User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by HomerMcvie
I love country (real country-NOT Shania/Garth), so maybe that's part of it. But Winds of Change, or Dreamin' the Dream? Those are great songs,and not country influenced, IMO.
Winds of Change is ok, nothing great though. I just don't like her voice. I think she over-does it with the vamping, and I happen to like a lot of singers who vamp. I just don't care for her songs on Time.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

My favorites are:

Fleetwood Mac: This goes to Christine. I love "Over My Head", "Say You Love Me", and "sugar Daddy". And I love their harmonies together.

Rumours: This IS a tough one, so I'll just say it's a 3 way tie!

Tusk:This is definitely Stevie's moment. Her vocals, songs, and on tour performances shine!

Mirage: Another for Christine, although I love Stevie's contributions too. The tour was awesome!

Tango: This one I love Lindsey's songs the best. The title track and "Big Love" are the best.

Behind The Mask: I like Billy's songs the most, "Hard Feelings" and "In the Back of My Mind" do it for me. Christine's title song is really good though.

Say You Will: Because I tend to get into Stevie's music more, this goes to her, but I really believe this is her strongest group of songs on a Fleetwood Mac album since "Tusk". But I do love "Murrow" and "Say Goodbye".

Joseph
Old 01-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Say You Will: Stevie (Lyrically, this album has Lindsey's best Fleetwood Mac contributions, but Stevie wins out here too, because of the heart, soul, maturity, feistiness, and gentleness variously conveyed across her songs. She shows the most emotional range, and thus scores the most captivating moments on the album.)
Lindsey conveyed more emotion on Say Goodbye and Red Rover than all of Stevie's songs combined, IMO.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

White Album: Stevie, three of her best tunes.

Rumours: Lindsey. NGBA and SHN really do it for me.

Tusk: I have to say that it's a tie between Lindsey and Stevie. Both of their songs are just phenomenal. Christine really missed it with this album, IMO.

Mirage: Stevie. I'm not a fan of this album in general.

Tango: Lindsey and Christine were both superb, not one clunker from each. However, Lindsey wins just because of the title track, Big Love, and Caroline. Stevie's contributions are mind-numbingly awful and quite embarassing.

BTM: Christine, hands down. The title cut is a classic, IMO. Once again, Stevie wasn't in top form, but she was much better than on Tango.

Time: Christine. Nights In Estoril is perfection. Bekka should stick to singing Folger's commercials.

The Dance: Stevie is phenomenal.

Say You Will: Lindsey. Every song is a work of brilliance. Stevie loses just because Thrown Down is unbearable.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow...this is harder than it looks.

Fleetwood Mac - Stevie only had 2 songs where she sang lead (even if she did write "Crystal"), and I'm not crazy about the studio version of "Rhiannon." Out of Christine's songs, "Sugar Daddy" was a kind of a turkey...overall, I think she's done better...I love "Over My Head," though. So, I suppose I'll have to go with Lindsey for this one. I love "Blue Letter," and "I'm So Afraid," especially..."World Turning" (w/Christine) is awesome, too. I think Christine has to get an honorable mention here, though.

Rumours - I really like all of Lindsey's songs here...it's kind of a toss-up between him and Stevie, I think...although, if you include "Silver Springs"...I'd definitely have to give it to her. I dunno...this one is a tie, I think.

Tusk - Lindsey, definitely...with Stevie getting an honorable mention.

Tango in the Night - this one's easier...since Stevie's songs suck (to be blunt) compared to Lindsey's and Christine's. I think it goes to Lindsey, though, with Christine getting the honorable mention.

The Dance - Stevie definitely wins this one. I love the versions of "Rhiannon" and "Landslide" on this one better than the studio versions...and then, there's "Silver Springs"

Say You Will - Lindsey again. His songs are brilliant on this one (and on "Tusk" and "Tango," too).
Old 01-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Lindsey conveyed more emotion on Say Goodbye and Red Rover than all of Stevie's songs combined, IMO.
You're just looking to get me in trouble here, aren't ya?

I'll give you that "Say Goodbye" is exceptional... lyrically one of Lindsey's all-time best.
"Red Rover" is good, but it doesn't bowl me over in any major way.

I don't dislike it, but it doesn't knock my socks off either.

When I don't have a lot of time and I just pop 'Say You Will' in to hear a few songs, I play "Murrow," "Miranda" and "Bleed To Love Her," and the rest end up being Stevie's songs... and that's how I gauge who has the "best" songs on an album. The ones I come back to most, or find myself most moved by, hours later.
Quote:
Stevie loses just because Thrown Down is unbearable.
You seem to really enjoy the "Wall Of Sound" version, so it surprises me that you'd hold your dislike of the album version against her in your overall judgement of her 'SYW' contributions.
But then I guess one bad apple can spoil the whole bushel, if the apple is that unappealing to you!

I tell ya, Christopher sure knows how to get passionate discussions going with his thread topics!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by markolas
So, I suppose I'll have to go with Lindsey for this one. I love "Blue Letter," and "I'm So Afraid," especially..."World Turning" (w/Christine) is awesome, too.
Just wanted to point out that Lindsey didn't write "Blue Letter."
Terrific song though!

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 01-12-2004 at 11:44 PM..
Old 01-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

I have to disagree with the comment Dissention. Red Rover is an overrated piece of , well, let's just say it dosent do anything for me at all.
I will say that "say goodbye" is a beautiful song, and done live, it was a welcome addition to their set.

Joseph
Old 01-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Junior Ledgie

Wink

CHRISTINE
CHRISTINE
CHRISTINE
CHRISTINE
CHRISTINE
CHRISTINE
Old 01-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Now, nobody better kick me! I have two ties!

All blues albums: I have yet to listen to them.
Fleetwood Mac: Christine
Rumours: Stevie
Tusk: Lindsey
Mirage: Lindsey/Christine
TITN: Lindsey/Christine
BTM: Christine
Time: See "all blues albums"
The Dance: Lindsey
SYW: Lindsey

God bless!

(referring to the "Death Star" laser)
Dr. Evil- "...I thought we'd name it in his honor: The Alan Parsons Project."
Scott- "The Alan Parsons Project was a progressive rock band from 1982. Why don't you just name it Operation Wang Chung?"
Old 01-13-2004, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

white album: stevie (on "rhiannon" alone... honestly, where would the band be if that song was never recorded)

rumours: lindsey

tusk: stevie (sisters of the moon is my fave FM song of all time)

mirage: stevie/christine (tie; i love all stevie's tunes but christine's hold me is such a classic i couldn't neglect her)

tango: LINDSEY. <3333

the dance: stevie. silver springs alone clinches this for her. and i know it's originally on rumours but whatebba.

say you will: so....freaking.... difficult.... i can't do it! i can't choose! so lindsey and stevie tie.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I happen to think "When The Sun Goes Down" is one of the better tracks on Behind The Mask...then again, I LIKE Zydeco music...plus, the vocal harmonies on it are amazing.
I don't remember much about that album. I don't even have it on CD, and I don't know where the tape is. But I do recall that "When the Sun Goes Down" was one of the standout songs for me. I love that Louisiana feel. To me the song is catchy as hell. Sure the lyrics are banal, but they fit with genre.

I also recall that I kinda dug "Love Is Dangerous." But isn't that riff a rippoff of the "Johnny Stew" riff? I get the sense those guys were listening to old Fleetwood Mac and Lindsey's stuff to "get" the sound. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Hey, Lindsey and Stevie went through all the Peter Green and other Fleetwood Mac albums to get familiar with the band.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Amen, sista!
Old 01-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Somajoseph
I have to disagree with the comment Dissention. Red Rover is an overrated piece of , well, let's just say it dosent do anything for me at all.
I will say that "say goodbye" is a beautiful song, and done live, it was a welcome addition to their set.

Joseph
I used to feel the same way about Red Rover, but then I had an epiphany and was suddenly enlightened at just how fantastic and amzing it is.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

WHITE ALBUM: CHRISTINE
SAY YOU LOVE ME, WARM WAYS, OVER MY HEAD

RUMOURS: LINDSEY
GO YOUR OWN WAY, SECOND HAND NEWS, NEVER GOIN BACK

TUSK: STEVIE
SARA, SISTERS OF THE MOON, ANGEL

LIVE: LINDSEY
MONDAY MORNING, I'M SO AFRAID, OH WELL

MIRAGE: LINDSEY & CHRISTINE
OH DIANE, BOOK OF LOVE, EYES OF THE WORLD, LOVE IN STORE, HOLD ME, ONLY OVER YOU

TANGO IN THE NIGHT - LINDSEY
BIG LOVE, TANGO IN THE NIGHT, YOU & I PART II

THE DANCE - LINDSEY
BLEED TO LOVE HER, I'M SO AFRAID, BIG LOVE

SAY YOU WILL - LINDSEY
BLEED TO LOVE HER, STEAL YOUR HEART AWAY, SAY GOODBYE
Old 01-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
You seem to really enjoy the "Wall Of Sound" version, so it surprises me that you'd hold your dislike of the album version against her in your overall judgement of her 'SYW' contributions.
But then I guess one bad apple can spoil the whole bushel, if the apple is that unappealing to you!
Let's settle the "Thrown Down Affair" right now!

1. I love the lyrics to the song.

2. I feel that the WOS version has incredibly passionate vocals from Stevie, and ESPECIALLY from Lindsey. He is amazing on that song.

3. I don't like the album vocal one bit. The emotion seems forced (which is the very first Stevie song to ever seem that way to me), it's flat and monotonal, and the music doesn't complement her voice very well.

4. The album version is missing the "passionate Lindsey" and would have greatly benefitted from having him go off like on the WOS version.

5. The WOS version just seemed to have a completely new dimension to the song than the album version. It was two ex-lovers singing to each to each other and you could hear the heartache. That's completely missing from the album version.

6. While the WOS version doesn't have the most fantastic music, the uptempo quality of it is much better suited for the song. Because Stevie's voice is so unappelaing to me on the album version because of her flat and monotonous delivery, the slow and plodding music of that version really makes it sink, IMO.

7. The album version seems VERY rushed, like there was more to the song but it was edited due to time.

8. Finally, the climax of the album version doesn't pay off at all. Those final two lyrics should have been hammered home, but instead, they were just...sung.

Hope this clarifies my lack of Thrown Down love.