Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Caillat at Record Plant Signing 5/3/12

KEN CAILLAT PRESENTS & SIGNS MAKING RUMOURS: THE INSIDE STORY OF THE CLASSIC FLEETWOOD MAC ALBUM AT THE PLANT RECORDING STUDIO (THE FORMER RECORD PLANT) IN SAUSALITO, CA MAY 3, 2012

Ken Caillat - co-producer of the mega-successful Fleetwood Mac album,“Rumours”, and Author of Making Rumours. Joining Ken will be his Grammy Award winning daughter, Colbie Caillat.

Please join Ken Caillat for an Exclusive Book Signing Event which includes Live Music featuring Surprise Performances, and wine & hors d’oeuvres at The Plant Recording Studio (The former Record Plant) in Sausalito, where all the magic happened

The Plant Recording Studio
2200 Bridgeway Sausalito, CA 94965
Thursday, May 3, 2012 from 6 – 9 p.m. Doors open at 6pm

Ken Caillat’s new book MAKING RUMOURS: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album tells the story of what really went into the making of this legendary album that was to become one of the biggest selling and most influential rock albums of all time. MAKING RUMOURS is Ken Caillat’s authentic account of his experience with Fleetwood Mac – and the day to day triumphs and challenges he faced co-producing arguably one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Packed with scores of never-before-published photos from Caillat's personal
collection, Making Rumours is a must-read for Fleetwood Mac fans, rock history buffs, and anyone who loves a behind-the-scenes account of great musicians at work and play.

About the Author:
Ken Caillat, co-producer of Fleetwood Mac’s classic album “Rumours”, won the 1978 Grammy for Album of the Year (“Rumours”). He also produced the group’s “Tusk”, “Mirage”, and live albums, as well as their box set – “The Chain”. Ken has also worked on albums with everyone from George Carlin to the London Symphony Orchestra.

He is the father of Grammy-winning singer Colbie Caillat, and produced her
number-one album, “Breakthrough”.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is anyboby from here going to stop in to see Ken tonight.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just read on fb that Stevie showed up. Interesting....
Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I know; I just read it too on FB! Can't wait to hear the details!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Amazing. I'm floored.

Ha, this is better for Ken than having her give an interview for the book.

Michele
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Where did you read it on FB?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One of my FB friends was there and posted that the rumour was untrue.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
One of my FB friends was there and posted that the rumour was untrue.
I should have known; thought it seemed weird that she would show up for him. Ahhh, but how do these RUMOURS get started?

Last edited by LorraineRN; 05-04-2012 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: Rumors joke lol
Old 05-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry for jumping the gun everybody. I should have waited for confirmation but it was late here. I thought it could be a joke but I trusted the sources on facebook. Would have been really funny if she had showed up though!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even if she showed up and said it was a pack of lies (which I don't think she would do any more, now that she stopped taking drugs) it would be great publicity for him, either way.

Michele
Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie was not there. The place was packed though... lots of food, drinks, music, dancing... an amazing time! I was near tears so many times. Such an honor to meet Ken, his wife, Nina... they are all very nice people. An experience of a lifetime - so glad we made the trip.

here are some pics we took... sorry, there are some other "vacay" piccies in there too

http://photobucket.com/desertangel

Last edited by desertangel; 05-05-2012 at 02:24 AM..
Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
Stevie was not there. The place was packed though... lots of food, drinks, music, dancing... an amazing time! I was near tears so many times. Such an honor to meet Ken, his wife, Nina... they are all very nice people. An experience of a lifetime - so glad we made the trip.

here are some pics we took... sorry, there are some other "vacay" piccies in there too

http://photobucket.com/desertangel
Thank you! It was great to see all the pictures--it gave a clearer (and color) view of some of the places that Ken Caillat talked about in his book. I haven't been to that area of California, so it was good to see. I read the book and Ken's Q&A here on The Penguin--he's got a lot of amazing (and funny) stories from that time. I know there are a few here that are clearly upset with some parts of his sharing insider knowledge of the band, but it's his story to tell--and it was a LONG time ago. I'm glad we now have his book.

Thank you again for all the pictures!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thank you! It was great to see all the pictures--it gave a clearer (and color) view of some of the places that Ken Caillat talked about in his book. I haven't been to that area of California, so it was good to see. I read the book and Ken's Q&A here on The Penguin--he's got a lot of amazing (and funny) stories from that time. I know there are a few here that are clearly upset with some parts of his sharing insider knowledge of the band, but it's his story to tell--and it was a LONG time ago. I'm glad we now have his book.

Thank you again for all the pictures!
You are quite welcome. I agree with you about it being Ken's story to tell.

Some tidbits:

The M.C. who introduced Ken during the speaking portion of the book signing said that Ken took extensive personal notes in his journal during the recordings and that they also had regular interviews during the making of the album so they had plenty of historically accurate information to include in the book.

The picture of me standing next to a woman with short blonde hair and a black sleeveless top, that's Nina, the receptionist from The Record Plant. She said the part in the book that says she lived in Mill Valley and something about a fireplace, well... she says she told Ken she never lived in Mill Valley and didn't have a fireplace. I believe she said she lived in Fairfield, which is a nearby suburb.

We met Ken, his wife and a couple of their friends at the Larkspur hotel where we stayed in Mill Valley. They have S'Mores on the patio with a fire pit in the evening. My friend and I had just rolled into town about an hour earlier, so we grabbed some S'Mores and up walked Ken and company. It was quite a surprise. His friend said we would get a special tour of the facility for having driven so far, but alas, it was not to be as the night went long, there were a lot of people and everyone was pretty tired.

There's another picture that shows a guy with long gray hair. He said he was a technician that worked at The Record Plant during the recording of Rumours. He mentioned that the mixing board was not THE mixing board, obviously, but it is an old one.

The studio is located in a very odd place, kind of tucked "under" the road. We had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get there and then an even harder time trying to find a place to park. The parking lot is about big enough for 4 cars. It rained... you know, thunder only happens when it's raining.

It was a lot of fun! I was sad to leave.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

BTW... the wood parkay floors, original. The padded paisly design on the wall, original. Too bad I didn't take pictures of the wormwood on the walls as that is original too. When I found a person who said they were there back when, I would ask them what parts were original in the room. Obviously the picture of the door handle, that was original. The building is still up for sale... $4 million is the asking price. They seriously should turn it into a museum.

Colbie was a no-show... someone said there were problems with her flight. Also, according to the current building owner, they are in the works for revitalizing the building and equipment to bring it up to date so it can continue to be used. Good news as I would hate to see the place razed and makes me even more glad I was able to attend this event.

Last edited by desertangel; 05-06-2012 at 12:24 AM..