Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Paul McCartney as Mick Fleetwood

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but did you guys know that when Paul McCartney did his remarkable video for Coming Up, where he plays most of the band (through video trickery) as various famous musicians, that he plays the drummer as Mick Fleetwood. I haven't seen this video since I was a kid, before I really knew who Fleetwood Mac was, and while watching it today I jumped up right in the middle of it and screamed (Oh my God, that's MICK!!!).

Old 08-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Forgive me if this has been posted before, but did you guys know that when Paul McCartney did his remarkable video for Coming Up, where he plays most of the band (through video trickery) as various famous musicians, that he plays the drummer as Mick Fleetwood. I haven't seen this video since I was a kid, before I really knew who Fleetwood Mac was, and while watching it today I jumped up right in the middle of it and screamed (Oh my God, that's MICK!!!).

I've never seen that before. It was pretty funny. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is funny, I do remember that clip, as the one of Phil Collins, Can¿t hurry love, when he appears in several roles too.

I didn't see that video as a parody of impersonators, but I was 14 at that time. Even now, I don't see Mick as the drummer, frankly. He should be wearing his typical costume. I don't find any other character, except for one of the guitar man who looks like Buddy Holly.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default The characters in the video were...

The Buddy Holly looking guitarist was actually Hank Marvin of the 50's English group "The Shadows". On keyboards was Ron Mael of "Sparks" and unfortunately the drummer is supposed to be Ginger Baker. I believe one of the sax players is supposed to be Frank Zappa. Very funny video indeed and still funny today. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
The Buddy Holly looking guitarist was actually Hank Marvin of the 50's English group "The Shadows". On keyboards was Ron Mael of "Sparks" and unfortunately the drummer is supposed to be Ginger Baker. I believe one of the sax players is supposed to be Frank Zappa. Very funny video indeed and still funny today. Thanks for sharing.
I was wondering if anyone would "get" the Ron Mael character. Good call on the Hank Marvin.

The sax player he's playing with the big mutton-chop sideburns, slicked back hair & sunglasses is supposedly Andy MacKay from Roxy Music.

Isn't the male background singer character with Linda supposedly Ray Davies of the Kinks?

And, ok, to state the obvious, the bassist is "Beatle Paul".

Last edited by chiliD; 08-25-2008 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ginger Baker.
Makes sense given the use of his studio during Band On The Run.

I remember it was announced on Aus TV as being John Bonham which never seemed to fit.

So who's the long-haired guitarist? Some have suggested Neil Young, but the character is a leftie.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Hippie guy

I think Paul said the dude with long hair was just some hippie guy. I thought it could have been several guys and would have been better had he focused on a person like Neil Young but still it was a great video.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I was going by the comment on the YouTube video but that was written by a fan, so it very well could be inaccurate. I did get the idea that he was doing Mick as the drummer, especially when he'd get that wide eyed smile going on. LOL!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default I saw that too!

I saw that wide eyed look too and it does look like a "Mick" expression. The beard is far too unkept to be Micks' however. He nailed the Hank Marvin and Ron Mael looks and I think many of the other looks were too vague. Except of course "Beatle" Paul. All in all Mick or no it was a great video.