User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
And, let's be honest, without Christine McVie, it's really not the full band. I could see them charging those prices if she were on board.
No doubt! That and the preposterousness of calling it a "greatest hits" tour when the lady responsible for 10 of the band's 18 US. top 40 hits is nowhere to be found.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Registered

Two topics by various writers within this thread made me realize how the perspectives of ticket buyers can really vary, a lot! Hmm, i don't think being short of cash is even an issue- tickets in many (most?) cases go on plastic... so you can pay as much or as little per month as you want, no? Of course, there's interest fees, what have you- but it's not like most of us part with $174 per ticket or whatever when purchasing them... I think the only way the concert industry is surviving at all is because people use their credit cards, which of course isn't actually coughing up the cash, exactly.
Not that it's wise, but it may be possible that I'm still paying off some of the five SYW shows i saw 5 or 6 years ago, but I got to do what I wanted to do. So, if I'm still paying the price, and I may not be, then atleast I saw the shows I wanted to see. 'Short on cash'-- who isn't? Keep up with your credit card payments, and watch your credit limits get extended to where living within your means no longer means anything!
The other opinion, by a writer here I always enjoy, was about the concert being 'perfectly sequenced'- and boy, my perspective really varies from that opinion! I thought the 'Unleashed' concert was horribly sequenced...so damned predictable. I'd like almost everything changed in that regard! Open with 'Gold Dust Woman' or 'Go Your Own Way'... most definitely save 'Dreams' for the closer or encore, it is so dull near the beginning of the set where it has been since almost forever. I swear 'Dreams' stops a concert dead just as it's getting started, build some anticipation for it! 'Unleashed' to me was an enjoyable experience. But it was so predictable due to the sequencing of the songs- I also think 'The Chain' would work much, much better mid-way in the set, it's an exciting track (or used to be) but the band doesn't seemed warmed up enough, or something, playing it so early on, it comes across sterile, for me, now.
Also, this tour was much touted as the 'ultimate hits' tour, and they open with 'Monday Morning'-- not a hit, and actually quite a dull opener, imo.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
As for the prices, they don't bother me. I was laughing looking at old interviews when the journalists were questioning Mick about exorbitant $40 tickets. It's just a sign of the times.

Michele
Totally agreed. Also, we have to keep in mind that Wilco, Animal Collective, Spoon, etc. are all AWESOME bands (whoever listed those probably has an iTunes library identical to my own), but they don't have 30+ years of hits, history and hundreds of thousands of fans. It's just a TOTALLY different world.

Not to say I support the high prices-- all of us would love to pay less for that awesome ticket. It just isn't possible with Fleetwood Mac's high demand. Even if every single show isn't sold out, most of them are and those statistics are what dictate venue selection and pricing.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

Dont know much about prices in the US but here in Europe they are the normal prices you pay for a concert like FM. I went to Celine Dion, Tina Turner, Paul Simon and the Eagles and they had all higher prices than FM.
Not that much for some, PS and TT, but the Eagles and CD had really high prices for the best tickets.... Not that it stop people from getting their tickets.. Almost every concert of he artist i have named was sold or almost sold out. For FM the concert in Rotterdam is already sold out ( in 5 ours) and Antwerp is almost sold out, just a few tickets left there.. So ticketsales are going good here....
Old 06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Even if every single show isn't sold out, most of them are and those statistics are what dictate venue selection and pricing.
??? Last I checked, only one show on the '09 NA tour sold out.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Which one?

I guess you were correct in informing me that Stevie put some promoters out of business.Also Luke I posted this in the MacNuggets thread hoping you would see it:

Knowledgeable sources say the city-owned Alerus Center is guaranteeing that Britney Spears makes somewhere in the $750,000 to $850,000 range, though one source said that’s not something unique to this tour.

“We did not pay any more than anybody else,” said Alerus Center executive director Steve Hyman, though he said he couldn’t talk about the arrangement until after tickets go on sale Saturday.

He got the show, he said, because of a professional relationship with tour promoter AEG Live going back 20 years, from when he used to head the Verizon Wireless Center in Moline, Ill.

And, he said, he patched up a contentious relationship between the Alerus Center and the promoter dating back to a disastrous Fleetwood Mac concert in 2003.

According to Hyman, money was not the lynchpin of the deal with AEG Live, but relationship.

The Alerus Center damaged its reputation with the promoter in 2003 after the Fleetwood Mac concert, which sold only 6,174 tickets out of 20,000.

For reasons still murky, the Alerus Center failed to pay AEG Live a six-figure sum, causing the promoter to blackball the events center.

“We paid our dues,” Hyman said. “This is the same gentlemen that didn’t quite get straight on Fleetwood Mac. We straightened that out with Neil Diamond, even though we took a hit on it.”

If Britney does as well here as she did elsewhere, the Alerus Center also will get a rebound in its reputation as an entertainment venue, both with promoters and with its advertisers and suite holders

Last edited by vivfox; 06-25-2009 at 08:09 PM..
Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

So what I take from this Grand Forks situation is the Venue agreed to pay the Promoter a certain amount for the show, based on what the Promoter needs to cover the band guarantee. The venue obviously didn't make enough to cover the agreed upon price - and didn't pay the promoter the full amount. The promoter still had to pay the band it's full guarantee for the show - leaving the promoter on the hook for the balance. To get Neil Diamond to their venue, it sounds like they had to pay the promoter more then the usual going price for the show just to get him... that extra money paid was because of the Fleetwood Mac situation.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
So what I take from this Grand Forks situation is the Venue agreed to pay the Promoter a certain amount for the show, based on what the Promoter needs to cover the band guarantee. The venue obviously didn't make enough to cover the agreed upon price - and didn't pay the promoter the full amount. The promoter still had to pay the band it's full guarantee for the show - leaving the promoter on the hook for the balance. To get Neil Diamond to their venue, it sounds like they had to pay the promoter more then the usual going price for the show just to get him... that extra money paid was because of the Fleetwood Mac situation.
Yes- although, just to include, the venue co-promoted the show with the city of Grand Forks. Which, of course, is what made it such a cluster... municipalities, generally speaking, are clueless when it comes to concert promoting- specifically the concepts of relationships and ethics.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
But they all got fairly close, am I right? Sorry for making that statement without fact-- my point was that the shows have been very successful.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:51 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
But they all got fairly close, am I right? Sorry for making that statement without fact-- my point was that the shows have been very successful.
About 5 or 6 shows did well. The tour has NOT been "very successful"- by even the greatest stretch of the imagination. The majority of shows either broke even or lost money.