The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[I have to do it, son. You don't have to. You don't belong here. Go on. Save yourself. Try to forget you ever heard big machine, small machine.]

March 30, 2016 Fort Worth Star Telegram By Robert Philpot

Springsteen guitarist Nils Lofgren talks about solo career, E Street Band

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/enterta...#storylink=cpy

When Springsteen contacted Lofgren about the tour, Lofgren put his own solo tour — including a scheduled Dallas stop — on hold to rejoin the E Streeters. It’s an example of what Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham calls “The Big Machine and The Small Machine” — being part of a massively popular act, but also trying to maintain an identity as a solo artist.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...tranter-636414

10 questions for Broken Witt Rebels' James Tranter
By Michael Astley-Brown

First guitars and onstage mishaps

5. Is there an aspect of guitar playing that you'd like to be better at?

"I'd like to improve my fingerpicking techniques. Recently, I've been taking inspiration from Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham (particularly from his songs Never Going Back and the acoustic version of Big Love). I'm inspired by how he plays three different guitar parts on one guitar - it's genius. I'm definitely improving, but there's still a long way to go."

[thanks to Nicole for pointing me to this.]

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

elle you need to bump this and start at new thread (same topic) called Bucknuggets.

Still one of my all time faves.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an Acoustic Guitar piece on Andy McKee] April 8, 2016

http://acousticguitar.com/video-prem...deo-for-ouray/

“My tune ‘Ouray’ is, in fact, the first instrumental acoustic guitar piece that I wrote,” McKee tells Acoustic Guitar. “It was inspired by a trip to a small village in Colorado called Ouray many years ago. Technically speaking, this tune is heavily influenced by the playing of Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac. In fact, I borrowed the tuning ‘CGDGBE’ from him — he used it on his tune ‘Never Going Back Again’ from the Rumors album.”
Old 04-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Canadian Promoter Paula Perri talks about Memorable concerts]

Amplify Magazine April 15, 2016 by Frankie Victoria

http://www.ampthemag.com/the-real/fi...entertainment/

Fleetwood Mac at Air Canada Centre, 2009

The song ‘Silver Springs’ makes me tear up whenever I hear it. To hear it live hit me right in the gut. Stevie Nicks forever. Also, to see Lindsey Buckingham play a guitar solo is out of this world. It’s watching someone do exactly what they were born to do. His musicianship is hard to match.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

7 San Diego NBC, Dustin Lothspeich May 11, 2016

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/blogs/sou...378580906.html

[interview with Bleached]

DL: When I listen to the record, I think it almost sounds like an almost punk version of Fleetwood Mac. Is that off-the-wall?

Jennifer: No, not at all.

Jessica: I feel like that's totally dead-on.

Jennifer: The first time I ever heard Fleetwood Mac, I was going through my parents' records, and I was like older, and I had just gotten out of high school, and I was like, "I want to try listening to this band Fleetwood Mac. I feel like I want to know what they’re about." And then I listened to "Tusk," and I was like, "Oh my God, this is so punk!" I felt like it was this secret punk record that I had just discovered.

Jessica: [Laughs]

Jennifer: And when I did some reading about it, I learned that Lindsey Buckingham was inspired by the whole post-punk scene in England, so I was like, "OK, that makes sense." I don't know -- I think coming from loving punk so much, and finding Fleetwood Mac, and the harmonies and the melodies and the guitar sounds and the synths -- it all just blew me away. I never thought I would like music like that. I thought I was punk for life [laughs].

DL: Well, the record has been really well-received. Have you seen any bad press on the band? Do you bother reading that stuff?

Jennifer: I don't really read our reviews that often. But, really, the only negative thing I'll see is someone being really mean in a comment or something.

DL: Oh, yeah, comment sections are the garbage cans of the world.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/blogs/sou...#ixzz48POH4C00
Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook
Old 05-25-2016, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Guy Names BBQ After Lindsey]

Columbia Tribune By CLAIRE LARDIZABAL Tuesday, May 24, 2016

http://www.columbiatribune.com/arts_...2fa83b98f.html

Barbecue that rocks: After 20 years of traveling with rock bands, barbecue expert Mark Brown settles down in Columbia

The Buckingham Smokehouse Bar-B-Q logo is inspired by Lindsey Buckingham’s 1993 solo tour. Buckingham is a member of Fleetwood Mac.

Although his rock ’n’ roll days are over, Brown’s restaurant sports mementos from his past. The name Buckingham comes from Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham; the logo of the cowboy riding the pig is an image from Buckingham’s 1993 tour. Brown calls his horseradish coleslaw the “Barry White” coleslaw because he once paid a Cincinnati barbecue cook $100 and two Barry White stage passes in exchange for the recipe. Brown also sells Show-Me Liquid Smoke, something he used to tote during his tour days, along with other local and regional spice rubs and barbecue sauces.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Electronic R&B Artist Jessy Lanza Wants to Make You Dance
http://www.villagevoice.com/music/el...-dance-8678284

'I was really focused on this idea that I wanted to make a record that was at least a lot poppier than the first one," says Jessy Lanza. The genre-blurring singer and producer is referring to her debut album, Pull My Hair Back, which was nominated for the 2014 Canadian Polaris prize — a big deal in Canada, where I'm from. I've managed to catch her on the phone at the beginning of her European tour to promote her new album, Oh No, freshly out from U.K. dance label Hyperdub. She's a long way from her home in Hamilton, Ontario, getting ready to play the second of back-to-back sold-out shows in London before she hits New York in July.

"It takes a lot of concentration and energy to deliver a whole set of slow burners," she says, referring to the minimalist, atmospheric tracks that made up most of her first album, which featured sultry rhythms and basslines layered under sparse vocals that owed a debt to Nineties r&b. "It takes a lot of energy to do fast songs too, but usually those songs get the audience going as well, so you can kind of feed off that."

She answers my questions cheerfully, but occasionally I can hear Lanza stifle a yawn, the fatigue from a busy few months catching up with her. She already toured Europe earlier this spring, opening for Junior Boys; Lanza frequently works closely with the electropop duo's Jeremy Greenspan, with whom she co-wrote and produced both her albums. (Lanza credits him with penning Oh No's title track. "I actually have no idea what that song's about," she says with a laugh. Greenspan, for his part, tells the Voice that the songs he writes for her "can go in different directions depending on Jessy's ideas or enthusiasm.")

Oh No is filled with nods to different genres and influences. It's the type of album that could soundtrack both a trendy gallery opening and a rooftop party, one that rewards careful listening but doesn't require it. Sure, it has a few slower jams — the mellow "I Talk BB" sounds like it could have been written for Pull My Hair Back — but Lanza mostly shows she's ready to let loose. In "VV Violence" (the "VV" stands for "very very"), she breaks out of her trademark high, breathy vocal register to open with the bratty chant, "Yeah, I say it to your face, but it doesn't mean a thing, no!" before rolling into an infectious, make-your-foot-tap drumbeat.

"Her sound has grown, evolved, and maybe sounds a bit more confident than the first album," says Kode9 (né Steve Goodman), the London-based DJ and owner of Hyperdub. "She shares elements with Prince, Eighties boogie, freestyle, Patrice Rushen, and r&b vocalists, in particular Aaliyah."

Lanza's electronic influences, it might be argued, come — at least indirectly — from her father, who ran a speaker rental business that served as a de facto crash course in electronic music production. (He and her mother were also both musicians, mostly playing in cover bands.) "[My father] bought synthesizers and drum machines," she says. "That sort of stuff was always around my house, but I didn't really take an interest in actually learning how to use it until, like, seven or eight years ago."

Instead, she first went on to study classical and jazz piano. But Lanza kept an open mind when approaching different genres. An uncle who lived in Japan introduced her to 1980s-era Japanese pop; she credits the Tokyo-based electro group Yellow Magic Orchestra as being a major influence on Oh No, and lately she has become obsessed with the legendary and prolific Akiko Yano's frenetic 1981 album, Tadaima. She also admits to listening to a lot of AM radio in Hamilton, which keeps 1970s acts like James Taylor and Steely Dan in heavy rotation. "I'm a big sucker for solo Lindsey Buckingham records," Lanza says. "Maybe that's not surprising, though."

Hamilton, a sleepy industrial city with a burgeoning arts scene located just southeast of Toronto, ended up being hospitable to her experimental urges. It's where she met Greenspan, as well as composer Dan Snaith, who performs under the stage name Caribou. "Jessy has a unique combination of skills as an artist," Snaith tells the Voice via email. She knows a ton about recorded music and has a "traditional harmonic and melodic" songwriting instinct, he says. "Crucially, though, she can take all that knowledge and distill it with her own sensibility to make something unique."

That's evident on the new record, which regularly approaches familiar pop territory only to make a sharp turn with a sudden vocal squeak or an uncanny rhythm pattern. It was while touring with Caribou that Lanza was inspired to venture into more dance-friendly pop. "Just seeing people respond to [Caribou] every night, there was an amount of energy that, when playing myself, I don't think I quite experienced," she says. "I absorbed that in some way, just this envy of wanting to be the one to make people really lose their minds."

Though Lanza still has a summer of touring ahead, Oh No has already proven itself to be another critical hit, an amalgam of niche international and anachronistic influences seamlessly blended into ten relatively accessible tracks. Canada has already excitedly laid claim to her artistry (as we do), but now she's primed to take over the rest of the world. As for how successfully it holds up as a dance record? That's for the audience to decide.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From a Cincinatti.com Album review

Luann Gibbs, lgibbs@enquirer.com 10:25 a.m. EDT June 6, 2016

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/ente...ound/85477950/

Kyle Craft - “Pentecost”

It’s difficult to choose a favorite cut from “Dolls of Highland,” the gorgeous new power pop album from Sub-Pop artist Kyle Craft. I chose “Pentecost” for its Lindsey Buckingham sound, but honestly there is no filler on this glam-infused slice of summer.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article about fast food places. I like the way this lady thinks]

By DEBORAH WHEELER July 9, 2016

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/business...-when-in-hurry

“I do not like it at all,” she said. “I really have enjoyed not seeing any fast-food chains ugly up the scenic corridor. I would go through their drive thru only if Mick Jagger or Lindsey Buckingham were at the window — maybe.”
Old 08-26-2016, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Express News Description of Lyle Lovett]

By Hector Saldana, August 25, 2016, Express News

http://www.expressnews.com/entertain...ly-9183753.php

Thirty years ago, to the casual observer, his debut album’s cover gave little hint of the popular image seared in the mind when it comes to Lyle Lovett.

Photographed in profile, there was no sign of the wry crooked grin or wiry, gravity-defying hair reaching for the ceiling.

Instead, as if on good behavior, he maybe favored a poor man’s Lindsey Buckingham.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
From a Cincinatti.com Album review

Luann Gibbs, lgibbs@enquirer.com 10:25 a.m. EDT June 6, 2016

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/ente...ound/85477950/

Kyle Craft - “Pentecost”

It’s difficult to choose a favorite cut from “Dolls of Highland,” the gorgeous new power pop album from Sub-Pop artist Kyle Craft. I chose “Pentecost” for its Lindsey Buckingham sound, but honestly there is no filler on this glam-infused slice of summer.
Thanks for quoting that! This is a great album! And the whole thing has a Young Lindsey vibe, especially vocally. Without this post I would have missed that.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...ting-in-a-tree

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...ting-in-a-tree

[excerpt from an interview with Hamilton Leithauser and Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij

Do you think being that adaptable to your surroundings allows you to get that much more done?

Rostam: Yeah, I think so. For me, recording music is a part of most days in my life. I find some way to record something, whether it's in my living room with my iPhone or in my studio cutting vocals or going to a studio and recording drums. It's some part of my life. I think that's true of a lot of young people that have used computers to make music. I read an interview with Flume where he wrote a lot of music on his laptop while riding on trains in Europe.

Yeah, I can't see some of the old-timers like George Martin trying to use an iPhone on a train as a way of producing music.

Rostam: Yes, except there are all of those stories about Lindsey Buckingham making most of Tusk in his house all alone. It sounds radically different from song to song, and there are myths that some of them are all Lindsey—he played all of the instruments and recorded it all by himself at his house. It's in the tradition of that.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Tribute Performer Talks about how they Prepare]

Centre Daily Times by John Marsh October 13, 2016 1:52 PM

http://www.centredaily.com/entertain...107975937.html

“The guitar player we have is absolutely amazing. He has everything down pat, what Lindsey Buckingham does,” Pesavento said. “What a lot of people don’t know is that Lindsey brings about 14 guitars with him to every show. Basically he uses seven guitars throughout his show all tuned differently for the specific songs that he has and obviously a backup for each one. Our guitar player will have six different guitars onstage and they’re all tuned identically to Lindsey’s.”

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/entertain...#storylink=cpy
Old 10-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wonderland Interview with Sports 10/25/2016

http://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/20...-noise-sports/

Who’s your dream collaboration?

Jacob: I recently heard that Lindsey Buckingham collaborated with a newer artist. I think that’d be pretty cool. And Vangelis. If those two worked together who knows what would happen. I wanna be there for that.