User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
yeah really, f. this s. What's wrong Georgie? (That's you're name, right?) I left a $200 coat at a hall Saturday night. If it's not still there I think I may die.
Yeah, I second that. What's wrong G-girl?

TerraR, Hope you get your coat back.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
yeah really, f. this s. What's wrong Georgie? (That's you're name, right?) I left a $200 coat at a hall Saturday night. If it's not still there I think I may die.
Yeah, it's Georgie I'm in a crummy mood tonight after I argued with my mum and walked Max in just jeans and a t-shirt. It's like 41f outside and I didn't wear shoes because I'd stormed out with the intention of not coming back. I decided drama isn't my thing and skulked home soaking with an equally wet (and now really stinky) dog. I should probably go to bed too, but by doing so, it's like my mum has won

/teenageangst

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I spent the weekend visiting with my college roommate in Indiana. Today, the two of us drove down to our school, Indiana University, and spent 6 hours reliving our days there. We walked around our old dorms, got to see some of our classrooms, the main drag with the bars and restaurants, places where we worked. We just took it all in.

It was my first time back there since I graduated in 1997. I couldn't believe the rush of nostalgia that washed over us and we journeyed back in time to how we spent the first four years of our adult lives. It was so surreal to see the same buildings, some completely untouched from the day that we were last there and then other buidlings had a complete face lift.

Two things I took away today was how much more commercialized the town was and how absent today's techology was a mere 13 years ago. Cell phones were for doctors and lawyers back then and we all had dial-up and computer labs. Now we saw kids replacing congregating and hanging out with texting and laptop surfing. Nowadays we have problems unplugging for even an hour.

To all of you guys that are currently in college or are going to be attending soon, just promise yourselves that you'll make the most of your experience. My friend and I , while don't have many regrets, realize how there were clubs and groups and classes we didn't expose ourselves to. Just make the most of the small glimpse of time you really get to find yourself at school.

Anyway, it was an amazing trip back in time today. JTIS....

Last edited by Amlyn; 11-08-2010 at 06:06 PM..
Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^Amlyn, that was a really cool post! I enjoyed everything you wrote. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlyn View Post
I spent the weekend visiting with my college roommate in Indiana. Today, the two of us drove down to our school, Indiana University, and spent 6 hours reliving our days there. We walked around our old dorms, got to see some of our classrooms, the main drag with the bars and restaurants, places where we worked. We just took it all in.

It was my first time back there since I graduated in 1997. I couldn't believe the rush of nostalgia that washed over us and we journeyed back in time to how we spent the first four years of our adult lives. It was so surreal to see the same buildings, some completely untouched from the day that we were last there and then other buidlings had a complete face lift.

Two things I took away today was how much more commercialized the town was and how absent today's techology was a mere 13 years ago. Cell phones were for doctors and lawyers back then and we all had dial-up and computer labs. Now we saw kids replacing congregating and hanging out with texting and laptop surfing. Nowadays we have problems unplugging for even an hour.

To all of you guys that are currently in college or are going to be attending soon, just promise yourselves that you'll make the most of your experience. My friend and I , while don't have many regrets, realize how there were clubs and groups and classes we didn't expose ourselves to. Just make the most of the small glimpse of time you really get to find yourself at school.

Even cooler, assuming that she means the Bloomington campus(the main IU campus), is that that's my town, and my alma mater.

Amlyn, the town has really changed in the past 10 years. All of those high rise apartments downtown, have really changed our skyline. And they're the reason for the dorms changing, too. I NEVER realized(being poor back then, and commuting, until the start of my junior year) that there were than many people who could afford $1500-2000 apartments! But there's apparently an infinite supply. So that's why the dorms are changing...no one wants to live there anymore, so they're making them more upscale, to have more appeal.

And it is funny about the cell phones and wifi. My 75yo aunt, who actually is very cool and hip, and I, are in complete agreement, that the world we live in now, is a completely different world, than that of ONLY 15 years ago. Technology has completely changed our world, in too many ways to mention.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Very cool post, and I'm definitely trying to make the most of the experience.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 PM
HomerMcvie
This message has been deleted by HomerMcvie.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Very cool post, and I'm definitely trying to make the most of the experience.
Glad to hear it! Are you going home for T-giving break? THat was always so exciting for me, especially freshman year because you got to see everyone back home and it was just a true homecoming!

Keep us updated. I know i don't post much but i always read what you guys are up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Even cooler, assuming that she means the Bloomington campus(the main IU campus), is that that's my town, and my alma mater.

Amlyn, the town has really changed in the past 10 years. All of those high rise apartments downtown, have really changed our skyline. And they're the reason for the dorms changing, too. I NEVER realized(being poor back then, and commuting, until the start of my junior year) that there were than many people who could afford $1500-2000 apartments! But there's apparently an infinite supply. So that's why the dorms are changing...no one wants to live there anymore, so they're making them more upscale, to have more appeal.

And it is funny about the cell phones and wifi. My 75yo aunt, who actually is very cool and hip, and I, are in complete agreement, that the world we live in now, is a completely different world, than that of ONLY 15 years ago. Technology has completely changed our world, in too many ways to mention.
You bet I meant Bloomington. Yeah, i was amazed at the price of things. I looked up tuition and room and board and about fell off the floor 3x what i paid 13-17 years ago. Im so happy i got to return. If you told me 2 year ago I'd be back, I would have never believed it.

As great as my mini vacay has been here in Indiana, I"ve anxious to get home. I"ve been at the Indy airport delayed for 2.5 hours. Great new airport BTW, except after 7pm there's no food! OMG...finally boarding!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Though it was just a dusting, we had our first snowfall this morning in Western Massachusetts. I still walked 5 miles in the wind and the rain and the water today. It's my exercise routine. I got fat in all type of weather and I will get thin the same way.
What was the weather like for you Caitlin?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You bet I meant Bloomington. Yeah, i was amazed at the price of things. I looked up tuition and room and board and about fell off the floor 3x what i paid 13-17 years ago. Im so happy i got to return. If you told me 2 year ago I'd be back, I would have never believed it.

As great as my mini vacay has been here in Indiana, I"ve anxious to get home. I"ve been at the Indy airport delayed for 2.5 hours. Great new airport BTW, except after 7pm there's no food! OMG...finally boarding!!!
I love Bloomington. How much is tuition now? I still have friends in school, but I've just never asked. I graduated a couple of years before you.
As far as all of the high rent apartments, from what I've been told....is that we now have a lot more rich, east coast kids, than we used to have. And Daddy doesn't blink at 2K/month rent(hell, that's $600 more than my mortgage, which is a 10 year mortgage!).
But some things never change....Nicks, The Trojan Horse, The Bluebird(did you make it there?).

I've only picked up friends at the new airport, and not seen the inside(since I'm terrified of flying!). Hope you have a safe flight!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I love Bloomington. How much is tuition now? I still have friends in school, but I've just never asked. I graduated a couple of years before you.
As far as all of the high rent apartments, from what I've been told....is that we now have a lot more rich, east coast kids, than we used to have. And Daddy doesn't blink at 2K/month rent(hell, that's $600 more than my mortgage, which is a 10 year mortgage!).
But some things never change....Nicks, The Trojan Horse, The Bluebird(did you make it there?).

I've only picked up friends at the new airport, and not seen the inside(since I'm terrified of flying!). Hope you have a safe flight!
I am home! Once we took off the flight was uneventful and about an hour and a half. I live about 25 mins north of the airport so all things considered, it was less than three hours once i sat in my seat till now.

We got there around 9am and went to see our old dorms, walked around the Union, Ballantine (EXACTLY the same). We ate at Dagwoods, walked down Kirkwood and we didn't go into any of the bars, but i took some pics of Nick's and Kilroy's. It was completely memory lane. We took a ride out to where the mall is. Wow..that is all built up now. It was just crazy. But i'm soo happy i finally made it back there. I"ve been longing to do it for years and I went with my best friend from school who i'm back in touch with after losing touch with her for 8 years.

When i went to IU I'm guessing that my tuition was somewhere between 8 and 9k and room and board was somehwere around 4k. Instate tuition now was close 1.5 times that and they estimated out of state at close to 30k. Blew my mind to see that. There's no way I would have ever been able to attend IU today if I lived out of state.

Anyway, today was a long day, but minus the delayed flight, it was such a trip. My friend kept saying everything was trippy.....i kept laughing a little cause every time she said it I had Stevie's voice in my head saying trippy.

I'm heading to bed momentarily. I"m exhausted.

Homer - where do you live in Bloomington?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The great white cotton season is almost over.
Most of our fields have now been cut. After this
is done, one more grass cutting day. Then the
enjoyment of Winter will come. Amen.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I over slept and missed my first two classes. But it is an amazing day outsid and I only have one class until I can enjoy it! Now if only I had a diet coke.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
I over slept and missed my first two classes. But it is an amazing day outsid and I only have one class until I can enjoy it! Now if only I had a diet coke.
I want to skip my class in twenty minutes SO BADLY. You don't even know.

Amlyn, your post was gorgeous. Thank you

I made a bad decision of a ranking of 6 on my roommate and my bad decision scale last night. For perspective, a 10 is ripping off your limbs just to rip them off. 9 is ripping off your limbs for fun.
You're so like me
Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am home! Once we took off the flight was uneventful and about an hour and a half. I live about 25 mins north of the airport so all things considered, it was less than three hours once i sat in my seat till now.

We got there around 9am and went to see our old dorms, walked around the Union, Ballantine (EXACTLY the same). We ate at Dagwoods, walked down Kirkwood and we didn't go into any of the bars, but i took some pics of Nick's and Kilroy's. It was completely memory lane. We took a ride out to where the mall is. Wow..that is all built up now. It was just crazy. But i'm soo happy i finally made it back there. I"ve been longing to do it for years and I went with my best friend from school who i'm back in touch with after losing touch with her for 8 years.

When i went to IU I'm guessing that my tuition was somewhere between 8 and 9k and room and board was somehwere around 4k. Instate tuition now was close 1.5 times that and they estimated out of state at close to 30k. Blew my mind to see that. There's no way I would have ever been able to attend IU today if I lived out of state.

Anyway, today was a long day, but minus the delayed flight, it was such a trip. My friend kept saying everything was trippy.....i kept laughing a little cause every time she said it I had Stevie's voice in my head saying trippy.

I'm heading to bed momentarily. I"m exhausted.

Homer - where do you live in Bloomington?
Glad you had a safe flight.

Nick's looks the same, but they expanded into the building next door, even though you really can't tell, from the outside. Kilroys was closed all summer this year, as they just finished adding the second story to it, a couple of months ago.
Was your walk yesterday???? Because I was downtown, doing errands, and it was sooooo freaking nice outside, that I walked from downtown, down Kirkwood, past Dagwood's, and back downtown, around 2PM, so in theory, we might have passed each other!

Tuition....wow, I forgot you were out of state. When I was there, they had just gone to a flat rate, for up to 17(I think?) hours. In state was ONLY like $1700/semester. I only lived in a dorm for one semester, and I don't remember how much room and board was. But I could never have afforded to go to an out of state school. I really lucked out, in that I grew up 25 minutes from IU(in Nashville, IN). Textbooks are insane now, though. My best friend is in the Kelley School of Business, and his textbooks were $1100 this semester! Insanity!

It is trippy, going back in time. If you ever make it back here, please get in touch, and we can do dinner or something!

I live 4 miles west of town. I've got 5 acres in the (sort of) country. Best of both worlds....5 minutes to everything, yet peace and quiet, here. If you ever attended the county fair here, I'm about a mile west of the fairgrounds.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Registered

Just wonder: Do you guys tip when you go to pick up take-out? There's an Italian place I like a lot and I usually do tip since I get food there once a week, and they seem to appreciate it.
Also need to ask- do you guys tend to tip FedEx or UPS delivery drivers? I don't want to do that, but I have a somewhat large FedEx shipment coming tomorrow, (24 pounds or so) and if a tip is expected, I don't want to be cheap.
I suspect the FedEx drivers are paid well enough and get health insurance and other benefits, while the small restaurant workers probably are paid poorly with little or no benefits.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 11-09-2010 at 07:15 PM..