The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: who should replace SN if she continues refusing to record?
Susanna Hoffs 2 3.33%
Sheryl Crow 1 1.67%
Cyndi Lauper 1 1.67%
Gwen Stefani 0 0%
some other girl with well known mainstream persona 1 1.67%
some relatively unknown girl but creative (indie? influenced by FM?) 1 1.67%
Peter Quirk (of The Cave Singers) - or some other guy? 1 1.67%
Michelle Twig 0 0%
Ann or Nancy Wilson 2 3.33%
nobody - it should be just the 4 (Christine, Lindsey, John & Mick) 51 85.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default who should replace SN if she continues refusing to record

after seeing various discussions veering towards different hypothetical options in "Still think Stevie is going to do the FM album?" thread, and loving Steve's arguments for Susanna Hoffs, i thought it might be fun to create a poll and discuss different options.

i asked some FM-loving friends with diverse favorites in the band for opinion on what the poll options should be and what is currently offered in the poll is the list we came up with, so far. feel free to comment and propose other options.

who should replace SN if she continues refusing to record with the band?
  • Susanna Hoffs
  • Sheryl Crow
  • Cyndi Lauper
  • Gwen Stefani
  • some other girl with well known mainstream persona
  • some relatively unknown girl but creative (and influenced by FM)
  • Peter Quirk (of The Cave Singers) (or some other guy?)
  • Michelle Twig
  • Ann or Nancy Wilson
  • nobody - it should be just the 4 (Christine, Lindsey, John & Mick)

PS dear shippers and chiffs - this is meant to spur some fun discussion here, so no need to get all serious and offended - after all this is all entertainment, we are not curing cancer here people!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
after seeing various discussions veering towards different hypothetical options in "Still think Stevie is going to do the FM album?" thread, and loving Steve's arguments for Susanna Hoffs, i thought it might be fun to create a poll and discuss different options.

i asked some FM-loving friends with diverse favorites in the band for opinion on what the poll options should be and what is currently offered in the poll is the list we came up with, so far. feel free to comment and propose other options.

who should replace SN if she continues refusing to record with the band?
  • Susanna Hoffs
  • Sheryl Crow
  • Cyndi Lauper
  • Gwen Stefani
  • some other girl with well known mainstream persona
  • some relatively unknown girl but creative (and influenced by FM)
  • Peter Quirk (of The Cave Singers) (or some other guy?)
  • Michelle Twig
  • Ann or Nancy Wilson
  • nobody - it should be just the 4 (Christine, Lindsey, John & Mick)

PS dear shippers and chiffs - this is meant to spur some fun discussion here, so no need to get all serious and offended - after all this is all entertainment, we are not curing cancer here people!
I don't think the band will continue under the "Fleetwood Mac" label without Stevie. I'm not singling Stevie out as I think that if any of them retire from the band the others will continue to work together but under a different name and they will leave the "On With Show" tour as their last great stand. If the 4 do continue I think it will be as "The Men Of Mac" featuring Christine McVie or something like that.

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 02-25-2015 at 07:58 PM..
Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

An interesting but ridiculous proposition. Stevie is not replaceable. It would seem like a cover band if someone else singing her songs. Bekka Bramlett was suitable only because it was a drastically different line up, without Lindsey, Stevie or Christine. Bekka wasn't a cookie cutter Stevie replacement, but it allowed them to perform a couple of her songs.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-25-2015 at 08:33 PM..
Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I don't think the band will continue under the "Fleetwood Mac" label without Stevie. I'm not singling Stevie out as I think that if any of them retire from the band the others will continue to work together but under a different name and they will leave the "On With Show" tour as their last great stand. If the 4 do continue I think it will be as "The Men Of Mac" featuring Christine McVie or something like that.
Since Mick and John are the namesake of the band, why would change the name? It's their brand, regardless of the many permutations of the band. Fleetwood Mac was initially all men. Fleetwood Men!

So much speculation as to what will happen after the tour. It's clear their end is near. Hopefully there will be one last album. I think Stevie will be a part of it. I don't see them doing a tour on the scale of this current, ridiculously massive world tour.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-25-2015 at 08:22 PM..
Old 02-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, because concert promoters want to bill something as "The Men of Mac Featuring Christine McVie."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also:

Bonnie Raitt
Terri Nunn (Berlin)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Since Mick and John are the namesake of the band, why would change the name? It's their brand, maintained throughout the many permutations of the band.

Fleetwood Mac was initially all men. Fleetwood Men! So much speculation as to what will happen after the tour! It's clear their end is near. Hopefully there will be one last album. I think Stevie will be a part of it. I don't see them doing a tour on the scale of this current, ridiculously massive world tour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yeah, because concert promoters want to bill something as "The Men of Mac Featuring Christine McVie."
Yes but would FM want the final chapter to be that they were reduced to playing smaller venues or do they want to retire the "FM brand" and have "OWTS" as the final shining star in their crown. Mick is already saying that the new product may take the form of a solo record. If Mick did not care about the FM legacy why would he be saying that?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was just a suggestion.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also:

Bonnie Raitt
Terri Nunn (Berlin)
Why does she have to be replaced? And why does it have to be a girl? When Cm bailed on the band she was not replaced. Are you saying that a LB CM JM & MF lineup can't be as good or profitable as the SN LB JM MF lineup? If they hire another person will the increase in sales (if any) justify what they have to pay them? In other words will they get a good return on the investment? These are just questions. Like Elle said no need to get "all serious and offended"
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why does she have to be replaced? And why does it have to be a girl? When Cm bailed on the band she was not replaced.
did you read the poll?

there are guy options, and just 4 of them / no replacement option.

you can pick any of them and describe why you think that would be the best one. looking fw to see which one you pick!

and just to make it clear, the band would still be called Fleetwood Mac.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes but would FM want the final chapter to be that they were reduced to playing smaller venues or do they want to retire the "FM brand" and have "OWTS" as the final shining star in their crown. Mick is already saying that the new product may take the form of a solo record. If Mick did not care about the FM legacy why would he be saying that?
Therein lies the disconnect. I don't think Lindsey really cares about the arena rock aspect of Fleetwood Mac. I think he'd be perfectly happy playing smaller venues if it meant Fleetwood Mac would be creatively relevant.

While Mick loves being in an arena rock band, no doubt, I suspect he'd rather have Fleetwood Mac be around a few more years even if that meant not being an arena rock band anymore. If Christine, John, and Lindsey said they wanted to go back out as Fleetwood Mac, do you honestly think he'd say no to that? John always struck me as being indifferent. He just wants to play bass. The rest is what it is.

Christine is the one I can't read, and the band's future could be squarely on her shoulders. Based on what she has pretty consistently said since rejoining, I think she came out of retirement to make more new music with Fleetwood Mac. If playing smaller venues doesn't bother her, I see no reason why the band has to call it a day. If it has to be arena rock or nothing for her, then the band is pretty much over.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 02-25-2015 at 08:49 PM..
Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why does she have to be replaced? And why does it have to be a girl?
Well, she has the backup singers, so they need SOMEBODY to do the high harmonies...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was just a suggestion.
If Mick, John, Christine, and Lindsey decide to do a tour, it's Fleetwood Mac. I don't understand how it was okay to call it Fleetwood Mac when it was just Stevie and Lindsey fronting the band, but it's not okay to call it Fleetwood Mac if it's just Lindsey and Christine fronting the band (especially considering Christine has been on way more Fleetwood Mac albums than Stevie).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If Mick, John, Christine, and Lindsey decide to do a tour, it's Fleetwood Mac. I don't understand how it was okay to call it Fleetwood Mac when it was just Stevie and Lindsey fronting the band, but it's not okay to call it Fleetwood Mac if it's just Lindsey and Christine fronting the band (especially considering Christine has been on way more Fleetwood Mac albums than Stevie).
yeah it's a ridiculous argument. they are Fleetwood Mac. that's not issue in this poll, its premise is we are talking about FM.

meanwhile i don't know how to vote. my preference is just the 4.

but i'm intrigued by your arguments for Susanna Hoffs and i think that would be really interesting.

i also think there are a number of interesting lesser known or somewhat younger and very creative artists who could contribute to the album nicely and it would be really interesting to hear what those combinations would produce.

when we discussed it on fb before posting the thread, people were bringing up many potential artists that sound interesting in the context of FM, especially women. and also some well known artists like Annie Lennox.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It needs to be Florence Welch. Needs. Needs!
Amazing singer? Check
Unique voice? Check
Style icon? Check
Fleetwood Mac fan/influenced by?

Check

Florence would be a breath of fresh air! Something new, creative and exciting.
Just a dream, just a dream.

Last edited by HelloMonster; 02-25-2015 at 09:16 PM..