User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
No, I plan to watch it after the end of AHS so I'll have something to watch waiting for the sixth season (I know I'm crazy) but tell me, no spoiler, how would you rate the first episode?
And is Jamie Lee Curtis in good acting shape?
I would rate the first episode Excellent. The cast is brilliant, the writing is a wonderfully campy mixture of humor and horror - and hilarious - and Jamie's character is perfect for her. Her acting was great - not once did I think "Activia!"

And who knew Nick Jonas could act?
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-02-2015, 07:58 AM

New 'American Horror Story' Opening Credits Are As Disturbing As Ever
Don't look under the bed. Or inside it.

The title sequence for "American Horror Story" has never been for the faint of heart. Considering some past seasons, actually, some might say it's the creepiest part of the whole show.

This season's doesn't disappoint, and may give clues to what the whole season is about -- series creator Ryan Murphy told EW back when Season 1 premiered that the opening credits are "almost like a mystery" that is explained as the season progresses. If that's still the case, we're a bit afraid of what the whole Ten-Commandments-in-neon thing could mean.

"American Horror Story: Hotel" premieres on FX at 10 p.m. on Oct. 7.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...n-horror-story
Old 10-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I would rate the first episode Excellent. The cast is brilliant, the writing is a wonderfully campy mixture of humor and horror - and hilarious - and Jamie's character is perfect for her. Her acting was great - not once did I think "Activia!"
I had to follow up to this, because my husband (a theatre actor) thought Jamie was terrible, but he blamed the writers for, as he put it "basically writing the character to be the same persona as Sue Stanley from Glee."
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-05-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I had to follow up to this, because my husband (a theatre actor) thought Jamie was terrible, but he blamed the writers for, as he put it "basically writing the character to be the same persona as Sue Stanley from Glee."
I understand. Do you mean Sue Sylvester or have I lost something? I stopped watching Glee after the 3rd season because it stopped being fun.
And is the tone similar to Coven as anticipated or was it just a marketing strategy?
On another more important note, it's just two days to go before the AHS: Hotel premiere. No spoiler until the next day because I'll have to wait 24 hours for having the episode subbed for my country but then I want to know everyone's impressions.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM

American Horror Story: Hotel final trailers

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 10-06-2015 at 04:02 PM..
Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Ok, yesterday I watched the pilot of Hotel and I thought that it was the best pilot the series ever aired...until I saw Lady Gaga. It's not like I had something bad to say about her or her character it's more that I don't have anything positive to say at all. I wasn't interested in her character , she was very one-dimensional and just the normal Lady Gaga we already know, only she now has foursomes and drinks blood. I didn't hate her but I found her totally superfluous.

That being said, the first and the last scene were marvelous, especially the Hotel California soundtrack. The first scene with the colours, the light and the cameras screamed "Shining". The "Se7en"-like serial killer is intereting and charming, and Wes Bentley and Chloe Sevigny were superb and their storyline is new and interesting.

The scene with the addiction demon and Max Greenfield was the right mix of shocking and absurd, and Sarah Paulson was fantastic as usual.
I want to see more of Kathy Bates, Matt Boomer and Sarah Paulson to judge properly but I hope this year they will be well used.

I can't wait to see Angela Bassett and Finn Wittrock.

Critics hadn't received this first episode very well but honestly, this isn't nearly so bad to deserve the bashing I read, not when all the other pilots were received enthusiastically, and not all of them were as good as the reviews believed.

Other thoughts?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understand. Do you mean Sue Sylvester or have I lost something? I stopped watching Glee after the 3rd season because it stopped being fun.
And is the tone similar to Coven as anticipated or was it just a marketing strategy?
On another more important note, it's just two days to go before the AHS: Hotel premiere. No spoiler until the next day because I'll have to wait 24 hours for having the episode subbed for my country but then I want to know everyone's impressions.
Yes, Sue Sylvester.

The tone is more....Glee meets AHS: Horror House.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ok, yesterday I watched the pilot of Hotel and I thought that it was the best pilot the series ever aired...until I saw Lady Gaga. It's not like I had something bad to say about her or her character it's more that I don't have anything positive to say at all. I wasn't interested in her character , she was very one-dimensional and just the normal Lady Gaga we already know, only she now has foursomes and drinks blood. I didn't hate her but I found her totally superfluous.

That being said, the first and the last scene were marvelous, especially the Hotel California soundtrack. The first scene with the colours, the light and the cameras screamed "Shining". The "Se7en"-like serial killer is intereting and charming, and Wes Bentley and Chloe Sevigny were superb and their storyline is new and interesting.

The scene with the addiction demon and Max Greenfield was the right mix of shocking and absurd, and Sarah Paulson was fantastic as usual.
I want to see more of Kathy Bates, Matt Boomer and Sarah Paulson to judge properly but I hope this year they will be well used.

I can't wait to see Angela Bassett and Finn Wittrock.

Critics hadn't received this first episode very well but honestly, this isn't nearly so bad to deserve the bashing I read, not when all the other pilots were received enthusiastically, and not all of them were as good as the reviews believed.

Other thoughts?
I watched it last night. I have to say Asylum was my favorite season. I've not yet watched Freakshow. I didn't care for Coven (honestly, the constant Stevie Nicks stuff was a distraction).

I liked what I saw last night, and I agree with you about Gaga. But, it's the first episode, and I'm sure she'll get more into her character as the season progresses. The problem with casting music stars is that we already know so many of their personas from music videos; I think it can be hard for them to ever break out of the character they play every day. Madonna is a good example - other than Evita, all of her roles...were just Madonna.

Slasher flicks are not a genre of horror I find appealing. Blood and gore and murder aren't scary to me, so I hope we're not looking at a dozen more episodes of blood and gore.

Max Greenfield was great! *That* scene really disturbed me.

Can Wes be any more intense with that scowl of his?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Other thoughts?
Gaga sucked and the whole premise of the Art Deco Hotel with images ala the Hunger etc was way overdone and the critics seem to agree. (so do the post-view ratings so far!!). There's a bit of nod to Stanley Kubrick in the scenes, BUT some of the scenes were well, overacted and underwritten!! According to some, 5.8 million viewers on a lead-in episode of nothing to scoff at though!! Let's see what the drop-off is next week with "Chutes and Ladders."

Best part of night was Sarah Paulson and Denis OHare!!

Note that the whole premise behind this season is Addiction..... be it drugs , sex, gambling , crime, mental ............
Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I watched it last night. I have to say Asylum was my favorite season. I've not yet watched Freakshow. I didn't care for Coven (honestly, the constant Stevie Nicks stuff was a distraction).

I liked what I saw last night, and I agree with you about Gaga. But, it's the first episode, and I'm sure she'll get more into her character as the season progresses. The problem with casting music stars is that we already know so many of their personas from music videos; I think it can be hard for them to ever break out of the character they play every day. Madonna is a good example - other than Evita, all of her roles...were just Madonna.

Slasher flicks are not a genre of horror I find appealing. Blood and gore and murder aren't scary to me, so I hope we're not looking at a dozen more episodes of blood and gore.

Max Greenfield was great! *That* scene really disturbed me.

Can Wes be any more intense with that scowl of his?
My favourite season was Murder House with Asylum as a very close second. About Freak Show let me say that I thought it was the best season for the first four episodes, then I kept watching it just for Jessica Lange and Finn Wittrock. "the constant Stevie Nicks stuff was a distraction": sounds like a fitting description of my life; maybe that's why I didn't mind, but I stopped loving Coven after a few episodes anyway.

Yeah, I think you're right about Lady Gaga, I hope she shows some twisted mother instinct in the next episodes.
I still wonder why each and every kid on the show had to have ****ty hair.

I also don't love gore and blood, that's why I didn't appreciates Lady Gaga's scene with Matt Bomer, it wasn't sexy nor creepy at all, it was just plain kitsch. And I didn't want to see Lady Gaga's butt. I love suspance.

Yes, Max Greenfield's scene was far better than Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer's.

I hopw Wes Bentley becomes a regular cast of the series, he's so enigmatic, I love it!

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 10-10-2015 at 07:08 AM..
Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
Gaga sucked and the whole premise of the Art Deco Hotel with images ala the Hunger etc was way overdone and the critics seem to agree. (so do the post-view ratings so far!!). There's a bit of nod to Stanley Kubrick in the scenes, BUT some of the scenes were well, overacted and underwritten!! According to some, 5.8 million viewers on a lead-in episode of nothing to scoff at though!! Let's see what the drop-off is next week with "Chutes and Ladders."

Best part of night was Sarah Paulson and Denis OHare!!

Note that the whole premise behind this season is Addiction..... be it drugs , sex, gambling , crime, mental ............
That's true, but when has this show not been overdone? It's practically the foundation of the whole the series. By the way I think that all the most overacted and underwritten scenes were the Lady Gaga's ones so I start to think it may be her fault.

Do you know where can I see the premise of the next episode?

You're right, I forgot about Denis O'Hare! He's the one that I look forward to know more of, like always. Liz Taylor seems magnificent, I want more.

Yes, this year's running theme is addiction:

Ryan Murphy ‏@MrRPMurphy 2 set
I love this! And it's accurate.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 AM

Found it:

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 10-12-2015 at 04:21 AM..
Old 10-16-2015, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

After watching the first two episodes, I'm just not sold on this season yet. If it were any other show, I would not have watched it past the first episode. That being said, the cinematography and sets are stunning, and the soundtrack is perhaps the best pairing I've ever come across in TV or movies. Visually and sonically, the show just oozes atmosphere. So far this season is all style over substance, though. The acting and dialogue are just plain bad. Even Kathy Bates scenes are totally flat for me- and she's been my favorite actress for decades. The material just seems unoriginal- it's a collection of the other AHS seasons, as well as assorted horror standards. If the third episode doesn't improve, I may be done watching this season. Like a friend of mine said, Jessica Lange was the centerpoint of the show- she was the hub which kept everything tight & focused. Without her, this season seems to be scattered & toothless.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I watched episode 2 last night. Chutes and Ladders.

It was much better than the first episode, insofar as I love the story that is developing. I was very happy to see Evan Peters back, after initially worrying that he wasn't in this season, and the flashbacks tot he historical days of the hotel were great.

I watch so very little TV, and had to purchase the whole season in advance to watch it because I don't subscribe to any cable - so like it or not, I'll be watching every episode.

I'm greatly disturbed by Max Greenfield being sewed up in that mattress.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Overall I'm enjoying Hotel so far, although AHS has a habit of falling apart mid-way through a season and it's still quite early. I also don't care for Lady Gaga's character or storyline, but it's not her fault; I've just never been interested in "vampires". I'm not a prude but the sex/shock scenes are annoying to me. I don't feel like they serve any actual purpose to the story. My favorite character so far is Mr. March, I'm definitely interested in seeing where that goes. Also can't wait to see Aileen Wuornos, John Waye Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer and Richard Ramirez (there's someone in the trailer who looks a lot like him, right now I'm assuming it is). I'm a sucker for serial killer stories