User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But I wouldn't like to know more about Yoko's music. What you say sounds interesting, maybe I judged too fast, but the only song I remember was one from 1982, something about my man, when she was singing Babalu-babalu-babalu, I love you, I love you. Babalu-babalu-babalu, I love you, I love you. I mean what was that?? Her voice sounded like Minnie Mouse, as I remember. And the video was ridiculously funny, sorry. So that song didn't make me research about Yoko other music works (I usually listen to a song and sometimes it makes look for the complete works of that band/singer. That happened to me with Pink Floyd, Simply Red, Pretenders, Annie Lennox, etc.. and of course Fleetwood Mac)
Oh that's good! I think some of you may be misunderstanding my point in defending Yoko's artistic credibility. I'm not persuading you to be a fan of hers or even give her a listen, but at least acknowledge that she had an artistic career prior to her life with John. The above song you referenced is called "My Man" and I don't care for it. I believe it was about her late husband and son and it's just a cute little thing she put together. My points of reference to Yoko's compelling music is her albums Approximately Infinite Universe, Season Of Glass, Rising, and Between My Head and The Sky. I have her box set and there's a huge mixture of styles, some I'm positive people would at. But within that mix is some truly amazing stuff. I am very serious. She is far too oft maligned and unfairly lambasted for her musical career, but it's OK. Believe me, I get it.

Quote:
What I do thing it was great was the story about how John met Yoko. It describes a Yoko's art work that I do agree with John it was beautiful. I would have loved to see the full exhibition:

The viewer is invited to climb a white ladder, where at the top a magnifying glass, attached by a chain, hangs from a frame on the ceiling. The viewer uses the reading glass to discover a block letter "instruction" beneath the framed sheet of glass – it says "Y E S." It was through this work that Ono met her third husband and longtime collaborator, John Lennon." Lennon, when relating this story to Dick Cavett on his talk show in 1971, explained that if the word had been "no," he would have left the gallery and not come back, but was so moved by its positivity that he had to get to know Yoko.

I'm not an artist but I agree with John. And I would have liked to see more of Yoko's art (sculptures, paints, but no music)
Yes, that is part of what fascinates me most about them as a couple. John married his first wife extremely young and as a result of extraneous circumstances. Although everyone will say: wow, he had this pretty blonde wife and sweet family and he goes off with THIS crazy woman? I think there was something about her that amazed him. He and his wife were very different and had grown distant before Yoko even came into the picture. Not to justify things, but **** happens. And in this case he turned his back on a very sweet, conventional life for unknown territory- AND he didn't give a dang what people thought. He was besotted and no one got it. It sort of entrances me.

Last edited by Nico; 07-12-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
There's a trend in music blogging of putting the Beatles first on any list, regardless of criteria. Here it seems a bit of a stretch...
Agreed. Yoko Ono's musical stylings may be appreciated by some, but they are... an acquired taste, shall we say? Linda McCartney had the kind of passable voice you can find in any karaoke bar - not horrific, but not that special. It's only because their husbands were members of the sacrosanct Beatles that this list deems their musical talents "legendary." Even the magazine description admits that Linda's most important "contribution" was as the inspiration for a couple good McCartney tunes.

I agree that SnL should have been higher but, like others, I'm just glad they're on the list. The more visibility they get, the better.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Also, where are Sonny & Cher?
Agreed, but given the state of the music business & how these kinds of rankings typically go these days, I'm thinking we should count our lucky stars that this list does not include Justin & Britney.

- Jake
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Now if John Lennon hooked up with Joni Mitchell, I would agree unconditionally that they were the greatest, most legendary rock couple ever.
If Joni hooked up with John Lennon, she would have conked him on the head with Wayne Shorter's soprano sax and left him just like she left 1/2 CSN and most of the Court and Spark session players..
Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
It's only because their husbands were members of the sacrosanct Beatles that this list deems their musical talents "legendary."
But isn't it a legendary coupledom and not necessarily their individual musical talents? I'm confused by the criteria for this listing. I hear ya, though. I adore the Beatles like no other, but they pretty much always own any type of listing. It's just sort of expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
If Joni hooked up with John Lennon, she would have conked him on the head with Wayne Shorter's soprano sax and left him just like she left 1/2 CSN and most of the Court and Spark session players..
Yeah, she got around, eh? I have a John book where she came into one of his album sessions (when he was separated from Yoko) and was giving him the stare down and stalking him around the room. Apparently he wasn't too impressed by her.

Last edited by Nico; 07-12-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Hey Sonny, have you seen Cher? Anyone?
I've been a Sonny and Cher fan forever, but it didn't occur to me to wonder why they weren't on the list, because I don't consider them "rock" really. I guess I think of them as pop. This became even truer when they mellowed and entered the seventies (All I Ever Need Is You) than it was when they rose to fame in the sixties.

Sonny apprenticed with Phil Specter, but I guess I never thought most of his creations were rock.

Although The Beat Goes On certainly is and I'm as proud and thrilled about it's place in history as I am anything FM has ever done.

Cher made a rocker out of Bang, Bang My Baby Shot Me Down, for sure. But Sinatra covered the same song in a very different manner.

Of course, a rocker has performed Needles and Pins, but I still don't know if it's a rock song.

Anyway, when I saw this list, I never wondered why Sonny and Cher weren't included myself -- though I'd include them in most everything.

Michele
Old 07-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another great couple: Elton John and Bernie Taupin
Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
They were a couple? Had no idea. I thought they were together only professionally.

- Jake
Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit View Post
They were a couple? Had no idea. I thought they were together only professionally.

- Jake
You thought correctly, Taupin is straight!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
hahahaha!!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Yoko Ono

For those interested in Yoko Ono music, I recall this thread when I read few days ago about a new Yoko album. Again it creates controversial opinions...

http://www.jambands.com/news/2012/06...of-sonic-youth

Yoko Ono will release a collaborative album with Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore on September 25 via Chimera Music. The six-track album, titled YOKOKIMTHURSTON, comes following last October’s news that Gordon and Moore were calling an end to their 27-year marriage, putting Sonic Youth on indefinite hiatus.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Delaney and Bonnie should have definitely been on this list, as should have the most obvious rock couple of them all:

Mick Fleetwood and John McVie

Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh No They Didn't

10:23 pm - 08/26/2012
Strange Love: Rock's Unlikeliest Couples

Read more at ONTD: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...#ixzz24llRF8Oo

Stevie Nicks and Don Henley

After splitting with her Fleetwood Mac bandmate Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks quietly had a two-year relationship with the Eagles' Don Henley, which culminated in their collaborative hit "Leather & Lace." The love affair reportedly ended when Nicks aborted her and Henley's baby, an event that inspired the Tusk track "Sara."
Old 08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't see how Stevie and Don are all that strange of a couple.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I don't see how Stevie and Don are all that strange of a couple.
True. If she had been dating one of the guys from KISS that would be strange. Michele