User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default John Fogerty and Billy Burnette

John Fogerty at the Louisville Palace: A veteran artist like Fogerty could have fashioned a concert spectacle just around the better-known hits he rapidly crafted from 1968 to 1971 as headmaster of Creedence Clearwater Revival. But what made this tireless two-hour performance so engaging was how complete a portrait it painted of Fogerty's rich career. Those who savor obvious hits were rewarded with Sweet Hitch Hiker, in which Fogerty tore into upper vocal registers with a command that was stunningly youthful for an artist now 62, and Green River, in which a quartet of guitarists that included ex-Fleetwood Mac picker Billy Burnette nicely re-created Creedence's sterling swamp-rock feel. But more unexpected ghosts from the past surfaced in a crackling version of the rock staple Good Golly Miss Molly, which Fogerty first appropriated for Creedence in 1968, and Ramble Tamble, the leadoff rave-up from the 1970 album Cosmo's Factory. The latter filled the Palace with layers of psychedelic twang and the feverish drive of drummer Kenny Aronoff. From the present came a solo version of 2004's DŽjˆ Vu (All Over Again), which was presented as a sobering anti-war meditation, and nine songs from Fogerty's new album Revival that shifted from the hopeful (the Impressions-style show-opener River Is Waiting) to the punkishly political (the two-minute rant I Can't Take It No More). Cool as the hits sounded, the new music revealed a topical might that pushed Fogerty's ageless performance spirit that much harder.

http://www.kentucky.com/118/story/258662.html