User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Rock A Little is my least favorite studio album. However, I would be thrilled to have a deluxe edition. Some of the demos or songs that never made it to the album are better than the album tracks IMHO. I love the RAL version of Running through the garden.
Oh please keep Sheryl Crow far away from any Stevie studio album. She destroyed TISRL IMHO. Some great songs on the album but so many lack creativity and a musical punch. The music is so watered down. The first several tracks on the album have the exact same beat. I think a better producer could have added some flavor. That album was a lost opportunity IMHO.
Totally agree about Sheryl. She stripped all that is good away from Stevie's music on TISL.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Totally agree about Sheryl. She stripped all that is good away from Stevie's music on TISL.
Wow, its nice to have someone agree with me. I thought I was going to be flamed for that comment. Rewind time: Stevie's album was held up for years. Stevie loved TLC's "Unpretty" and thought the track had some Fleetwood Mac sound. If you remember she had recorded with TLC's producer but then thought the album was too funky and everything was scrapped and she brought in Sheryl. Its the blandest music I have ever heard.
No clever drumming, guitar licks, or great bridges. There are some great songs but half the album is not worth listening to. I like Trouble in Shangri-La, Love Is, and Bombay Sapphires. Planets of the Universe and Sorcerer are good but the songs really could have used a (good) producer. They are safe and arranged just like the demo. They could really have exploded with some creativity. IMHO Street Angel is a much superior album. Stevie's vocals had range and each song is different sounding which is something you cant say about Trouble In Shangri-La. I also think Trouble in Shangri-La has some of the worst songs Stevie has ever recorded like Everyday, That made me stronger, Its only love (Sheryl's song), Love Changes, and I Miss You.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-10-2017 at 08:32 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
John Shanks should of produced TISL. He did the best job by far. The title track is the only track that holds up over the years. She ruined Candlebright with the mandolin.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
John Shanks should of produced TISL. He did the best job by far. The title track is the only track that holds up over the years. She ruined Candlebright with the mandolin.
Yes the title track is epic. Also, her vocals on Its Only Love equal pure perfection.

Last edited by pryderi; 11-10-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie liked Sheryl but what dreary production! And some of the flattest vocals of all time. Candlebright reduced to a braying drone. Sorcerer marred by amateur guitar hammering. Planets recorded at dull basso profundo range. Dreck like Everyday and That Made me Stronger. Too far from Texas a grating bawling match. Only title track, I Miss You, Fall from Grace and Love Is are bearable...
Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well John Shanks made Planets work as a rocker and he made a fall From Grace even thought was crammed with words.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think TISL was a masterpiece and still do. Stevie's falsetto in "Sorcerer," was beautiful. The title track is epic. FFG amazing. I have always loved this album. I love the extended rock version of POTU
Old 11-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Planets too but, like some her SYW tracks, the vocal seems to have been recorded at a half octave too low. I think there were some problems handling her post-Dance voice and the results of the vocal coaching that kept her voice in her chest. Really shows on some songs.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love Planets too but, like some her SYW tracks, the vocal seems to have been recorded at a half octave too low. I think there were some problems handling her post-Dance voice and the results of the vocal coaching that kept her voice in her chest. Really shows on some songs.
I think her vocals during the "Time Space" era was the low point in her vocals. Her vibrato on that tour barely existed and no doubt was because of the Klonopin. I know everybody is entitled to their opinion, but IMO TISA was a return to greatness. Reviews were great and I loved every track. I think Sheryl did a great job producing the tracks she produced.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I loved the dance remix of Planets. That was out of this world and I believe went to #1 on the Dance charts. Incredible memories of this song Memorial Day 2001 in the largest dance club on South Beach. It was truly a moment in time. Will never forget the "YOU WONT FORGET YOU WONT FORGET" lines Little did we know the world was going to change forever in just a few months. I just wish the album version had 1/1000000 of the intensity of the Dance version
I find her vocals on TISL flat and it almost seems she is bored to death
Old 11-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep I agree a mix of old and new songs would be best at this stage of both her life and her career. A new current producer with a lead single as a duet with current hit artist would put her back on the map or give her the best chance. This would bookend her beginning a la Tom Petty. In fact, with all the Adam Levine or Harry Styles love they have for her - I am surprised they haven't recorded a song with her. She would be great on What Lovers Do
Old 11-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the title song on TISL, and like Sheryl's work on Sorcerer and Candlebright. I also like Fall From Grace. Love the song Love Is but the vocals are too harsh (earlier versions were better) especially the "corner of her MOOOOOOOUTH" bit. Not a fan of the Macy Gray bit on Bombay Sapphires. Like I Miss You and I still want to know who she is writing about in that song when she says "fame as only he could explain it to me". Makes me think it's Don, but who knows.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 11-12-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

While I love TISL, I don't care for the Crow produced songs either. Sorcerer is a great song lyrically, and very much Stevie, but Crow watered it down big time.

My biggest gripe with TISL is that Planet's wasn't the "full" version. That version is the reason she hit #1 on the "dance mix" charts. (no idea what that chart is called!)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I still want to know who she is writing about in that song [I Miss You] when she says "fame as only he could explain it to me". Makes me think it's Don, but who knows.
I personally think it may be her Grandfather. Wasn't he a relatively successful country singer?
To hear you
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I personally think it may be her Grandfather. Wasn't he a relatively successful country singer?
No, Stevie's grandfather was a very unsuccessful Musician.
He played in tiny bars and what not. He never had a record or anything like that.