User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-19-2022, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I remember an interview with the band asking about the Mirage title and they could not explain it either except John McVie came up with the title. Anyone remember that or something different? John named Rumours and Mirage.
I actually like the title of all the Fleetwood Mac albums especially Mirage. Mystery To Me is my favorite then Tango In The Night and Rumours and Mirage. I also like Behind The Mask including the cover.
I can understand why John may have come up with Mirage. They had done Tusk which many saw as a disaster and wanted to return to a Rumours-esque type of formula. In terms of a single word, I don’t think it’s any more deep than trying to think of an ‘enigmatic word’ that encapsulates a feeling of uncertainty. At the end of the day, if you begin with rumours as a starting point, then Mirage is a logical ‘word’ that meets the brief.

What else? Maybe ‘Enigma’

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-19-2022, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
It is. When you mentioned Magritte I googled and found this.

The video for this song was inspired in large part by the works of the Belgian painter Magritte, whose paintings appear in the clip. It was directed by Steve Barron and shot in the Mojave Desert. The combination of extreme heat and band tension made for a very difficult shoot. Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks had all started solo projects, and getting the band to collaborate was a lesson in futility. The video's producer Simon Fields said in I Want My MTV by Craig Marks, "John McVie was drunk and tried to punch me. Stevie Nicks didn't want to walk on the sand with her platforms. Christine McVie was fed up with all of them They were a fractious bunch."

The video was subpar, but it was a fresh Fleetwood Mac video, which was good enough for MTV, which in 1982 was desperate for new clips by rock artists, especially established ones. Fleetwood Mac's video for "Tusk" was one of the few they had available when they launched on August 1, 1981.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/fleetwood-mac/hold-me
The video was sun-par….really? What’s this guy talking about? Despite all the tensions, I think they produced an absolute gem. I think it’s a brilliant video. Not Gypsy level, but not too far away.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-19-2022, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You once yelled at me because I didn't know Christine's cut out was an actual b3 Hammond.

I was afraid to say anything for a while.
Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to...

--------------
The Time band sporting their beards. I think this is the only shot of Christine and Bekka together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmcmbb95.JPG (67.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-19-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to...

--------------
The Time band sporting their beards. I think this is the only shot of Christine and Bekka together.
If you think I was bad to you, just think what jbrowns will do!
Old 07-19-2022, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
The video was sun-par….really? What’s this guy talking about? Despite all the tensions, I think they produced an absolute gem. I think it’s a brilliant video. Not Gypsy level, but not too far away.
I’m with Villavic- Hold Me is a subpar video. I think generally, the band members all look good, but the video is disjointed and largely forgettable. That’s true of a lot of videos though.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I’m with Villavic- Hold Me is a subpar video. I think generally, the band members all look good, but the video is disjointed and largely forgettable. That’s true of a lot of videos though.
Not every music video can be a coherent visual masterpiece like In The Back Of My Mind.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

--------------

There’s also one of them jamming before Billy rejoined.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-19-2022, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

I loved the Time lineup.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

I've always loved this photo!
Old 07-20-2022, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Not every music video can be a coherent visual masterpiece like In The Back Of My Mind.
I don’t even count videos like In the Back of My Mind, Everywhere, or Paper Doll. I just think Hold Me is a forgettable video. Ok for what it was, when it was, but subpar overall. I like seeing Stevie in a red dress, and it’s fun to watch Christine “act”- she does a good job emoting the lyrics, but it’s a simple video. And there ain’t nothing wrong with that. Not all videos need to be epic masterpieces.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I don’t even count videos like In the Back of My Mind, Everywhere, or Paper Doll. I just think Hold Me is a forgettable video. Ok for what it was, when it was, but subpar overall. I like seeing Stevie in a red dress, and it’s fun to watch Christine “act”- she does a good job emoting the lyrics, but it’s a simple video. And there ain’t nothing wrong with that. Not all videos need to be epic masterpieces.
But it was ground breaking and cost a lot of money for its time. Back in those days people tried to be creative with making videos. I think the Mirage videos are better than anything Tango ever put out including everyone's solo careers.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just don’t get it. I personally think it is a bit of an epic masterpiece. Not Gypsy level, but vying for second best FM video.
Think I did creat a thread about top 10 videos once….

1) Gypsy
2) Hold Me
3) Big Love
4) Little Lies
5) As Long as You Follow
6) Tusk
7) Seven Wonders
8) Everywhere
9) Save Me
10) in the Back of My Mind

Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-20-2022, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've always loved this photo!
I love the beard one because there they are all huddled together. This photo (though nice) looks like each of them was photoshopped into it. I mean, I’m sure they’re all in the same room but none of them, except Mick and Bekka, are close. For me, it looks a bit formal, stiff.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just don’t get it. I personally think it is a bit of an epic masterpiece. Not Gypsy level, but vying for second best FM video.

1) Gypsy
2) Hold Me
3) Big Love
4) Little Lies
5) As Long as You Follow
6) Tusk
7) Seven Wonders
8) Everywhere
9) Save Me
I agree on Hold Me. I thought it was a pretty good video. I mean, NOTHING can compare to Gypsy, but it's still very good.

And you left Love Shines off the list....
Old 07-20-2022, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

1) Gypsy
2) Hold Me
3) Big Love
4) Little Lies
5) As Long as You Follow
6) Tusk
7) Seven Wonders
8) Everywhere
9) Save Me
Gypsy is pretty extraordinary. It cost a lot, but every penny shows. It was clever to put Stevie in the background for Hold Me, considering the unprecedented role she played in Gypsy.

I wonder if your love of FM is why you love the video for Hold Me so much? If it were another band, would you enjoy it as much? I don’t know, I’m just asking. I know for As Long As You Follow, Save Me, and Skies the Limit, it’s my love of FM that makes me love those videos, but if it were another band with those same videos, I probably wouldn’t like them nearly as much.

My faves:
Gypsy
Little Lies
Big Love
As Long As You Follow
Save Me
Skies the Limit
Seven Wonders
Tusk
Hold Me