Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Peter Green in Cork

Have just returned from Peter Green and Friends show in Old Oak, Cork, 22.10.09.
Like many I was thrilled to hear that Peter was back playing and even more thrilled to see a small note in our local newspaper that he was coming to Cork. Having previously seen him twice in Cork with The Splinter Band, and viewed recent videos on You Tube, I kept telling myself not to have unreasonable expectations of hearing the Peter of the 60's. I needn't have worried, this was not the Peter of the past but the new revitalised Peter of 2009 ,lead singer and lead guitarist in a 5 man band playing songs from his Mayall,Fleetwood Mac and solo years and covers (including Dylan and The Rolling Stones,Willie Dixon and some blues classics). The venue was a bar, hot and sweaty, standing only and sold out despite minimal publicity. Peter looked well and for the 90 minutes or so on stage appeared to me to be someone enjoying what he was doing, smiling regularly and in full harmony with the rest of the band. As usual in a bar, there there was a low rumble of chatter from the back of the audience, possibly because many weren't familiar with the non F.Mac parts of the set, but their was an eerie silence during Albatros. While the sound from Peter's Mic. was a little fuzzy his voice was much stronger than when I saw The Splinter Group, and the recent You Tube videos, which was a very pleasant surprise. I'm neither a musician or guitarist so can't comment on the technique but I have almost every track that he's played on since the early 60's and I liked what I was hearing. I would strongly recommend all Ledge members to go and see this band with an open mind, there is a freshness and warmth in their set, no question of going through the motions, 5 players clearly playing for their own enjoyment as well as the audiences'.
P.S. Has any member any information on an early 1970 concert played by F Mac in The Savoy Cinema, Cork (Yes it did happen,I was there,but the memories have faded)
Old 10-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for sharing your experiences, very well put

/z
Old 10-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert arnopp View Post
Have just returned from Peter Green and Friends show in Old Oak, Cork, 22.10.09.
Like many I was thrilled to hear that Peter was back playing and even more thrilled to see a small note in our local newspaper that he was coming to Cork. Having previously seen him twice in Cork with The Splinter Band, and viewed recent videos on You Tube, I kept telling myself not to have unreasonable expectations of hearing the Peter of the 60's. I needn't have worried, this was not the Peter of the past but the new revitalised Peter of 2009 ,lead singer and lead guitarist in a 5 man band playing songs from his Mayall,Fleetwood Mac and solo years and covers (including Dylan and The Rolling Stones,Willie Dixon and some blues classics). The venue was a bar, hot and sweaty, standing only and sold out despite minimal publicity. Peter looked well and for the 90 minutes or so on stage appeared to me to be someone enjoying what he was doing, smiling regularly and in full harmony with the rest of the band. As usual in a bar, there there was a low rumble of chatter from the back of the audience, possibly because many weren't familiar with the non F.Mac parts of the set, but their was an eerie silence during Albatros. While the sound from Peter's Mic. was a little fuzzy his voice was much stronger than when I saw The Splinter Group, and the recent You Tube videos, which was a very pleasant surprise. I'm neither a musician or guitarist so can't comment on the technique but I have almost every track that he's played on since the early 60's and I liked what I was hearing. I would strongly recommend all Ledge members to go and see this band with an open mind, there is a freshness and warmth in their set, no question of going through the motions, 5 players clearly playing for their own enjoyment as well as the audiences'.
P.S. Has any member any information on an early 1970 concert played by F Mac in The Savoy Cinema, Cork (Yes it did happen,I was there,but the memories have faded)
I knew I should have made the 20 minute journey to the city..

Goddam my laziness..

Can't believe the Mac played the Savoy?? That's unreal!

"If you see somebody running down the street naked every single day, you stop looking up."- Stephanie Lynn Nicks
Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAMagnet View Post
I knew I should have made the 20 minute journey to the city..

Goddam my laziness..

Can't believe the Mac played the Savoy?? That's unreal!
According to Dinky Dawson's tourbook they played the Savoy in Cork on feb 27, 1970.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... including Dylan...
Really what song and did anyone record this?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tonight I'll be Staying Here with You or Absolutely Sweet Marie, probably.
But those are sung by Mike Dodd.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
there is a freshness and warmth in their set, no question of going through the motions
What a wonderful review, what great descriptive words -- freshness, warmth, enjoyment. Let's face it, that's 180 degrees from the current FM machine.

Thank you, Robert.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Tonight I'll be Staying Here with You or Absolutely Sweet Marie, probably.
But those are sung by Mike Dodd.
See that isn't what I want to hear...I want to hear that Peter Green did a Dylan song...

In the entire history of FM there have only been four Dylan covers that I know of and three of them were solo work (Stevie, Dave M, Billy) and of course Lindsey doing Love Minus Zero, No Limit.

I really wanted another one
Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default peter green in Cork

Sorry for delay in replying. The Dylan song was Absolutely Sweet Marie, Mike did take lead vocals, Peter played solo and joined in the chorus as did many of the audience. It would be misleading to say these are Peter Green solo concerts as there is very much a group ethic in evidence and Peter seems very settled in that context, taking all guitar solos and 90% of vocals. There were many there recording snippets with mobile phones and I did see one guy with a small video camera but I doubt there were any "official" recordings made. There are two clips from the gig on You Tube, taken I presume on a mobile phone, but the sound quality is poor, I promise it sounded much better in reality. Mike Dodd did almost all the intros and kept things moving along with very short breaks between songs. For the softhearted there was a nice moment at the end, after the encore, they walked off at the back of the stage, Peter turned around to the audience and gave a cheery wave as you would to an old friend and got a great response from many of us elderly fans who hope to see the band again soon.
Thank you Wouter, for the date of the Savoy concert, my main memory is of the comedy act Mick Fleetwood and Jeremy did, and our youthful hopes to see Christine Perfect. How i would love to have a recording of that night.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you very much for your review and observations, Robert. It sounds like you had a great evening.

I found this one of the two clips on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-bNot_Q_0

Ms Moose
Old 10-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds like a great show.

Although I have to admit when I saw the title I was rather hoping someone had carved a bust of Peter in an unusual medium.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some more from Cork.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_UCpKWgf5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQsRXrXUz0

Enjoy!

Mario.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
Sounds like a great show.

Although I have to admit when I saw the title I was rather hoping someone had carved a bust of Peter in an unusual medium.
God one!

- and thank you for the clips, Mario. Interesting new angle.

Ms Moose