User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post

I think the band should have added a few more songs and gone for an actual double CD. They'd have been certified platinum if they had.
I disagree.

It's been certified as selling 500K in the U.S., 100K in the U.K., 50,000 in Canada, and 7,500 in New Zealand.

And a higher price point for a double album might have kept half of those people from buying.

Note - IT'S TOO DAMNED LONG AS IT IS!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2020, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I disagree.

It's been certified as selling 500K in the U.S., 100K in the U.K., 50,000 in Canada, and 7,500 in New Zealand.

And a higher price point for a double album might have kept half of those people from buying.

Note - IT'S TOO DAMNED LONG AS IT IS!!!!!!
Yep. We could've done without 4-ish songs and it still would have been, at least in my opinion, a very solid effort (like it still is). Maybe chop off Murrow and Miranda for Lindsey, then chop off Silver Girl and Goodbye Baby for Stevie.

Both of Buck's sound way too much like his solo material and both of Stevie's have always been clunkers to my ears. Her other material on the album is far more superior.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
Yep. We could've done without 4-ish songs and it still would have been, at least in my opinion, a very solid effort (like it still is). Maybe chop off Murrow and Miranda for Lindsey, then chop off Silver Girl and Goodbye Baby for Stevie.

Both of Buck's sound way too much like his solo material and both of Stevie's have always been clunkers to my ears. Her other material on the album is far more superior.
I agree on both points, except I'd lose Come and Murrow for Lindsey. Miranda's pretty catchy.

And I'd lose Silver Girl, Illume(bores me to tears), and SYW(I HATE the children's chorus at the end = cheesy AF) for Stevie.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I agree on both points, except I'd lose Come and Murrow for Lindsey. Miranda's pretty catchy.

And I'd lose Silver Girl, Illume(bores me to tears), and SYW(I HATE the children's chorus at the end = cheesy AF) for Stevie.
Oh come on now
You've built your life around Silver Girl and you know it
Old 04-22-2020, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

4 songs I'd cut are Murrow, Come, Red Rover, and Bleed to Love Her.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I’d cut just two songs, I like the Album but it is too long.

Come and Silver Girl could both go for me...
Old 04-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh come on now Homer.
You've built your life around Silver Girl and you know it
Old 04-22-2020, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Come and Silver Girl could both go for me
For many fans these are the one song from each artist least liked. But you know if they had made this an album of just 13 tracks, these surely would have been included. I have only heard maybe one or two fans besides Homer say they like Silver Girl. I wonder if Sheryl Crow secretly hated it along with the rest of us people with musical taste?
Old 04-22-2020, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
For many fans these are the one song from each artist least liked. But you know if they had made this an album of just 13 tracks, these surely would have been included. I have only heard maybe one or two fans besides Homer say they like Silver Girl. I wonder if Sheryl Crow secretly hated it along with the rest of us people with musical taste?
They were joking. I hate that f*cking song!
Old 04-27-2020, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post

Can't agree on "Miranda" at all. That's a great song.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this review is spot on. I agree 150%

WTWCT
Thrown Down
Miranda
Say You Will
Peacekeeper
Running Through the Garden
Steal Your Heart Away
Bleed to Love Her
Everybody Finds Out
Destiny Rules
Say Goodbye
Goodbye Baby

Contrary to many, I love Running Through the Garden. I think it could have been a tour de force live if they would have done it more than once. Likewise, Everybody Finds Out should have replaced Stand Back in the set for Stevie's "fast" song.

Smile At You was a total disappointment in the form that it was released. Silver Girl should have been shot into the sun via cannon. Murrow and Red Rover are just not FM enough. Come, to me, is like I'm So Afraid. Amazing live, a real dud on the album. I hated his voice on that track, whereas live I thought it rocked hard. Illume never did anything for me - it just lacks the emotion I'd figure a song with 9-11 in the title would have.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Illume is pure Lindsey. I used to say the same thing about Over and Over. I actually had the live album before Tusk. So I was used to the live version and the album version is cold and has no warmth yet the lyrics are warm and inviting.
It's part of Lindsey's production. Was 9/11 warm and fuzzy? No.
My point is that its perfectly fine to not like the song but the reasons people give irk me. Do people really want a catchy pop song about 9/11. Has anyone listened to the song with headphones? Its more of a poem set to music than a song to sing along to.
The song is unpredictable. You don't know where its going with any melody. It sounds like Stevie is singing into a tube in her bathroom. Its cold and distant. Its about mass death and escaping the stench. It captures every element of the feeling of 9/11 IMHO. Its actually confusing the first few times you hear it. Remember the confusion of 9/11?
I can appreciate what Lindsey did with the song because its all him. It would have been an easy pass to put it on an album but I am glad it did. Lindsey calls himself a painter and this painting would be a dark and confusing painting. People would not like the painting and fear it or say "it does nothing for me." But if someone explained the painting to you, you would appreciate what the artist was conveying.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-30-2020 at 06:13 AM..
Old 04-30-2020, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Illume is pure Lindsey. I used to say the same thing about Over and Over. I actually had the live album before Tusk. So I was used to the live version and the album version is cold and has no warmth yet the lyrics are warm and inviting.
It's part of Lindsey's production. Was 9/11 warm and fuzzy? No.
My point is that its perfectly fine to not like the song but the reasons people give irk me. Do people really want a catchy pop song about 9/11. Has anyone listened to the song with headphones? Its more of a poem set to music than a song to sing along to.
The song is unpredictable. You don't know where its going with any melody. It sounds like Stevie is singing into a tube in her bathroom. Its cold and distant. Its about mass death and escaping the stench. It captures every element of the feeling of 9/11 IMHO. Its actually confusing the first few times you hear it. Remember the confusion of 9/11?
I can appreciate what Lindsey did with the song because its all him. It would have been an easy pass to put it on an album but I am glad it did. Lindsey calls himself a painter and this painting would be a dark and confusing painting. People would not like the painting and fear it or say "it does nothing for me." But if someone explained the painting to you, you would appreciate what the artist was conveying.
Illume is probably my favourite track on the album. Dark and dramatic, it captures the mood of the time. Stevie really tears into the vocals for the most part, and the trance-like beat and heavy instrumentals are really effective.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Illume is probably my favourite track on the album. Dark and dramatic, it captures the mood of the time. Stevie really tears into the vocals for the most part, and the trance-like beat and heavy instrumentals are really effective.
The lyrics are very good too. People really want literal words? "We are in a hotel and buildings are falling down.....la la la la"

Poetry is subtle and the casual listener may not even catch on its about 9/11. She even mentions Osama without calling him by name (shadow of a stranger). Her reference is putting smell to cover the smell of death and how they can get out. All very real and dramatic in poetry style. I suppose its a song that makes you think very similar to the actual 9/11 memorials. Each memorial like war memorials are an artist's view in trying to convey something that is not always literal.

My first several times hearing the song, I was confused like everyone else. WTH? But then I understood, that's on purpose and then I got to see the layers Buckingham added to the song. What people are saying they don't like about the song are purposely put there. Its like the debate on whether Tusk is under produced or over produced. Many will say its over produced purposely to sound like its underproduced.

Illume : Confusing, dark, angry, singing cold, distant, no direction where its going Those were my feelings exactly on the day of 9/11

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-30-2020 at 08:32 AM..
Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
If I had to pick a favorite, Illume would be it. Her harsh vocals match the mood. Kind of why I love WISYA.