Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I love the Save Me video. If anything for its crucifix klonopin stare. I sort of like the Native American theme. Interesting to say the least. Thankfully the director did not do some cheese Chris chasings some guy or something. Videos are like artwork. The good ones make you think.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I agree on Hold Me. I thought it was a pretty good video. I mean, NOTHING can compare to Gypsy, but it's still very good.

And you left Love Shines off the list....
I love the song Love Shines, and the video isn’t bad by any means, but it’s so repetitive… so many scenes of people hugging. Still, I wish both the song and video would have caught on.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Gypsy is pretty extraordinary. It cost a lot, but every penny shows. It was clever to put Stevie in the background for Hold Me, considering the unprecedented role she played in Gypsy.

I wonder if your love of FM is why you love the video for Hold Me so much? If it were another band, would you enjoy it as much? I don’t know, I’m just asking. I know for As Long As You Follow, Save Me, and Skies the Limit, it’s my love of FM that makes me love those videos, but if it were another band with those same videos, I probably wouldn’t like them nearly as much.

My faves:
Gypsy
Little Lies
Big Love
As Long As You Follow
Save Me
Skies the Limit
Seven Wonders
Tusk
Hold Me
Why would it be clever? She was part of the band even though she's not on the song. What else could she do except lay in a chair and stare?
Old 07-20-2022, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Why would it be clever? She was part of the band even though she's not on the song. What else could she do except lay in a chair and stare?
I’m sure when the video for Hold Me was first released, some folks were surprised at how little she appeared. By putting Stevie in the background (and rightly so, as you mentioned she’s not even on the song) there was little risk of overexposure to the audience, or jealousy by her band mates, considering the large role she played in Gypsy.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I'm the only one who things that Sugar Daddy ROCKS.

Well, f*ck all y'all!

Edit- Oops, wrong thread. But I still stand by my statement!!!
Old 07-20-2022, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, f*ck all y'all!

I love Sugar Daddy especially the 5.1 Surround Sound version.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree on Hold Me. I thought it was a pretty good video. I mean, NOTHING can compare to Gypsy, but it's still very good.

And you left Love Shines off the list....
Sh!t I love this…..totally forgot

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-20-2022, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, f*ck all y'all!

Sh!t, I don’t love this.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-20-2022, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, f*ck all y'all!

Calm down mother Pence.
Sugar Daddy rocks but its more of a groovy blues songs. Waddy does a great guitar solo.

Maybe the doctor is right, you do need all 3 pills a day. The moderator can easily move your post to the correct thread.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m sure when the video for Hold Me was first released, some folks were surprised at how little she appeared. By putting Stevie in the background (and rightly so, as you mentioned she’s not even on the song) there was little risk of overexposure to the audience, or jealousy by her band mates, considering the large role she played in Gypsy.
I dont get what you are saying. Stevie was the writer and lead singer of Gypsy. Why would she not get most of the spotlight? I dont think anyone got jealous. It would have been rude to exclude Stevie from the Hold Me video so they had to include her some way. She is not on vocals and does not play an instrument. I dont think she is in it less than John or Mick. I think everyone got their fair share. Its a Chris/Lindsey song so them taking the lead would be normal. I just dont agree there was a conscious effort to keep her in the background. There are multiple shots of her up close painting, laying, and carrying a painting.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There are multiple shots of her up close painting, laying, and carrying a painting.
I’ve always thought “Hold Me” was a much-better-than-average video, with lots of little production touches and colors that took you on a little journey into a famous painter’s style. Just watch some of the other MTV videos from 1982 to appreciate how hip “Hold Me” is. In 1982 all the bands were doing the same thing in their videos: standing on a pretend stage and lip-syncing or acting out stupid little mini-dramas, heavy spotlights from behind, wind and fog machines, petroleum jelly or stockings over the lens to make everything look gauzy, dancers in stiletto heels (all the cliches that “Love Will Show Us How” was poking fun at). Michael Jackson was doing videos that were actually good, as everyone knows, but who else? Springsteen did an excellent video for “Atlantic City” which ignored all the conventions and cliches, but that was a rare exception in the early 80s. Most of the dreck I watched every afternoon after class was like “Don’t You Want Me Baby” or “My Angel Is a Centerfold” or “Who Can It Be Now” — videos that were only tolerable because the song was cool. Now they’re all just corny nostalgia. But “Hold Me” is good corny nostalgia, visually.

Edit: Peter Gabriel, “Shock the Monkey” — excellent.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 07-20-2022 at 06:09 PM..
Old 07-20-2022, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In 1982 all the bands were doing the same thing in their videos: standing on a pretend stage and lip-syncing or acting out stupid little mini-dramas, heavy spotlights from behind, wind and fog machines, petroleum jelly or stockings over the lens to make everything look gauzy, dancers in stiletto heels (all the cliches that “Love Will Show Us How” was poking fun at).
Now that’s what I’m talking about! Lindsey playing guitar on stage, with the fog machine on full blast surrounding him, and hands reaching out to touch his guitar, while Christine is playing keyboards with her hair blowing via wind machine, and Stevie twirling around and around. That would have been so much better! Dancers would have been a nice touch, too.

Or maybe not.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gypsy is pretty extraordinary. It cost a lot, but every penny shows.
It is extraordinary. How much did it cost? It's weird Mick mentioned Big Love video cost and not Gypsy's, which obviously had to cost much more. Weird for Mr. money.

We spent a quarter million dollars on the totally surreal video for "Big Love," the single of which quickly jumped into the Top Ten.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
It is extraordinary. How much did it cost? It's weird Mick mentioned Big Love video cost and not Gypsy's, which obviously had to cost much more. Weird for Mr. money.

We spent a quarter million dollars on the totally surreal video for "Big Love," the single of which quickly jumped into the Top Ten.
Supposedly, Gypsy was the first music video to cost a million dollars. I have no idea if that’s true but considering the filming, camera work, costumes, number of extras in the video, the sets, the number of days it must have taken to film, and that incredible painted backdrop at the end of the video, and I believe it.

I wonder if the record company helped pay for the video for Gypsy, seeing as how MTV was still fairly new then. That would also explain why Mick mentioned the cost of Big Love, because by 1987 I wouldn’t be surprised if the band may have had to pony up more money to make videos. Just a guess.

Last edited by bwboy; 07-20-2022 at 08:46 PM..
Old 07-20-2022, 09:15 PM

My favorite in this order:

Seven Wonders
Hold Me
As Long As You Follow
Little Lies
Sara
Big Love
Gypsy
Save Me
Skies The Limit
Tusk