Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick and ZZ (M.O.B. recording)

Contact Music 8-23-11

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...-album_1241534

Wyclef Jean, Grace Potter and Nickelback are among the eclectic mix of stars paying tribute to bluesy rockers Zz Top on a new album.

The acts have recorded new versions of the trio's hits, including Legs, Rough Boy and Sharp Dressed Man for the compilation A Tribute From Friends.

The album features the first recording by Mick Fleetwood's new supergroup M.O.B., which includes his Fleetwood Mac bandmate John MCVie, Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and guitarist Jonny Lang.

Fleetwood admits he was thrilled to be asked to be a part of the tribute: "We’re delighted to honour ZZ Top this way. Their legacy, like that of the original Fleetwood Mac, is steeped in the blues we all love so much. I know that Steven and Jonny feel as strongly about their legacy as John and I do."

The new album also features covers by Filter, Mastodon, Wolfmother, Loaded and Jamey Johnson.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After Billy F Gibbons, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard were informed that A Tribute From Friends was in the works, they issued the following statement: "When we were told there was going to be a ZZ Top tribute album a while ago and logically asked, 'Who are we paying tribute to?' Then we found out that a bunch of great artists were paying tribute to us and we were in disbelief.

"For the past 40 or so years, all we've done is get out there and crank it and try to have a good time while doing so. To a great extent, we've succeeded since we're still having a good time so that would be reward enough for 'the same three guys playing the same three chords.' Now comes A Tribute From Friends, and we're so delighted that our music resonates with these great musicians whom we so admire."

A Tribute From Friends Tracklisting
1. Sharp Dressed Man - The M.O.B. (Mick Fleetwood, Steven Tyler, Jonny Lang & John McVie)
2. Gimme All Your Lovin' - Filter
3. Tush - Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
4. Cheap Sunglasses - Wolfmother
5. Got Me Under Pressure - Duff McKagan's Loaded
6. Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers - Coheed & Cambria
7. Just Got Paid - Mastodon
8. Rough Boy - Wyclef Jean
9. Waitin' For The Bus/ Jesus Just Left Chicago - Daughtry
10. La Grange - Jamey Johnson

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...october-490445
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pics of M.O.B.

A few pics of The M.O.B.
Looks like Mr. Tyler borrowed Mick's balls...
Wonder what else these guys will be doing?
http://tommylee.com/members-of-fleet...-in-my-studio/
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oddly enough, I've heard Steve was turned on by Joe's band (which became Aerosmith) when they did "Rattlesnake Shake" at a club show.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

some more info
http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/jan...boration.shtml

Last edited by mottabam; 08-24-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So I guess this means the true end of the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band featuring Rick Vito.

How sad. Not that Jonny Lang is bad, but he's no Rick, that's for sure. That's really a shame. The MFBB had such potential to be the blues alternative or little brother to the Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac going forward.

I'm very disappointed for Rick, Lenny and Mark. Hopefully, the three of them will join forces, get a great drummer and move forward playing live shows.

I'm interested to see what the M.O.B. puts out after this ZZ Top tribute.

Does anyone know exactly what M.O.B. stands for? Didn't see anything in the articles that explained that.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Does anyone know exactly what M.O.B. stands for? Didn't see anything in the articles that explained that.
More Old Bastards?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wondered too. I was thinking Men of Blues.

Michele
Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So I guess this means the true end of the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band featuring Rick Vito.

How sad. Not that Jonny Lang is bad, but he's no Rick, that's for sure. That's really a shame. The MFBB had such potential to be the blues alternative or little brother to the Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac going forward.

I'm very disappointed for Rick, Lenny and Mark. Hopefully, the three of them will join forces, get a great drummer and move forward playing live shows.

I'm not sure that it DOES mean the end of the MFBB. This sounds like it's a one-off project. Lang and Tyler have busy schedules of their own. I can't imagine they'd scrap that to do M.O.B. full time. Musicians do these little one-offs all the time.

As for the MFBB, unfortunately, neither Rick or Mick appear to have updated websites. I do know Rick recently did a solo tour, so who knows?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

RTT, August 26, 2011
http://www.rttnews.com/Content/Enter...d=1701110&SM=1

(RTTNews) - Mick Fleetwood joins an all-star roster on the upcoming ZZ Top tribute album.

Fleetwood joined forces with Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and John McVie, as well as guitarist Jonny Lang, to form supergroup The M.O.B. for the album. The quartet will perform the ZZ Top classic "Sharp Dressed Man."

Said Fleetwood of the collaboration: "We're delighted to honor ZZ Top this way. Their legacy, like that of the original Fleetwood Mac, is steeped in the blues we all love so much. I know that Steven and Jonny feel as strongly about their legacy as John and I do."

Other contributors to the record include Filter (on "Gimme All Your Lovin'"), Grace Potter and the Nocturnals (on "Tush"), Nickelback (on "Legs"), Wolfmother (on "Cheap Sunglasses"), Duff McKagan's Loaded (on "Got Me Under Pressure"), Coheed and Cambria (on "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers"), Mastodon (on "Just Got Paid"), Wyclef Jean (on "Rough Boy"), Daughtry (on "Waitin' for the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago"), and Jamey Johnson (on "La Grange").

The album is slated for release on October 11.

by RTT Staff Writer
Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You are overthinking this. This not a band, but nothing more than a one-off collabortaion -- an impromptu group of musicians getting together to remake a ZZ Top song for a tribute album. For matters of practicality, they had to give themselves a name. It's akin to the the Christine McVie and Friends collaboration that contributed the cover song "Roll With Me Henry" for the Rock, Rhythm & Blues album. (which, by the way, I consider 95% a Fleetwood Mac song, since it has Christine, Mick, John, Billy and Rick playing on it.)

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-30-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
You are overthinking this. This not a band, but nothing more than a one-off collabortaion -- an impromptu group of musicians getting together to remake a ZZ Top song for a tribute album. For matters of practicality, they had to give themselves a name. It's akin to the the Christine McVie and Friends collaboration that contributed the cover song "Roll With Me Henry" for the Rock, Rhythm & Blues album. (which, by the way, I consider 95% a Fleetwood Mac song, since it has Christine, Mick, John, Billy and Rick playing on it.)
I do hope you are right. I would love little more than to have another MFBB CD come out!! There is such rich talent there (over and above Mick) that it would be a shame not to explore it more. Not just from the standpoint of "renewing" Peter era songs, or covering blues classics, but for putting out brand new blues material. It's a genre of music we are rapidly losing as the older blues generation dies off. It's sad.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick Fleetwood Plans To Turn One-Off Supergroup Into A Working Band
October 12, 2011 Contact Music

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/mic...g-band_1250258

Rocker Mick Fleetwood is keen to reassemble supergroup M.O.B. because he loved working with Jonny Lang and Steven Tyler on a track for the new Zz Top tribute album.

The Fleetwood Mac star and bandmate John MCVie teamed up with Aerosmith frontman Tyler and singer/songwriter Lang to record a version of Sharp Dressed Man for new album ZZ Top - a Tribute From Friends, and he's determined to make sure the band is more than a one-off.

He tells YouTube.com, "I have musical fantasies all the time, but we had a lot of fun doing this, and I truly, truly do have a vision of somewhere, somehow walking on stage and actually putting something together with the group. It's nothing on a boiler plate right now, but it's certainly something in my mind, and I think everybody else's too."
Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Mick Fleetwood Plans To Turn One-Off Supergroup Into A Working Band
October 12, 2011 Contact Music

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/mic...g-band_1250258

Rocker Mick Fleetwood is keen to reassemble supergroup M.O.B. because he loved working with Jonny Lang and Steven Tyler on a track for the new Zz Top tribute album.

The Fleetwood Mac star and bandmate John MCVie teamed up with Aerosmith frontman Tyler and singer/songwriter Lang to record a version of Sharp Dressed Man for new album ZZ Top - a Tribute From Friends, and he's determined to make sure the band is more than a one-off.

He tells YouTube.com, "I have musical fantasies all the time, but we had a lot of fun doing this, and I truly, truly do have a vision of somewhere, somehow walking on stage and actually putting something together with the group. It's nothing on a boiler plate right now, but it's certainly something in my mind, and I think everybody else's too."
Oh my! But I'm not that concerned. History shows that every "band" configuration that Mick gets into has a limited shelf life. His blues work with Rick Vito has a more timeless quality to it, but even that band is likely a fleeting moment in time, if not just an ocassional uprising. But really, can we really expect Steve Tyler lettiing M.O.B. take precedent over Aerosmith? Is Mick going to dedicate more effort in M.O.B. than a Fleetwood Mac project? Mick gets carried away and makes these statements.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-13-2011 at 11:14 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from a Hitfix review of the album:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-beat...-salute-zz-top

Some of the covers take nice, unexpected turns: Wolfmother’s “Cheap Sunglasses” starts in the most pedestrian of ways before exploding into a ferocious, tangled guitar blow out and then goes off on a cool psychedelic bent. Daughtry, who tackles the combo platter of “Waitin’ For the Bus” and “Jesus Just Left Chicago” gets the second part better than the first. Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler joins with Fleetwood Mac’s Mick Fleetwood and Jon McVie, as well as Johnny Lang and Brett Tuggle for a fun version of “Sharp Dressed Man” (under the moniker M.O.B.). As you recall, Aerosmith and ZZ Top toured together in 2009.