The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Ledgie

Default So what other bands are you guys into around here?

Personally, I'm an absolute SUCKER for Toto. I think they are awesome. I also love Steely Dan and Genesis. Those guys along with the Mac are pretty much all I listen to these days. Sometimes I'll put on a bit of Foo Fighters though. And I LOVE a bit of Bowie.

When I was a younger I was into Red Hot Chili Peppers, Korn, Incubus, Slipknot, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More, Jane's Addiction, Pink Floyd (can't listen to them anymore. Brings back, ahem, dubious memories), Senser.

My taste changed a bit as I hit my 30s and I went for stuff that was bit softer. The music I listened to as a younger man is just too loud for me now, lol.

What about you guys? What else do you dig apart from the obvious?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
Personally, I'm an absolute SUCKER for Toto. I think they are awesome. I also love Steely Dan and Genesis. Those guys along with the Mac are pretty much all I listen to these days. Sometimes I'll put on a bit of Foo Fighters though. And I LOVE a bit of Bowie.

When I was a younger I was into Red Hot Chili Peppers, Korn, Incubus, Slipknot, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More, Jane's Addiction, Pink Floyd (can't listen to them anymore. Brings back, ahem, dubious memories), Senser.

My taste changed a bit as I hit my 30s and I went for stuff that was bit softer. The music I listened to as a younger man is just too loud for me now, lol.

What about you guys? What else do you dig apart from the obvious?
The Floyd and the Mac are my two main musical obsessions, but I like the Beatles, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eurythmics, and I quite like some newer ones though they tend to be more flakey. I had a Mumford and Sons moment last year, but I think there was a bit of over exposure there.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Doors
Concrete Blonde
Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Muse
Vampire Weekend
Franz Ferdinand, I have tickets to see them April 21!
The Black Keys
Depeche Mode
Kasabian
Coldplay
Whitest Boy Alive
Portishead
Mazzy Star
The Cinematics (*cry* they broke up after only two albums)
Everything But The Girl
Honeycut
Gorillaz
The Presets
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Concrete Blonde

These are all bands that I share an equal obsession for; at least as much (and often moreso) than Fleetwood Mac.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 01-11-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Everything But The Girl
Now THERE is a band I've not heard of for a few years! Blimey! Whatever happened to those guys?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Muse
Vampire Weekend
Franz Ferdinand, I have tickets to see them April 21!
The Black Keys
Depeche Mode
Kasabian
Coldplay
Whitest Boy Alive
Portishead
Mazzy Star
The Cinematics (*cry* they broke up after only two albums)
Everything But The Girl
Honeycut
Gorillaz
The Presets
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Concrete Blonde

These are all bands that I share an equal obsession for; at least as much (and often moreso) than Fleetwood Mac.
Gorillaz but not Blur?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Gorillaz but not Blur?
I've never actually heard Blur (that I know of). Weird, I know.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Registered

paloma faith
emile sande
jamey johnson
elijah black
iron maiden
queen
valerie june
rumer
trisha yearwood
early black sabbath
the mavericks
raul malo
cyndi lauper
azis
the cars
tom petty
gorillaz
madonna
p!nk
pink martinis
dixe chicks
pretty much any one who sings ,older counrty music , but no autotune , studio creations
and no so much in to rap

Last edited by olive; 01-12-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've never actually heard Blur (that I know of). Weird, I know.
Ah. It's just that Damon Albarn founded both Blur and Gorillaz!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anything Simon Kirke related (drummer for Free and Bad Company) he's got one solo album out so far that I adore.
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Anything Stephen Stills related (Buffalo Springfield, CSN/Y, Manassas, solo stuff)
Van Halen/ Van Hagar
Anything Eric Clapton related (Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes, solo stuff)
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Black Sabbath

I love these genres:
rock: hard rock, blues rock, folk rock, country rock, southern rock, singer-songwriter, pop/soft rock, stoner rock, psychedelic rock, prog rock, grunge, alt. rock*metal: traditional/nwobhm, thrash/speed metal, doom metal, prog metal, sludge metal, power metal, hair/glam metal, death metal, black metal*blues: British blues, electric blues*country: Alt country, classic country, outlaw country, some modern country*rap: old school rap( started before the year 2005 or so)

The link in my signature is a link to my last fm page (music site). It shows all the stuff I like.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
I love these genres:
rock: hard rock, blues rock, folk rock, country rock, southern rock, singer-songwriter, pop/soft rock, stoner rock, psychedelic rock, prog rock, grunge, alt. rock*metal: traditional/nwobhm, thrash/speed metal, doom metal, prog metal, sludge metal, power metal, hair/glam metal, death metal, black metal*blues: British blues, electric blues*country: Alt country, classic country, outlaw country, some modern country*rap: old school rap( started before the year 2005 or so)

The link in my signature is a link to my last fm page (music site). It shows all the stuff I like.
That's a great list of genres - I didn't know there were so many types of metal - like doom, sludge and hair/glam. I don't think it would be my kind of music but interesting to know they exist.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
That's a great list of genres - I didn't know there were so many types of metal - like doom, sludge and hair/glam. I don't think it would be my kind of music but interesting to know they exist.
Thanks! . You might like the hair metal ballads ( Every Rose has its Thorn for example). Doom metal is like Black Sabbath, but heavier. Sludge is doom mixed with southern style rock (Like Lynyrd Skynyrd). It's really distorted and heavy
Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure there are many bands I have as much by as I do of Fleetwood Mac and pretty close to all Mac related solo recordings or anything they were significantly involved in...

Gene Clark and The Byrds might rank second place.

Totally unrelated, but Stereolab I seem to have everything by up to the early 2000s, something around 50 releases including vinyl.

The Beatles I probably have everything by but not so much of the later solo years.

I have loads of Yes and related things too, but really mainly play the first four albums and any Chris Squire or Steve Howe dominated productions.

Fairport Convention and sandy Denny are coming on strong the last few years. If I have books and DVDs about the artists it's getting serious.

The Hollies, up to the mid-'70s. Really underrated in America.

The Rolling Stones... but only the Brian Jones years so far really. As with Yes I have later stuff but it sits ignored mostly.

I also have every Miriam Makeba on vinyl up to the '70s, but that was a shorter lived completist obsession. Los Machucambos seemed to start me on the vinyl completist trail, they are/were a France based south American folk combo who were most popular in the '60s and '70s.

A Vancouver group called The Collectors and then Chilliwack was another vinyl obsession where I got as far as all non-LP cuts on singles. Same for Ottawa's Staccatos, and Toronto's The Paupers and Edward Bears. Luke & The Apostles/Kensington Market still have a few major vinyl gaps (especially this one release on a 'Stone' label).

Mamas & Paps/Cass Elliot I was heavily into once, but got everything together fairly quickly. Havin some obscurity to chase tends to keep the obsession burning. Also very into The Three Suns as arranged by Charles Albertine for a brief but intense time. Then a lot of folk Decca recordings by Scottish artists Archie Fisher, Barbara Dickson, Rab Noakes and Bread Love & Dreams.

Oh yes, and there was a fling with Japanese pop starting with Shonen Knife and ending in Pizzicato Five sometime back in the '90s. Lolita #9, Mummy The Peepshow, Dizzy Joghurt, Puffy Ami-Yumi. I drag them all out every other year.

Are you sorry you asked this question yet?

Last edited by becca; 01-12-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Havin some obscurity to chase tends to keep the obsession burning.
So true. The collector in me loves bands with vast catalogs and obscure releases.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hanson
Joni Mitchell
Carole King
Haim
John Denver
Dolly Parton
Ariana Grande
The Beatles

Really random stuff tbh.