The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The stuff they put out as country now is NOTHING but pop rock! Rascal Flatts? Give me a break!!! All those soul vocal inflections. There's not a country note in there. Apparently, there's not a big enough demographic for REAL country, thus Gaylord ending TNN. There are new country acts out there playing real country, but you have to search for them, as they're most likely only on an indie label.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
So, would you say you're a country purist? Is Reba too modernized for you? I can how she might be. It's funny how some think she's from the old school and others say she's another one of those new ones who's not as good as the standards.
I wouldn't necessarily call myself a purist. It's funny how I got hooked on country. I had been watching Dallas and Dukes on TNN back in the day and really found myself liking the pedal steel guitar and Waylon Jennings. In fact, I really got into Waylon Jennings and Hank Williams, Sr. But what really did me in was the Byrds "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" album. I became completely taken by Gram Parsons and Clarence White. From there, I got into the subsequent Flying Burrito Brothers, and then Gram's solo work which featured a then unknown Emmylou Harris. Soon thereafter, I found myself getting into the whole alt.country/No Depression thing. I especially loved Lucinda Williams and Wilco. They just were able to write songs of substance, with a country flair. It was a new spin on country that wasn't tired sounding. It didn't sound like a dime-a-dozen bunch of artists.

Basically, I like country artists who have songs that will stay in my head for all of the right reasons who are unique. I just don't see that today with mainstream country acts. Also, I have to say that I REALLY don't like these wussy country songs that are meant to tug at the heart. I like the drinkin', cheatin', my wife left me country songs. I like the rowdy country songs. I like it when country artists are as ugly as the rest of us! I LOVE pedal steels that are actually used as lead instruments, especially when they trade licks with a fiddle section. Gimme Buck, Waylon, Willie, Hank, Cash, Dolly, Loretta, Patsie, Porter, Jones, Tammy, Marty Robbins, Charlie Walker, Charlie Rich, Emmylou, Skaggs, Flat & Scruggs, Glen Campbell, Bill Monroe, Lloyd Green, Floyd Kramer, the Carter family, Conway, Chet, etc. But, don't forget Jeff Tweedy, Jay Ferrar, Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams, the Jayhawks, the Flatlanders, Neko Case, Junior Brown, etc. THAT'S MY country music.

As for Reba, I would agree that she is one of the bridge artists. She's not exactly new country, but she's also not classic country. I know a lot of folks really like her music, and I will admit that she is a very talented singer and actress, but admittedly, she is not one of my favorites. She's always been a little too pop for my tastes.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I've always thought of Reba as the "bridge" between old and new country. Although I must say, I much prefer her older stuff.
Me too. A lot of her pop stuff doesn't appeal to me.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
The stuff they put out as country now is NOTHING but pop rock! Rascal Flatts? Give me a break!!! All those soul vocal inflections. There's not a country note in there. Apparently, there's not a big enough demographic for REAL country, thus Gaylord ending TNN. There are new country acts out there playing real country, but you have to search for them, as they're most likely only on an indie label.
Oh, I know! I am not a Rascal Flatts fan at all! I rarely find new country music that does anything for me or really seems to be uniquely country.

And I'm with Steven--sometimes when country artists are "as ugly as the rest of us," that's when they come up with the best stuff. By the way, have you heard Reba's material before about 1985? I'm just wondering because you said she's always been a little "too pop." I was wondering if you viewed her work from that period. as traditional country or still along the lines of maintstream to some degree.