The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Many thanks to Michele and Redtulip for the amazing coverage from setlist to photos to video your detailed work and time to share are appreciated, esp your links to Elle who kept Twitter lively and entertaining! Erin, your photos are amazing as always-thank you! Thanks to all who pulled reviews, vids, etc and shared here. I cannot recall who shared what but wanted to offfer my thanks.

For those who were there: did you have any trouble securing your place at stage? The stage area did not look too crowded to me and I'm curious if people hung back or if security restricted access (or if it was biz as usual).
Old 10-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rhiannon

Old 10-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://blog.thecurrent.org/2014/10/c...neapolis-show/

Christine McVie rejoins, re-energizes Fleetwood Mac at emotional Minneapolis show
by Jay Gabler · October 1, 2014 FLEETWOOD MAC REVIEW 1

Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac. Photos by Nate Ryan/MPR.

Every night is a little emotional when you’re the mystical gods and goddesses of pop rock, but Tuesday evening at Target Center in Minneapolis, the members of Fleetwood Mac were feeling particularly soft and fuzzy—towards their fans, and especially towards Christine McVie, the songwriter/vocalist/keyboardist who rejoined the band for the first time on stage since 1998.

It was the first show of what feels like a reunion tour. Though the other four core band members—Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks—have toured together and even released an album since McVie’s departure, on Tuesday night they clearly felt whole again. The night was peppered with references to McVie’s return, from Buckingham’s awkward reference to the return of a “presence”; to Fleetwood’s happy declaration that “we have our songbird back”; to Nicks’s cheer of “Welcome back, Chris!” Only McVie—Christine’s ex-husband—kept stolidly silent, as is generally his wont.

The set list strongly spotlighted Christine McVie’s songs: after an opening rendition of “The Chain,” the house roared for McVie’s “You Make Loving Fun.” 1975′s “Say You Love Me” also found its way into the setlist, as well as the Christine-McVie-led 80s hits “Everywhere” and “Little Lies.” McVie was even given the honor of closing the night, taking a grand piano to sing her signature “Songbird.”

Though Buckingham seemed as glad as anyone to have Christine McVie back, there was no danger that his ego wouldn’t be given room to roam. A solo acoustic “Big Love” was a shout-y showpiece for the man Fleetwood referred to as having “the mentorship of the musical side of this band well in hand,” and an extended solo on “I’m So Afraid” demonstrated why Buckingham is a revered axeman. “Never Going Back,” unfortunately, expanded from its concise original version to a bloated extended take that had Nicks repeatedly leaving her mike and probably going to play Skyrim, or take a shot, or anything else many of the rest of us wished we could be doing too.

Buckingham and Nicks—who joined Fleetwood Mac together in 1974, as musical and romantic partners—seemed downright cozy, once strolling on stage arm in arm as Buckingham planted a kiss on his former lover’s forehead. Nicks brought plenty of her trademark gold-dust-woman touches (yes, of course the band played that song), including scarves, a top hat, a tambourine with streamers, and some twirling dance moves. Her songs, including “Landslide” and “Silver Springs,” were among the most straightforward of the evening, but she seemed comfortable and confident throughout. After the fact, she dedicated “Gypsy” to “my one and only husband” (Kim Anderson, to whom she was married for eight months in the early 80s), who she said was at the show.

Fleetwood, per usual, just looked ecstatic. Why wouldn’t he be? The band bearing his name—the “Mac” comes from John McVie, another early member—has lived at least nine lives since its advent in the late British Invasion, and it’s still going strong. Fleetwood Mac still play with unimpeachable musicality and the galloping force that’s always distinguished them from the bands played alongside them on soft-rock radio. Their instrumental chops are fully intact, and their voices—which were always more about expression than explosion—have weathered well.

Accompanied by two backup vocalists and two supporting multi-instrumentalists, the quintet stood on a large stage (none of the fancy lifts and second stages you find in younger acts’ arena shows, I guess because this show is “about the music” or something) with new-agey visuals projected on a screen behind them. Some of the visuals—notably an animation of Buckingham’s head that resembled both the Wizard of Oz and Max Headroom—were wincingly bad, but for the crowd featuring at least one man wearing a Canadian tuxedo embroidered with an Eagles logo, visual aesthetics clearly weren’t a priority.

There was much talk of the band’s future, which was nice to hear, whatever it means. Fortunately for fans of the band’s seminal discography, neither future hopes nor past regrets are keeping Fleetwood Mac from celebrating their long-awaited reunion right here in the present, embracing that musical chain that’s brought them together again.

Set list
“The Chain” (Rumours, 1977)
“You Make Loving Fun” (Rumours)
“Dreams” (Rumours)
“Second Hand News” (Rumours)
“Rhiannon” (Fleetwood Mac, 1975)
“Everywhere” (Tango in the Night, 1987)
“I Know I’m Not Wrong” (Tusk, 1979)
“Tusk” (Tusk)
“Sisters of the Moon” (Tusk)
“Say You Love Me” (Fleetwood Mac)
“Seven Wonders” (Tango in the Night)
“Big Love” (Tango in the Night)
“Landslide” (Fleetwood Mac)
“Never Going Back Again” (Rumours)
“Over My Head” (Fleetwood Mac)
“Gypsy” (Mirage, 1982)
“Little Lies” (Tango in the Night)
“Gold Dust Woman” (Rumours)
“I’m So Afraid” (Fleetwood Mac)
“Go Your Own Way” (Rumours)
Encore
“World Turning” (Fleetwood Mac)
“Don’t Stop” (Rumours)
“Silver Springs” (“Go Your Own Way” b-side, 1977)
“Songbird” (Rumours)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
Many thanks to Michele and Redtulip for the amazing coverage from setlist to photos to video your detailed work and time to share are appreciated, esp your links to Elle who kept Twitter lively and entertaining! Erin, your photos are amazing as always-thank you! Thanks to all who pulled reviews, vids, etc and shared here. I cannot recall who shared what but wanted to offfer my thanks.

For those who were there: did you have any trouble securing your place at stage? The stage area did not look too crowded to me and I'm curious if people hung back or if security restricted access (or if it was biz as usual).
Security wasn't really letting people up. I didn't look real closely, but it seemed like even the second row stayed in their spots and the security guard standing in the middle aisle wasn't letting people up. I'm not positive, but I think he was a venue guard and not with FM. There was a lot of room at the stage which was nice for those of us who were standing there, but it was kind of weird at the same time.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
“Never Going Back,” unfortunately, expanded from its concise original version to a bloated extended take that had Nicks repeatedly leaving her mike and probably going to play Skyrim, or take a shot, or anything else many of the rest of us wished we could be doing too.
Hilarity!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenois...nter_93014.php

Fleetwood Mac at Target Center, 9/30/14
By Erik Thompson Wed., Oct. 1 2014 at 8:00 AM
Categories: Last Night

FleetwoodMacTargetCenter
Photo By Tony Nelson
Fleetwood Mac

Target Center, Minneapolis
September 30, 2014

Nostalgia played a tremendous part in Fleetwood Mac's sell-out U.S. tour kickoff show at Target Center on Tuesday night. With the addition of Christine McVie -- joining the band for the first time since 1998 -- the Rumours-era lineup stood together reformed.

Clearly, this was personal, both for audience and for band. Redemption, forgiveness, and perseverance were on display throughout the night -- and that was just from the five original band members on stage. The emotional memories these hits triggered for an audience of 17,000-plus could span many chapters.

See also:
Slideshow: Fleetwood Mac at Target Center

After Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks took the lead on "The Chain," the band ceded the spotlight to McVie, who received a rousing ovation as soon as she started to sing "You Make Loving Fun." The 71-year-old's golden voice showed no sign of rust. "Hello again, Minneapolis," Nicks announced, before quickly adding, "We should say at the same time, welcome back, Chris!"

Fleetwood Mac have such a stellar back catalog that their opening string of songs would be saved for encores by most other bands. "Dreams," "Second Hand News," and "Rhiannon" got the show started strongly, and the quintet never looked back. The latter featured a triptych of curved screens filled with expansive natural vistas as well as images of Ophelia sinking in her doomed water.

FleetwoodMacTargetCenterMain.jpg
FleetwoodMacTargetCenter2.jpg
Photos By Tony Nelson
As with any tour kickoff show, there were imperfections and slight blunders along the way. But the band leaned on the strength of their songs and on their familiarity with each other throughout the performance, and effortlessly rose above any bumps they experienced along the way. Buckingham's vehement guitar work was on full display throughout the set, as he tore through solos that gave these breezy classic-rock numbers some added teeth. But ultimately, the night belonged to McVie, who added a blissful elegance to every song she sang. "This is a dream come true, and a chance that you don't get often in life," McVie gushed after thanking the band for welcoming her back, before leading them through the buoyant, Caribbean rhythms of "Everywhere."

"This is a band that continues to evolve, through good times and adversity," Buckingham admitted candidly. "And this is a poetic and profound new chapter that we've started now that we have this lady back with us." He did single out McVie twice during the performance, but strangely never mentioned her by name, referring to her instead as "this lady," and "this new element." But the natural camaraderie permeated the songs themselves, as the hard-charging beats of "Tusk," the mystical menace of "Sisters of the Moon," and the rollicking seductiveness of "Say You Love Me" all rang out vibrantly.

With Christine McVie in tow, the band had their entire catalog at their disposal, which also caused them to dust off some other choice nuggets from their past. Nicks sang an impassioned version of "Seven Wonders," a song which the group hasn't played together in ages, a choice inspired, no doubt, by the song featuring prominently on the recent season of the hit TV show American Horror Story (as Nicks herself did). And "Over My Head," the pop gem from their 1975 self-titled album (Christine called it "our White Album"), also found its way back into the setlist after a long absence, with McVie affectionately referring to her writing the song from the Malibu flat she was sharing with John at the time.

FleetwoodMacTargetCenter3.jpg
FleetwoodMacTargetCenter4.jpg
Photos By Tony Nelson
The three-song acoustic segment toward the end of the main set proved to be a tender highlight of the show, as Buckingham's "Big Love" and "Never Going Back Again" stylishly bookended a plaintive, heartwarming version of "Landslide," which Nicks simply owned, as her seasoned vocals joined with thousands of fans. The main set then ended with a flurry of radio anthems, as "Gypsy," "Little Lies," "Gold Dust Woman," and a triumphant "Go Your Own Way" all soared. Buckingham's plodding "I'm So Afraid" sat awkwardly in the middle of those hits, but his scorching guitar solo on the number made up for its tepid start. Nicks even changed into a stylish black top hat for "Go Your Own Way," so you knew that she and the band meant business on that rousing set closer.

For the encore, John, Christine, and Mick came out together, with Fleetwood dancing a gig, reveling in the ovation from the crowd, while Nicks and Buckingham came out arm in arm. That sense of conviviality carried over into a dynamic run through of "World Turning," which featured dramatic, neon-drenched overhead images of cityscapes on the big screens at the back of the stage. Fleetwood also banged out a wild drum solo during the breakdown of the track (seriously, who but Fleetwood Mac has the audacity to pull off a drum solo during the freaking encore?!). The rest of the band returned to finish off the song, before Mick introduced everyone, calling Buckingham "the visionary behind the band and a brilliant guitar player," while Nicks is "Fleetwood Mac's eternal romantic," and Christine "makes us complete once again -- our songbird has returned," and John is "the backbone of the band and my partner in crime."

The eternally optimistic pulse of "Don't Stop" got the crowd dancing and singing along, with Christine peppering the number with sprightly Ragtime rolls on her keys. The first encore ended with Nicks's somber, wistful ode, "Silver Springs," but Christine had one more gem left. She returned to the keys and sang a fragile, affectionate version of "Songbird," joined by Buckingham's muted, understated guitar. It was a real heartwarming moment in a night full of them, with Christine receiving hugs from the rest of the band after she finished the number. The band took a group bow and soaked in the adoration of the audience. "We are all the dreamcatchers here, and we got our dream girl back," Nicks exclaimed. And indeed, the show was just like a dream come true for so many of us.

FleetwoodMacTargetCenter5.jpg
Photo By Tony Nelson
Critic's Notebook:

Personal Bias: I became a fan of Fleetwood Mac simply because for many years that was the only thing my three older sisters would listen to.

The Crowd: A dedicated, vocal bunch who were thrilled to have the full band back together again.

Random Notebook Dump: While the band played "Everywhere," I couldn't help but think that Vampire Weekend owes their entire career to that song.

Setlist:

The Chain

You Make Loving Fun

Dreams

Second Hand News

Rhiannon

Everywhere

I Know I'm Not Wrong

Tusk

Sisters Of The Moon

Say You Love Me

Seven Wonders

Big Love

Landslide

Never Going Back Again

Over My Head

Gypsy

Little Lies

Gold Dust Woman

I'm So Afraid

Go Your Own Way

-- First Encore --

World Turning

Don't Stop

Silver Springs

-- Second Encore --

Song Bird

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sisters of the Moon

The last few will be posted in a few hours when I get back.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Songbird. Warning: I couldn't see Chris from my spot.

oh wow!! how sweet. too bad nobody at the stage could see Christine. but still so emotional.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

They sound seriously amazing! Christine is so important to the sound of the band and it is great to have her back. I think it's given a huge boost to the other members of the group as well. I LOVE that they are doing Seven Wonders and Little Lies! I really really really hope they decide to record one of their shows for a DVD/Blu-ray/CD.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post photos/vids and reviews, it really is appreciated

It is so great to see Christine back, as a massive fan of TITN it was wonderful to see and hear Everywhere and Little Lies - not sure about Seven Wonders but maybe because I've always loved the studio version so much (it was the song that made me discover them as a teenager).

Over My Head and Gypsy I would swap for Hold Me and Sara but otherwise I'm liking the set list. You Make Loving Fun, my favourite Christine song sounded amazing!

Thank you again.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Chain into You Make Loving Fun

Love, love how they go from "The Chain" directly into "You Make Loving Fun" and how the crowd erupts when Christine starts to sing.. thanks to all who captured the videos.. appreciate it.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
When the loving starts and the lights go down ...
SEVEN WONDERS sounds great. Stevie is smiling and peppy. You guys, she is definitely saying Aaron or Era. There's that vowel sound. She is not saying Sara or Terra. There's no consonant in front. Stevie ends the song happily. Says, "Thank you, American Horror Story."
Michele
I noticed that too. I kept thinking why is she singing my name? Ha!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To the people commenting on that Rolling Stone article that they want Stand Back in the setlist...
Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
To the people commenting on that Rolling Stone article that they want Stand Back in the setlist...
There's no way it should be in the setlist now. Stevie performs it beautifully but it's not a FM song and you now have three singers again so it would make its inclusion even more wrong I think.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ks-tour-review

Fleetwood Mac is back: Christine McVie sings again as the tour starts anew
Though Stevie Nicks and the band are older, they opened their first reunited show in 16 years with the hallmark brilliance for playing off each others’ strengths

This is so good. love the line about his pants.

And they sound SO GOOD!

I'm super stoked for next week!
"It was, because we demanded it from the very beginning. You can't be a wimp, and then one or two years later decide not to be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp, once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never be that. You have to be strong, tough, smart, and know who you are. So, people will get that. Then, they're always going to be great to you. Then, they listen to you; they listen to your songs. They give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere."