The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I work at a nursing home right now. I hope to be a teacher some day.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone
Deanna, I always wanted to work in radio (lifelong radio junkie—especially public radio—from a family of radio junkies) even though I have a friend who works in public radio, and she thinks my envy is unwarranted.
Unwarranted!?! I LOVE working in public radio - if something bad happens and it's no more - I will, under no circumstances, work in commercial radio..I've become a snob. And I worked in commercial radio for a bit and hated it with every fiber of my being.

Where does your friend in public radio work - it's a small world public radio! But some stations are better than others in terms of the people and practices, I've just been very very lucky to work at three top-notch (ok 2 top-notch, 1 just mid-notch) public radio stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt
That is awesome! I didn't know that.
Yep - I've been working in public radio for about 5 years now - started as a student reporter in college and then Interned at NPR in DC - then started at member stations. I LOVE it - and once 3pm hits here time flies - I do 4 hours of ATC then I local host Fresh Air as well - 'tis a ton of fun!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also awesome. I love nurses with every fiber of my being. I learned during my partner's illness that they are the ones who truly provide the care, not to mention emotional support to patient and loved ones.

You, sir, are a very wise man. That's why I became a nurse. No offense to doctors (hi Brad!) because without them & their knowledge I couldn't do my job. BUT - too many of them forget that without nurses, they couldn't do their jobs either. And too many focus on treating the ailment instead of treating the patient. The bond I've formed with patients is amazing.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
You, sir, are a very wise man. That's why I became a nurse. No offense to doctors (hi Brad!) because without them & their knowledge I couldn't do my job. BUT - too many of them forget that without nurses, they couldn't do their jobs either. And too many focus on treating the ailment instead of treating the patient. The bond I've formed with patients is amazing.
my aunt is a nurse and she says the same thing. it's a very rewarding job, even if it's terribly sad sometimes too. I can remember going to lunch with several of her elderly patients (she's a home-health nursing supervisor) that she had formed close bonds with...they were always so grateful and nice and welcoming.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

My job is kind of hard to describe, but basically I advocate on AIDS funding and legislative issues and I organize people to be their own advocates. I'm starting to broaden, though, and advocate on health programs like Medicaid that help people beyond those living with HIV/AIDS.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721
david, i'd love to be an editor, so i don't find that boring at all.
It isn't, really. It's just that I've been doing it for so long. I think I'd like to retire!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I love 'em too...

Quote:
Also awesome. I love nurses with every fiber of my being. I learned during my partner's illness that they are the ones who truly provide the care, not to mention emotional support to patient and loved ones.
since my 'better other half" Deb is a nurse (Med search-She also works in the ICU/ER/OB), my older sister Lesa is a nurse and one of the very few people I call friend (Kelli) is also a nurse.

Sadly Oklahoma, As is the rest of the US, is in the middle of the worse nursing shortage on record.

To change the topic a tad, I was watching TV when I noticed that a few of my fellow NDT tech's are the ones responsible for noticing the corrosion in the BP pipeline in Alaska. They discovered the corrision & cracks by using ultrasonics & radiographic scans of the pipeline...Good work guys.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 08-08-2006 at 12:22 PM..
Old 08-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Unwarranted!?! I LOVE working in public radio - if something bad happens and it's no more - I will, under no circumstances, work in commercial radio..I've become a snob. And I worked in commercial radio for a bit and hated it with every fiber of my being.

Where does your friend in public radio work - it's a small world public radio! But some stations are better than others in terms of the people and practices, I've just been very very lucky to work at three top-notch (ok 2 top-notch, 1 just mid-notch) public radio stations.
She works in SF, for noth of the NPR stations, but is freelance. I should have said that she thinks my envy of the radio work is unwarranted, not specifically public radio. I think the low pay has her disillusioned. She and I were working in bars and restaurants 10 years ago, and I think she has forgotten what a grind that was!
Radio is magic. Turning the dial, or searching for an internet station is like wandering through the stacks of the library. I have been hooked ever since my first crystal radio set, in third grade.
"There's somethin' about your voice - coming out of the night, out of the light, out of the sky, out of the ground - over airwaves comes your voice, on a little Atwater Kent Radio."
------Sam Phillips
Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am an Imaging Service Associate at my local hospital in the radiology department. I hope to be a teacher one day as well.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am a Senior Real Estate Note buyer ~ this month is my 8 year anniversary

"Everyone born in the month of February thinks they are right!" Quote from a lady at the table next to us at Don Pablo's!!

http://www.myspace.com/catherinetuliano
Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone
She works in SF, for noth of the NPR stations, but is freelance. I should have said that she thinks my envy of the radio work is unwarranted, not specifically public radio. I think the low pay has her disillusioned. She and I were working in bars and restaurants 10 years ago, and I think she has forgotten what a grind that was!
Radio is magic. Turning the dial, or searching for an internet station is like wandering through the stacks of the library. I have been hooked ever since my first crystal radio set, in third grade.
"There's somethin' about your voice - coming out of the night, out of the light, out of the sky, out of the ground - over airwaves comes your voice, on a little Atwater Kent Radio."
------Sam Phillips
Ah yes, the low pay in public radio can be a bitch. It depends on where you are though - I'm making more money in Colorado than I was in Rochester and the cost of living is pretty comparable. Either way though public radio salaries are generally on the low side. Still, I think it's worth it to be able to say you love what you do!

edit: Of course I only have myself - I don't have a family to feed - if I did the low pay would definitely be a bitch.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am a Tax Attorney. I joke I may be the most hated person in the world an accountant and an attorney.

I used to work for a large coporate firm and now I work for myself and consult and write on these topics.

Basically that means I work less and make more.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, currently I work at Arby's. Not too glamorous that's for sure, but it beats not working at all.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I wish I was professional millionaire though.

Me too! My dream job? Independently wealthy
Old 08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up I love Arbys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Well, currently I work at Arby's. Not too glamorous that's for sure, but it beats not working at all.
Yep, any money is better than none.

I work at home doing data entry. Lost my job back in May, but got picked up by another company doing the same thing. Unfortunately, we don't have any work right now...the first 2 weeks of August are going to be slow, they said. Hope it picks up really soon. I need cash for this fall....it's gonna be NUTS in terms of airfare, tickets, hotels, etc. It's a little overwhelming to think about. I wish I could travel around with other Ledgies or something.