Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking The Grove

Last nights show was definitely the best of the 3 L.A. shows that I saw this week. :

I got to talk with LeeLee(sp?) before the show and she was amped to the max about going on stage. Can't say that I blame her. She also told me that she was eight years old and in the second grade. Great family and great kids.

After the concert, as SNLB and WildHeart said, we got an unofficial meet and greet with Lindsey and Walfredo. I was hoping that Brett would come over but he went back inside and then security shooed us out of the parking lot. Walfredo told me that they were going to Vegas tomorrow-which is actually today now. I had to get some sleep after all the driving around SoCal this week.

BTW the band sounded a lot better tonight than they did in San Diego on Tuesday and the rest of the tour should kick ass! Can't wait for the MacAttack!

A shout out to all the board members I met last night and Front Row Fred I think you were standing to my right at the stage last night. I didn't realize it until late last night. Was that you? Did you make it to the stage too?

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow
Old 09-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Those pictures are so cute.

It would be cool if there was video of this. It sounds like a very special little moment on LB's tour thus far.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

I don't know if this has been mentioned in other threads or if should have its own thread, but I noticed at last nights show that the merchandise booth was selling autographed copies of EACH of Lindsey's solo cds. At Royce Hall they weren't doing that and I was only expecting to see Gift Of Screws at the Anaheim show and I planned on buying it, but imagine my surprise when I saw my favorite LB cd, Out Of The Cradle being offered with an autograph! So, just a heads up for those of you who are interested in Lindsey's earlier solo cds. They were $20.00 a piece (except the DVD/CD which is $30.00).
Old 09-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for that info. Out of the Cradle autographed??!!!?? Um, yeah, they better have some of those available for me. Did they have any new/different shirts? I only strictly wear the skinny fit types because those big ones are always huge on me and I don't think they're flattering (for me).

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Ledgie

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the shirts (I think I was too gaga from seeing Out Of The Cradle autographed!) and the only girlie shirt I remember seeing was a reddish one with the guitar on the front. I thought that was offered on the last tour, but again, I could be totally wrong. I know there were several other Gift Of Screws men's shirts, but I can't remember if there was anything different, shirt wise. Maybe someone else paid better attention than I did.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNLB View Post
Here are a few photos from last nights festivities:
Your photos are awesome -- and they weren't easily obtained. Even until the very end, I saw security telling people to put the cameras down.I love the shot of the kids on stage. Michele
Old 09-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Thanks for that info. Out of the Cradle autographed??!!!?? Um, yeah, they better have some of those available for me. Did they have any new/different shirts? I only strictly wear the skinny fit types because those big ones are always huge on me and I don't think they're flattering (for me).
I used to sell merchandise at a venue in Phoenix for whatever band was playing that night. People would always ask me what size t-shirt they should buy. I always recommended XXL. I'd say, "look at me." "When I was your age I was stick thin and can no longer fit into the shirts I bought in the 1980's." Most of us when we get older, get fatter so that size small you pay for today will not fit you in 25 years. Just a suggestion. Also my "blame it on my wild heart" t-shirt is still in mint condition but I haven't been able to fit into it since 1988.And no, it's not for sale...
Old 09-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNLB View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned in other threads or if should have its own thread, but I noticed at last nights show that the merchandise booth was selling autographed copies of EACH of Lindsey's solo cds. At Royce Hall they weren't doing that and I was only expecting to see Gift Of Screws at the Anaheim show and I planned on buying it, but imagine my surprise when I saw my favorite LB cd, Out Of The Cradle being offered with an autograph! So, just a heads up for those of you who are interested in Lindsey's earlier solo cds. They were $20.00 a piece (except the DVD/CD which is $30.00).
I didn't know this. I didn't even visit the merchandise table. Now, I probably won't see him again until the end and they may be gone by then. Hope not!

Michele
Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Your photos are awesome -- and they weren't easily obtained. Michele
Tell me about it. Did you notice that security came over and told a couple of people in the Buckingham camp that there was no picture-taking? Somebody in the "tribe" must have told security who they were and suddenly it was okay! Hahaa! Too funny.

In 2006, the same thing happened to me at this venue. I was taking pictures with flash and got quite a few before security told me to stop. I can't remember if they just told me to stop using flash or stop altogether. I took the rest of the photos without flash and got some okay shots. So, last night, I kind of knew what to expect. I got some shots early on and tried not to take too many. I could see exactly where the security guy was so I was trying to be careful, but when the kids came on stage for It Was You, I flipped on the flash and snuck a shot. Up to that point they hadn't told me to stop, even though I saw them telling others to stop, so I figured it I got busted, at least I'd have that shot with his kids. It was just too good to not try for it. Once we got to the stage, however, it was all said and done. Right in front, everyone had their cameras flashing. When he signed for me last night, I told him I thought his children were adorable. Referring to It Was You, he said, "Wasn't that cute?" and went on to say how they tried to get all three of them on stage.

I think those kids have show-biz in their blood. They sure loved the attention last night while they were doing their hand-stands, splits, whatever on stage before the show started. Last night after the show while we were standing at the fence, Will and Lee Lee came over and checked us out. I am an Elvis and Billy Joel fan. I have seen them both perform live, and I have seen their kids, Lisa Presley and Alexa Joel perform live. Makes me think in another 8-10 years that I'm going to be seeing the name Will Buckingham making his way to an L.A. club since he's writing songs with his dad already. There's something to look forward to!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
A shout out to all the board members I met last night and Front Row Fred I think you were standing to my right at the stage last night. I didn't realize it until late last night. Was that you? Did you make it to the stage too?

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow

Well I don't know if it was me standing next to you but I did make it to the stage, it was a great show, I got one of Brett's picks. What does the T.I. stand for? Anyone?
Here are some of my pics, (taken when the camera nazis were not looking)

A couple of notes, the first two songs had no one playing bass but there was a heavy (and loud) bass line going so I guess it was recorded? Kind of odd. Lindsey is a great "picker" guitar player and will be high on my list, (sorry but Jeff Beck is still the best)

9/19/08 Anaheim
Old 09-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey ledgies it was great to meet you last night, mom loved y guys too, she is THEEE Fleetwood Mac fan, and she is the one that got me into all of this so yea, i got pics too, so as soon as I have time I will post, and if anyone could.....could you post the picture of us ledgies that my mom took???

By the way the show was simply amazing, it seemed so personal, and heartfelt, and just felt so warm toward the end, when everyone went to the stage just standing there and swaying to TPT.....I felt like I was going to die, I feel like it was a living room performance, just all gathered around and listening. WALFREDO!!!! is an amazing man, haha so nice and very cool. and What can i say?? I have waited 5 years to meet Lindsey hahah, glad I did, on such a special occasion last night,.......my senior year memories of HS just keep getting sweeter....

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL FLEETWOOD MAC!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Lindsey did something i have neevr seen before..he lip sang the high pitch laughter on the chorus of GOS. Please correct me if I am wrong

Last edited by sywlindseyfan; 09-20-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Old 09-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sywlindseyfan View Post
Hey ledgies it was great to meet you last night, mom loved y guys too, she is THEEE Fleetwood Mac fan...could you post the picture of us ledgies that my mom took???
Your wish is my command. Great to meet you and your mom. She brought ya up right, kid! Please thank your mom from me for taking the photo. It's fun to have photos like that. That "Fiesta" sign kept getting in my photos. Anyone know who that is next to sywlindseyfan?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sywlindseyfan View Post
P.S. Lindsey did something i have neevr seen before..he lip sang the high pitch laughter on the chorus of GOS. Please correct me if I am wrong
The to the left, the right, stuff at the end of GOS is recorded too. Michele
Old 09-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default OC Register Grove concert review

Below is the link and I've pasted the review. For those who want a hard copy, it should be in Sunday's newspaper. If you go to the link, there are more pictures as well as a link to the setlist.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/l...6-anaheim-gift

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lindsey Buckingham's return to the Grove a strong one

Review: Two years since a solo acoustic gig there, Fleetwood Mac's studio mastermind fleshes out his solo sound with a band.

By GEORGE A. PAUL

The Orange County Register

For the Lindsey Buckingham completist, this was as good as it gets.

During an exceptional, nearly two-hour show Friday night at the Grove of Anaheim, the Fleetwood Mac singer-guitarist-studio-wiz touched upon virtually every facet of his lengthy career. Buckingham's wife and young children were present, a likely catalyst for his relaxed and chatty demeanor.

Unlike the last tour – which arrived at the Grove in late 2006 – Buckingham indulged fewer guitar showcases alone. (See "Live at the Bass Performance Hall," released earlier this year, for a fine example of that). His tight three-piece band this time out, including keyboardist-bassist Brett Tuggle (a veteran of Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks treks) and guitarist Neale Heywood, rocked plain and simple.

Since Buckingham compositions were continually given over to the Mac, 14 years elapsed between his third solo disc, "Out of the Cradle," and the mostly acoustic effort "Under the Skin." But this past week the impressive "Gift of Screws" (a title based on an Emily Dickinson poem) arrived in stores – the veteran musician is definitely making up for lost time.

Buckingham employs a unique, self-taught finger-picking style on electric and acoustic guitars. The result is a distinct sound that can be a wonder to behold live.

In Anaheim, half of "Screws" comprised the 20-song set, kicking off with the churning new "Great Day," where Heywood, Tuggle and their boss traded overlapping harmonies. (Click here for a complete set list.) Solo hits from the '80s like "Trouble" and "Go Insane" were played back-to-back, each done in full-band mode. The former had a gorgeous rhythmic sweep; the latter, an almost country-rock vibe with cascading vocals from all three guys.

Evil Buckingham cackles, tribal drums from drummer Walfredo Reyes and ominous keyboards marked a wicked "Tusk," with Tuggle triggering the USC Marching Band horns. That prompted the first of several standing ovations.

The evolution of 1987's "Big Love" was described "an ensemble piece before I took leave of the band to relieve my sanity." Buckingham, 59, said refashioning it for just voice and guitar became a template for future work. "I'd been living a narrow life" until I got married. "Now the song has taken on a sense of irony." Watching Buckingham's manic buildup and nimble fretwork on flamenco-styled guitar during that song never gets old.

One of the evening's oldest tunes was "World Turning" from the Mac's self-titled 1975 album. It's been a frequent part of that band's gigs ever since. The crowd didn't have to endure Mick Fleetwood's loony human percussion shtick here, but Reyes' extended spotlight was clearly a tribute.

Some lighthearted moments occurred during the rarely played "It Was You," a "rock nursery rhyme written for my kids," as Buckingham described it. Halfway through the breezy tune, with more cascading vocals, his son and daughter tentatively strolled on stage to add percussion, proud papa beaming throughout.

Buckingham also pulled out the strange and bombastic "Come," off the Mac's shamefully ignored 2003 reunion effort, "Say You Will." It was a "bathroom break" tune when I reviewed them at Verizon in '04, but fans at the not-quite-sold-out Grove stayed seated. (I would've picked something more melodic off that disc, such as "Bleed to Love Her" or "Steal Your Heart Away," and given either one a tweak).

"Gift of Screws," meanwhile, is chock-full of potential adult rock radio hits. The yearning first single "Did You Miss Me?," with its memorable chorus, came across even better in concert, for instance.

Once Buckingham and company reached the home stretch, the audience was on its feet, wildly clapping along to exhilarating old "Rumours" faves "Go Your Own Way" and "Second Hand News." All told, Buckingham proved he's still a force to be reckoned with.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink The Grove

Great Pictures Front Row Fred.

I think T.I. on the pick means "Totally Insane!" or "Too Intense" or "Total Insanity"or "This Issue" or my personal favorite: "Troubadour Idol".

Now what do we do when "the lights go down and there's no one left standing on the stage.."

Carol-Lynn