The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song is beautiful and I cannot help but wonder how much more beautiful it would be with Stevie's vocals included.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After I played It Takes Time I remembered Brandon saying it wasn't what he was expecting. I wasn't expecting anything other than the hope that I was gonna like the new music. I could instantly tell this was Lindsey playing piano. He has a distinct way of playing just like Stevie does when she plays(has her own distinction). I really liked this track, a lot. It is so nice and tender to have a ballad from Linds, especially a piano one. It's funny that usually I'm the one who doesn't like something by this band when the rest of you are raving. It feels so good to like something from the first listen. Many times in the past I had to listen to a LB song several times before I 'got it.'
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

unlike many, it doesn't bother me at all that It Takes Time borrows from Show You How chorus. and that's because i hated Show You How repetitive chorus (while i like SYH verses a lot, chorus just ruined that song for me). so It Takes Time rights the wrong that wrong and brings to the surface the actual prettiness of the Show You How chorus.

i think it's a completely unexpected and a really pretty ballad. love when his voice cracks when he sings. i had to listen to it over and over when i first heard it, couldn't resist. however, i actually don't like the strings and would bring in less sparse arrangement at that point to make it perfect.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
His singing style kinda reminds me of Randy Newman's in this tune.
That's it.. Bang on! Love the track!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
So I thought I'd start a thread on this song for a couple of reasons. Mainly, it's wholly unlike anything we've ever heard from Lindsey... or from Fleetwood Mac for that matter. A piano ballad?! This is a shocking departure for the our band!
I figured the piano player was Lindsey or Mitchell Froom. I had hoped it would be Christine, but I will say that I predict (let me put on my turban here) that Miss Fantasy will be added in Europe and that Christine will play on it and that the ending will be even more extended when she plays on it. I feel that they must have shared this song with her when she was in Los Angeles.

Lindsey is always, "Ah piano. Gotta make room. Losing 30%. Help me. I'm dying here. No testosterone left." And suddenly there's a very prominent piano on half the tracks on a 4-track EP. There's got to be a reason for that. Either he has been in touch with a pianist or he wants to touch one.

As for the song, I think it's plodding and I don't think it would be good live. I think it would hurt a live set, BUT I love its message so much that I can't help but be moved and it is growing on me. I hear it as the end of the conversation he started in Show You How. When the lights go out what's it all about?

It's like he's saying, "I've been a crazy man in a crazy band for 30 years and even when we weren't performing together, I was holed up in my studio with Richard. I haven't had a 'normal' life in decades. I've never had a family since I left my parents' home. I want what you want, but I need time to adjust and to let go of the drama and pain I thought was natural for so long. I thought it made me creative and I clung to it. Now, I have to find a way to be fulfilled without that. It took me 30 years to get here. It's going to take a little while to get away. If you want to save me, it's going to take time.

And it's so gentle and needy and heartbreaking that it pulls me in, even if I wish it had more melody.

Then, you cap it off with Miss Fantasy which kind of saddens me in a different way and I think this EP packs a lot of emotional punch for just 15 minutes of sound.

Michele
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I'm pretty sure the piano playing is Lindsey. He's played a lot of keyboards on most of his solo albums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
The piano track is so simple. I'm sure he is the one who plays it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I figured the piano player was Lindsey or Mitchell Froom.
argh. do you all have me blocked or something?? see here:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...46&postcount=2

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
The song certainly took me aback. It's good....that's as high as i can go at this point. It's kinda too much of a dirge-fest for me and usually i like that sorta stuff, lol. real draggy. It's good though. I was looking forward to it cause of the high praise but....it's ok.

Mick
I can say that if this song had been on the UTS tour, I'd still be in a coma listening to all of those . . . Shut Us Down, UTS, Not Too Late and It Takes Time. Lethal stuff strung together. But I can take it as one snuggled in among uptempo songs.

Michele
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And suddenly there's a very prominent piano on half the tracks on a 4-track EP. There's got to be a reason for that. Either he has been in touch with a pianist or he wants to touch one.
isn't Froom a keyboardist? i'm vaguely remembering reading something about him suggesting and sending piano or keyboard parts to Lindsey / FM guys when they were working on those new tracks.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
The song is beautiful and I cannot help but wonder how much more beautiful it would be with Stevie's vocals included.
Oh please, it would RUIN perfection!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
I'm not a Lindsey fan. But i've always (since Tusk) classified Lindsey Fleetwood Mac songs as just Lindsey songs because he's doing everything on these tracks.
Me too. That's why I thought the arguments that he should do a solo song if Stevie does Stand Back were silly. All of Lindsey's songs are solo songs. I see him as being a member of FM mainly through his work on other people's songs. End of Gypsy? That's Lindsey in Fleetwood Mac. That's All for Everyone? That's Lindsey on Mars.

Michele
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
unlike many, it doesn't bother me at all that It Takes Time borrows from Show You How chorus.
Because Show You How is a masterpiece in the same way that the Mona Lisa is and is meant to be copied, like all great art? I see your point.

I don't mind it because most people have never heard Show You How, so it's not like he came and stole from GYOW. I don't care if the 3 people who know Show You How see the similarities, because most FM fans will have no idea.

To me, it only sounds like SYH with "Slow down baby. Cross that line." That's the only part that sounds ripped off to me and to me it's more sampling SYW than ripping it off.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 05-01-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's beautiful. I like the lyrics a lot. Don't like the fact that he borrows from show you how, But besides that, it has a deep quality, reflection seldom heard. If Chris had played it on her Fender Rhodes with her touch and depth, it would have been the best song he wrote since Tusk. But Hey! She did not.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
argh. do you all have me blocked or something?? see here:
We do, Elle. I only see you when other people quote you.

No, I'm saying what I thought. Past tense. That was my guess.

Michele
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It's like he's saying, "I've been a crazy man in a crazy band for 30 years and even when we weren't performing together, I was holed up in my studio with Richard. I haven't had a 'normal' life in decades. I've never had a family since I left my parents' home. I want what you want, but I need time to adjust and to let go of the drama and pain I thought was natural for so long. I thought it made me creative and I clung to it. Now, I have to find a way to be fulfilled without that. It took me 30 years to get here. It's going to take a little while to get away. If you want to save me, it's going to take time.
still not a big fan of the song but I do like your interpretation.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. That's All for Everyone? That's Lindsey on Mars.

Michele
I wish he went back there.