User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tahoe Tribune Interview with Dave Mason

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/art...MENT/112070082

He's jammed with Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison and Eric Clapton, co-created the classic rock band Traffic, been a member of Fleetwood Mac and performed a number of hits of his own in the 1960s and '70s. But don't call Dave Mason a rock nostalgia act.

After more than 40 years in the music business, this old rocker is going stronger than ever.

"I don't really think about it unless someone brings it up," Mason said of his more than four decades in the business. "It's just what I do. I love to play, and I consider myself at my peak at this point."

Dave Mason plays the South Shore Room at Harrah's Lake Tahoe on Saturday, Dec. 8 -- his third trip to Tahoe in three years.

"It's great at Tahoe, and we're fortunate to have an open standing invitation to come back whenever we want," said Mason, who is quite familiar with the area -- he lived in Alpine Meadows for three years in the 1990s. "The people here are very good to us."

The native of Worcester, England, is probably best known as co-founder of the group Traffic in 1967; his best known song being "Feelin' Alright," recorded in 1968 and covered by dozens of artists, including Joe Cocker, who had a major hit with it in 1969. For Traffic, Mason also wrote "Hole in my Shoe," which became a classic in its own right. "We Just Disagree," Mason's own 1977 solo hit, has become a staple of oldies and adult contemporary radio playlists. You also probably remember "Let It Flow," "Show Me Some Affection" and "Something from the Heart."

Mason has been there for many of the great moments in rock history. It wasn't long after Hendrix had launched his career in England in 1967 that Hendrix first heard the song "All Along the Watchtower," by John Wesley Harding, at a party Mason invited him to.

"Jimi really liked the song, so a couple of weeks later he, and Mitch Mitchell went down to Olympic Studios in South West London and cut the record," Mason said. "I played the acoustic guitar. Hendrix was big in England at the time, but I'm not sure if he was really known in the U.S."

The song appeared on the "Electric Ladyland" album in September 1968, and a legend was born in the U.S.

It is indeed impossible to write the history of rock 'n' roll without a lengthy chapter on Mason. And at 63, his touring schedule is as lengthy as ever.

"Traveling is a pain, but that's what I get paid for," the Santa Barbara resident said. "I get paid to leave the house."

Mason also gets a charge out of playing with his bandmates in the Dave Mason Band.

"They are a great bunch of guys and great players," he said. "It's important to keep the band together, so that's one of the reasons we tour so much."

Mason alternated between a solo career and the band until 1974, when Traffic officially disbanded.

"Traffic was created through personalities, and it broke up over personalities." Mason said. "Even after I left, Traffic continued to exist more as a ghost than a band. I mean, they could always get musicians together at short notice to record or tour. Without some permanence or stability behind a group, the potential becomes rather limited."

Mason has never really stopped performing since. After Traffic, Mason pursued a successful solo career. In the 1970s he toured and recorded with guitarist Jim Kreuger, keyboardist Mike Finnigan, bassist Gerald Johnson and drummer Rick Jaeger. Mason had his biggest hit in 1977 with "We Just Disagree," which Krueger wrote. Mason's 1980 single "Save Me" was notable for a duet with Michael Jackson.

Mason was also, believe it or not, once a member of Fleetwood Mac -- during which time the band released the album "Time," in 1995.

These days he's also involved with his own guitar company, RKS Guitar, is involved in developing a TV series, and has acting roles in the films "Johnny Postal," for which he also provides some of the music, and "Black Dogs."

"I don't think that much about the past; I'm busier than ever," Mason said. "Music has been very good to me; given me a chance to express myself. I never could have handled working a 9-to-5 job."
Old 12-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
These days he's also involved with his own guitar company, RKS Guitar, is involved in developing a TV series, and has acting roles in the films "Johnny Postal," for which he also provides some of the music, and "Black Dogs."
Thanks for posting, hadn't seen this, hmm, haven't heard of either "Johnny Postal" or "Black Dogs" & I can't find anything about them @ imdb.com

Anyone know anything further about them?

I had heard of the RKS guitars thing, I saw the instructional DVD video that's posted at YouTube (which I think was related to this in some way) and am looking forward to it's release (whenever that is, thought it would've been by now).

Didn't know about the "TV series development involvement" though, anyone have any further info on this?

John
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It wasn't long after Hendrix had launched his career in England in 1967 that Hendrix first heard the song "All Along the Watchtower," by Jihn Wesley Harding
An impressive achievement, as John Wesley Harding was only 2 years old at the time.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It wasn't long after Hendrix had launched his career in England in 1967 that Hendrix first heard the song "All Along the Watchtower," by John Wesley Harding, at a party Mason invited him to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
An impressive achievement, as John Wesley Harding was only 2 years old at the time.
Yeah, it was on his album titled Bob Dylan.

{rim shot}

Amazing that a song written by a 19th century gunslinger would still be popular 100+ years later.

{rim shot}

"Watchtower"? I hardly knew her?

{rim shot}

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week; don't forget to tip your servers.