User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I loooooove Thrown Down. It's my favorite song of hers from this century. I also really liked Goodbye Baby.

I think it's that a lot of her songs were about her intense love affairs and all that stuff which she hasn't had in a long time so she can't write that same way anymore. I remember on one interview for the EP she commented how she can't write a song like Without You ever again because she doesn't know what it's like to be in love like that anymore.
But she still has so many old poems she could dig out so I don't think it's a matter of not having songs. And you made a good point, I feel like she could've written some great stuff after her mother died because it was such a huge loss for her.
and, frankly, the Lindsey-produced version is better than the other (I'm blanking but think it was produced by Sheryl Crow)
Old 12-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
And I'm not speaking for all SN fans but the ones that are bitter about FM are just the ones who think Stevie can do no wrong and so they think everyone else is the bad guy.
yeah maybe that's it - that's how it certainly comes across with some people.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It's like her starting a 100m race with her competitors already 20 metres ahead of her; 'I've sprained my ankle', 'I didn't sleep well last night', 'I have a stomach bug', 'It's a stupid race anyway- its not worth winning'...etc
This reminded me of Tonya Harding putting her skated foot up on the table and crying that the lace was broken.

Michele
Old 12-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
But, again, she said that it wouldn't sell, not that it wouldn't be good.
nope, she said that it wouldn't be good. that they can never recapture the magic of their heyday anymore. plus that it wouldn't sell so what's the point.

Quote:
I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised by possible attendances. Lindsey and Chris couldn't each draw big crowds solo as they were never big names in the way Stevie was. However, they won't be playing solo and Fleetwood Mac as a brand carries a lot of weight. Do we really think the majority of people that come to FM shows are big fans that own most of the albums? (and Stevie Nicks albums?)...of course they aren't. The majority of the people that see gigs are casual fans that own a couple of albums at most and in many cases just have a Greatest Hits disc.
exactly. Fleetwood Mac name carries a lot more weight than any of their individual names. many people go see Fleetwood Mac because they want to put that notch on their belt, like you wanna see a Beatle live, or the Stones, or the Who, or Lynyrd Skynyrd (now there's a band that's completely different than in their heyday!), or Beach Boys, etc - while they are still around. they might know a few best known hits and that''s it. and if they own FM Greatest Hits - almost 80% of the songs there are Christine's, so they'll get that!

now individually, nobody knows who Lindsey Buckingham is, or Christine McVie, or John McVie. few people might know who Mick Fleetwood is, mostly because his name is so close to the band name. and many know who Stevie Nicks is. so it's very possible that if they tour as Fleetwood Mac in arenas, while the shows will be sold out because of Fleetwood Mac name, there will be enough people who will be disappointed when they realize that Nicks is not there. but Beach Boys tour large venues all the time, while at the same time Brian Wilson tours small theaters solo. it would not be unusual.

that said, i really hope if the FM 4 tour, that they'll choose to tour intimate venues, which would assure they are not obligated to do all the hits but they can do tons of new stuff instead.

bottom line: if they tour under Fleetwood Mac name, they will be selling out whatever they want. if they tour under any other name, nobody will know who that is, but that will give them complete artistic freedom. and it would be fantastic to see that show in intimate venues, even if the prices are higher than arena prices there - since unlike in arenas, there are no bad seats in theaters and clubs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 12-10-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Old 12-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But even worse IMHO, she is not honest with her fans. Does anyone really believe the reason she does not want to do the album is because it might not be good?
Baloney. She didn't say that. She said it wasn't fun to record with FM, she said it took too long, and she said (paraphrased) that no one would buy it anyhow. She hasn't said a word about QUALITY.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Because I don't like her, and think she's a ridiculous person. She's taken on this power trip now, that "I'll show them who's the boss". For the record, I used to like her, but her songwriting talent hits the skids decades ago, and her nasally, four note singing range leaves me flat, and uninspired.

The icing on the cake is that they're getting old, and someone IS going to die. Then, it's going to be too late for one last album. And guess who's fault that is? Old goat breath.

Any more questions?
Since you feel that way - why hold any animosity towards her for not doing a FM album? There's nothing stopping the rest of the band from going on without her. You of all people should be *cheering* the fact that she's not interested in an album.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
II think she possibly could come up with the goods- its probably just daunting for her. Chris has already brought at least 6 songs to the table and Lindsey has a big bunch. It's like her starting a 100m race with her competitors already 20 metres ahead of her; 'I've sprained my ankle', 'I didn't sleep well last night', 'I have a stomach bug', 'It's a stupid race anyway- its not worth winning'...etc
that sounds like a perfect metaphor, since it does seem like all different rotating reasons she keeps bringing up are just made up excuses to cover something else.

recording takes a year? either she's stuck in some weird time warp, or she's just making stuff up. i don't want Lindsey as a producer? he proposed tons of others (including Dave Stewart!), FM even started recording with Froom, she still refused. the list goes on.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
nope, she said that it wouldn't be good.
Prove it. Find the quote and share it here.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Prove it. Find the quote and share it here.
wow that tone is not very nice.

that most recent interview she gave is somewhere in SN forum. or just google it, and it will come up.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
recording takes a year? either she's stuck in some weird time warp, or she's just making stuff up.
SYW was started in 2002, and released in 2003. That's a year.

Tango took 16 months - November 1985 to March 1987.

Tusk is well documented at 18 months.

Rumours took a large chunk of 1976, much of it due to mixing. And mixing. And mixing.

I think she's spot-on when she says FM spends a year to record an album.

As a fan, I'd say the time is worth it - the results are typically stellar. As a band member, I'd say we need a young producer to take the reins and keep us focused and working, and not over-manipulating the material.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
wow that tone is not very nice.
Wasn't meant to be un-nice, but yeah, it is abrupt.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Rumours took a large chunk of 1976, much of it due to mixing. And mixing. And mixing.

I think she's spot-on when she says FM spends a year to record an album.

As a fan, I'd say the time is worth it - the results are typically stellar. As a band member, I'd say we need a young producer to take the reins and keep us focused and working, and not over-manipulating the material.
Even if it does end up taking a year, Stevie does not actually have to be there locked up in that studio every single day for the entire year. But the way she talks about it, you'd think she would.

I think one time an interviewer mentioned Stevie's complaints about Tusk to Lindsey and he said something about how that surprised him because she only came to the studio around 3 days a week for her songs. I can't remember the exact quote or where it was from, but it was something like that.

And especially now with technology, she really doesn't need to physically be there all that much.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Since you feel that way - why hold any animosity towards her for not doing a FM album? There's nothing stopping the rest of the band from going on without her. You of all people should be *cheering* the fact that she's not interested in an album.
Nothing would make me happier than for her to go her own way, by either her own choice, or them showing her the door.
But she is keeping them from moving forward, and that's just plain selfish of her.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

right, time warp. way in the past. even SYW was recorded on reels.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Nothing would make me happier than for her to go her own way, by either her own choice, or them showing her the door.
But she is keeping them from moving forward, and that's just plain selfish of her.
Mick could roll her out in a wheelbarrow .LOL.

Sorry I stole that from your sig.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016