User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
What always bothered me until the reissue was how a lot of the printed lyrics didn't match up with what was actually released. Both "Gypsy" and "Straight Back" had totally different lyrics, so for years I knew there were different versions. It's nice to finally hear what was originally intended to be on the record until all the cuts and editing happened.
I remember reading the lyrics in the Mirage CD booklet of Gypsy and thinking "when do they sing 'she was just a wish' at the end". I even played it a few times to see if it was there way in the background. It wasn't until the version on The Chain, after I had completely forgotten reading it, that I heard it and thought "Oh my God, it really is there, it was just cut out!!!"
Old 10-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I bought the Mirage re-release entirely for "If You Were My Love" and "Smile At You". Disappointed that the latter wasn't the great infamous angry version, but I do love having the former. Wish they hadn't snipped the outro but it's not a huge deal.

"Straight Back" sounds much more interesting now, love that.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
I bought the Mirage re-release entirely for "If You Were My Love" and "Smile At You". Disappointed that the latter wasn't the great infamous angry version, but I do love having the former. Wish they hadn't snipped the outro but it's not a huge deal.
I concur.

Looking at the total running time, it's just over 79 minutes for the whole CD. The better version of Smile At You wouldn't have fit unless something else was snipped, since it runs a minute longer than the one we got.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The songs she has on this album are stellar. Sisters, IFWML, Smile, that's alright make me a fanatic again
Old 10-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The version of "Smile At You" that has been included does fade out as Stevie's still in full-swing vocally (ie before the song has completed), which means there could have been another minute or so that has been edited out. I don't think the respective running times had anything to do with one version being chosen over another - it most probably came down to personal taste, whether it was Ken's, Stevie's or another's decision.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:10 AM
deribish
This message has been deleted by deribish.