User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I don't know that I'd compare her chops to Lindsey's just because 1. he's my favorite and 2. their experiences are totally different, her coming from a solo situation from the start, etc. But. I do think she is the perfect person to play mediator, and honestly, if they're going to haul in another "name" musician, I would rather it be Sheryl than any of the pop tarts floating around out there now.

As a side note, I thought Brett did a fine job on the keys during the SYW tour, and I gained quite a bit extra respect for him during Lindsey's solo tour... so I hope there's still some work for him to do with the new round.
I never said their chops were comparable; just that SC has legit credibility as a singer/songwriter/producer/engineer, just like Lindsey has legit credibility. The other I like Sheryl Crow in this role is that, like Christine, she has a bit of a blues/R&B streak in her. No, she doesn't play the blues like Christine, but she does play a mean organ... If anything, I think her style is closer to Steve Winwood than Christine.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
^^^

Touche and detente

As for SC's politics - that will end when she joins The Mac.
Or when you see the neck of a Fender bass guitar sticking out of her mouth.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just fail to really see how the dynamic would work. I barely "get" Stevie and Sheryl together, much less Sheryl and FMac.

in the end, I have no strong opinion either way right now.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I never said their chops were comparable; just that SC has legit credibility as a singer/songwriter/producer/engineer, just like Lindsey has legit credibility. The other I like Sheryl Crow in this role is that, like Christine, she has a bit of a blues/R&B streak in her. No, she doesn't play the blues like Christine, but she does play a mean organ... If anything, I think her style is closer to Steve Winwood than Christine.
My mistake. When you said that she had the chops that Lindsey has except from a female perspective, I took that as a comparison...

At any rate. I am still guessing that it will be less of a "Hey look, Sheryl Crow is in Fleetwood Mac"... and more of a split bill, with "our good friend and special guest Sheryl Crow" joining in on a few pieces. The more I think about it, the less of a problem I have with it. My biggest problem with the SYW tour, in all honesty, was Stevie singing Don't Stop. I hope they do us the favor of taking it out of the setlist instead of bastardizing it further.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^
gawd. I'm not even sure I like that.

if I were a commentator on Best Week Ever (and I so should be), this would be a downgrade.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Lindsey (and his therapist) would probably consider compromise to be a healthy thing- in all aspects of his life. This isn't his band. It's the four (or five) of them together. He's had his opportunity to exorcise his demons with his solo work (that has gone largely unheard), so he should adapt to being a member of a band, or just leave the band altogether. I don't think Lindsey has helped to crank out garbage in the past, so I certainly don't think he will do so with Sheryl Crow on board. A change would do him good!
Your posts are just getting silly (to be polite).

I don't disagree that Stevie writes some good material, but when arranged/produced by Lindsey - it is in another league altogether. All top bands need someone who will push them from doing the mundane/predictable to something a bit more leading edge and risky (commercially). Lindsey does that for Fleetwood Mac. Without him they wouldn't be the band they are.

He and Stevie are integral to Fleetwood Mac and both need to be comfortable with new members joining the band. Neither should have to 'put up or shut up'. I'd rather Mick, John and Lindsey tour and be happy and creative than see Mick/John/Stevie and Sheryl line up and no Lindsey.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
Neither should have to 'put up or shut up'. I'd rather Mick, John and Lindsey tour and be happy and creative than see Mick/John/Stevie and Sheryl line up and no Lindsey.
So much word. Times a million. Exactly.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . Neither should have to 'put up or shut up' . . . .
Unless I missed it, he said they would have to compromise not put up or shut up. Did I miss something?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Unless I missed it, he said they would have to compromise not put up or shut up. Did I miss something?
I don't know what Lindsey said. My view, as stated, is that neither Lindsey or Stevie should have to put up with anyone in the band that they don't want to see in it. They are the what we pay our money to see. John McVie is simply the best bassist alive, Mr Fleetwood is an irrelevance (IMO) but the creative bit is Stevie and Lindsey and I don't want Sheryl Crow in preference to Lindsey.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Your posts are just getting silly (to be polite).

I don't disagree that Stevie writes some good material, but when arranged/produced by Lindsey - it is in another league altogether. All top bands need someone who will push them from doing the mundane/predictable to something a bit more leading edge and risky (commercially). Lindsey does that for Fleetwood Mac. Without him they wouldn't be the band they are.

He and Stevie are integral to Fleetwood Mac and both need to be comfortable with new members joining the band. Neither should have to 'put up or shut up'. I'd rather Mick, John and Lindsey tour and be happy and creative than see Mick/John/Stevie and Sheryl line up and no Lindsey.
Look who's being silly (to be polite)!

You're, for whatever reason, automatically under the assumption that Lindsey is unhappy about any of this. Why does this automatically have to be a Lindsey or Sheryl issue? For all we know, he may have been the pushing the decision to bring Sheryl into the fold. We just don't know.

Also, I thought that Lindsey's production of Stevie's songs in SYW pretty much sucked badly. I really cannot get over the way he destroyed "Smile at You." And "Silver Girl" makes me want to slit my wrists. And the chipmunk-y choruses of "Say You Will" . He's no Phil Spector and he's not even a Jimmy Iovine. I'm all for risks and edge... as long as it's any good. I agree that FM would not be what they are without Lindsey, but you could say the same thing about Christine and Stevie. It's about teamwork and compromise. And if you can't compromise, you have no business being part of a band.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know what Lindsey said. My view, as stated, is that neither Lindsey or Stevie should have to put up with anyone in the band that they don't want to see in it. They are the what we pay our money to see. John McVie is simply the best bassist alive, Mr Fleetwood is an irrelevance (IMO) but the creative bit is Stevie and Lindsey and I don't want Sheryl Crow in preference to Lindsey.
I think I misunderstood you. I think LB would look forward to this collboration. Why wouldn't he, though he still has his rock album to do. I, unlike others, do not think they will see it as individual fiefdoms. I think that though they fight, they really do try and work together and collaborate.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also, I thought that Lindsey's production of Stevie's songs in SYW pretty much sucked badly. I really cannot get over the way he destroyed "Smile at You." And "Silver Girl" makes me want to slit my wrists. And the chipmunk-y choruses of "Say You Will" . He's no Phil Spector and he's not even a Jimmy Iovine.

I rather like the SYW version of Smile at You. The angry demo version was alright, but it sounded - zomg i'm going to say it - just like every. other. stevie demo out there. The SYW version has John's slammin' bass part on it, and obviously Stevie approved of it, or that "child" would not have made it to the disc.

Silver Hurl just sucks all around, everything about it sucks.. the way she sings it, the words, the melody... I don't think Lindsey could do anything at all to save that one... total fail. I don't know wtf they were thinking on that, to be honest, and I stand by the opinion that I stated however long ago in whatever thread it was - Silver Girl is a disgrace to the entire Fleetwood Mac catalogue. Other tracks that aren't my favorite I can deal with as a matter of difference in taste. But SG? No. It makes me irate and borderline physically ill when I accidentally hear more than 1.5 seconds of it because I didn't get to the skip button in time. And I've seen people who say they like it, and I just don't understand it at all, so I'm not going to argue with them about it.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
. . . Silver Hurl just sucks all around, everything about it sucks.. the way she sings it, the words, the melody... I don't think Lindsey could do anything at all to save that one... total fail . . . .
I heard part of the demo and it is very different from the final version. The demo - some of which can be heard on the DR doc is very soft and pretty. So, I think LB ruined that one.

In the end, it sounded to me that LB lost his magic touch for her songs on SYW. It sounded like he put left over after though tracks on them. I liked many of the songs though, but they were just not that exciting or what he seemed to be able to do with them in the past - see Sara and Storms.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Look who's being silly (to be polite)!

You're, for whatever reason, automatically under the assumption that Lindsey is unhappy about any of this. Why does this automatically have to be a Lindsey or Sheryl issue? For all we know, he may have been the pushing the decision to bring Sheryl into the fold. We just don't know.

Also, I thought that Lindsey's production of Stevie's songs in SYW pretty much sucked badly. I really cannot get over the way he destroyed "Smile at You." And "Silver Girl" makes me want to slit my wrists. And the chipmunk-y choruses of "Say You Will" . He's no Phil Spector and he's not even a Jimmy Iovine. I'm all for risks and edge... as long as it's any good. I agree that FM would not be what they are without Lindsey, but you could say the same thing about Christine and Stevie. It's about teamwork and compromise. And if you can't compromise, you have no business being part of a band.
Not even Phil Spector, Lindsey Buckingham, Tom Petty, Jimmy Iovine, Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, George Martin and Brendan O'Brien working TOGETHER could have salvaged either Silver Girl or Say You Will. They were crap songs.

My issue with your post was the bit 'adapt to being a member of the band or leave'. This is the guy that has given his best work to the band. During at least two albums when his colleagues had drink/drug issues - Mirage/Tango - he worked his arse off to get some product out that had some credibility. He is a team player!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

I disagree. I think SYW was a great song. I think it needed another stanza and a better vocal from her.