, 2014

http://www.canterburytimes.co.uk/Whi...ail/story.html

It’s not Only Rock n’ Roll – Dr Jenny Boyd

5.30pm Sunday, May 11

Dr Jenny Boyd, psychologist, 60’s model, sister of Pattie, and ex-wife of Mick Fleetwood, spent four years interviewing world famous musicians for her book, It’s Not Only Rock ‘n’ Roll. Jenny shares her insights with Andy Miller into the minds of the world’s most iconic musicians including Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Keith Richards, Ringo Starr, Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks and Joni Mitchell.

Read more: http://www.canterburytimes.co.uk/Whi...#ixzz313ERLNKO