Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Agreed. This should be a new thread -
During What Song Would You Leave The Store?

SYLM
Over My Head
Dreams
Sara
Everywhere
Say You Will!!!!!
Peacekeeper(I'd probably leave)

That's all I've got. The only ones I wouldn't bother dragging my feet until they're over....
Lookin out for love
Big Big Love

Homer you begged me to keep you in that house on the hill

But I really could not afford it anymore

Lookin out for love
BIG BIG Love

You said that you'd love me and said you always will

Looking out for love
BIG BIG Love

Ugh Ugh ooo Ugh

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-28-2020 at 04:54 PM..
Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Lookin out for love
Big Big Love

Homer you begged me to keep you in that house on the hill

But I really could not afford it anymore

Lookin out for love
BIG BIG Love

You said that you'd love me and said you always will

Looking out for love
BIG BIG Love

Ugh Ugh ooo Ugh
Big Love is your only one???

I kind of forgot about it from putting it on my list. I don't hate the record version, but.....

BIG LOVE LIVE HAS BEEN MY PEE SONG/GRAB ANOTHER BEER SONG FOR THE PAST SEVERAL TOURS!

And it bugs me that civilians think that he's playing ALL those notes. Half of them are a delay echoing what he's doing. I've tried explaining that at FM parties(when I used to have them), and non musicians look at me like I'm crazy.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:01 AM

I love Big Love! It's one of my fav songs on the album. I did like the live version, but like Landslide and Dreams - I want to vomit upon hearing it.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love Big Love! It's one of my fav songs on the album. I did like the live version, but like Landslide and Dreams - I want to vomit upon hearing it.
What was once a fresh and exciting reimagining of an old tune is now an old tune.

The Rumours band has trapped themselves by paying slavish attention to the hits. Their set was passe in 1982. They’ve had plenty of chances to reimagine it. The only moments where the formula seemed to have extended, if not entirely changed was in the 2000s, when Christine’s vacancy allowed Buckingham-Nicks to throw some album tunes from SYW into the mix. Also, on the Unleashed tour, Buckingham’s fresh take on “Tusk” was exciting. Other than this, each tour has been the same old circus act.

Even when LB’s replacements stepped in from 1987-1991, and then this last tour, there wasn’t really much of a change in approach, even with new guitarists and vocalists.

It’s sad, really. Imagine if the band had played “Tango in the Night” instead of ISA, “Everybody Finds “Out” instead of “Rhiannon” or “Dreams,” “Sugar Daddy” instead of “Overt My Head.”

I’m not disparaging the hits, which I still and will likely always love, but their live shows could have been a lot more fluid and imaginative.

Naturally, I’m not counting the Bekka-Mason tour in 1995. That was it’s own thing because it had to be.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the first few shows with the present band extended things a lot, but I agree that they’ve focused so much on the hits since at least 1982 that going beyond that is always going to be difficult. Similarly, Lindsey’s solos don’t leave a lot of room for players to change things up. They’re bone simple, but also iconic. I mean, where do you go with “Hold Me” or “You Make Loving Fun,” for example?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Agreed. This should be a new thread -
During What Song Would You Leave The Store?

SYLM
Over My Head
Dreams
Sara
Everywhere
Say You Will!!!!!
Peacekeeper(I'd probably leave)

That's all I've got. The only ones I wouldn't bother dragging my feet until they're over....
I guess I'm in the minority but if we never heard Don't Stop again I'd be ok with that. Probably Landslide too.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
I guess I'm in the minority but if we never heard Don't Stop again I'd be ok with that. Probably Landslide too.
Remember when Landslide took a break? What if we had never heard Don’t Stop while Christine was gone and then when she returned they revived it. That would’ve been a heady reunion.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Similarly, Lindsey’s solos don’t leave a lot of room for players to change things up. They’re bone simple, but also iconic. I mean, where do you go with “Hold Me” or “You Make Loving Fun,” for example?
Lindsey himself is the Mac guitarist who demolished and rebuilt his signature studio solos the most, by far. By the time the band had been touring Tusk for a few months, the studio solos had all but disappeared, distorted into the most bizarre sound shapes imaginable. Listen to the way he dragged his guitar parts over broken glass, whether out of creative fire or boredom or both. No other guitarist ever attacked those songs with such ferocity or individuality.

https://youtu.be/6H_A8PCOOPE?t=117

That's the irony of all the moaning and groaning about "sameness" with him in the band. A set list is just a set list. But an inspired musician can take any song and rekindle the fire, if he's up to it. How do you think we can stand listening to yet another recording of perhaps 400 recordings of the Appassionata? We don't always need a new dish. Sometimes we're in the mood for an old dish cooked in a new way.

In song after song on tour, once he loosened up, he deveined and butterflied his solos like shrimp, dunking the entire song in drawn butter. Very tasty - but it did not always go over well with some of the audience who expected to hear the rich smoothness of the albums. Who cares about them, in the long run?

moviekinks.blogspot.com