Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM in Dallas in the Seventies

Before tonight’s AAC show, watch rare videos of Fleetwood Mac in Dallas in the ’70s

Robert Wilonsky 3/4/2015

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com...0s-watch.html/

Fleetwood Mac’s good to go tonight at the American Airlines Center, so stop asking, I beg you. Tickets are still available too for those desperate enough to venture out into the below-freezing temps, approaching sleet-n-snow combo and howling north-by-bloody-hell winds for some nose-bleed seats, which just sounds super-awesome. Or …

We do this instead.

I was looking for something very not related on the Texas Archive of the Moving Image site over the weekend when I tripped on some footage of the band’s performance at the Cotton Bowl on July 23, 1978, when the weather was the opposite of today’s. For those who weren’t there — and, especially, for those who were, because I know you’ve forgotten — that was the Cotton Bowl Jam 2, the sorta-Texxas Music Festival spin-off that came three weeks after the first Jamm. Also on the bill: Billy “Children of the Sun” Thorpe, Bob Welch, Little River Band and homegrown Steve Miller.

Now, we’ve highlighted one clip before — the 12-minute flashback in which Mick Fleetwood talks about life on the road as the crew sets up in Fair Park. That bit, like the ones below, comes from the Jim Ruddy Collection and dates back to the days when KDFW-Channel 4 aired Eyewitness News (which had one of the all-time great intros).

But I hadn’t seen till recently Stevie Nicks’ July 21 interview with Ruddy, which was conducted on the Dallas Love Field tarmac moments after the band poured off its tiny plane. (Lindsey Buckingham’s hot, y’all. Temperature-wise, I mean.) It’s like a scene out of Almost Famous, except the band’s Very Famous at that point. What you see below would never happen today. But Ruddy was a fan. And he had access, as evidenced by his 1975 interview with Nicks and Fleetwood before the band’s ’75 shows at Memorial Auditorium. That too is below.

Ruddy’s also donated footage of the band performing a snippet of “Monday Morning” off the 1975 debut, along with his intro filmed whilst in the middle of what was surely a sober Cotton Bowl crowd. And if you want to see what the crowd looked like for that Texxas jam, there’s also a full-length performance of Steve Miller’s “The Joker.”

Enjoy. What else you got better to do today?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Who shot McVie???

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-04-2015, 10:31 PM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead. Reason: blood loss
Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Sleet/Ice/Snow here in Dallas/Fort Worth

Well, the concert, as far as I know, is still going on, even though, we are getting sleet at the moment and will be getting snow overnight. Hope everyone that went tonight at the AAC makes it home safe and sound.

The weather could be causing some issues with the videos, because I had problems with buffering as well. Dunno though.

I'm still holding onto some hope that I can head up to OKC next Thursday for the show there.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Who shot McVie???
Lee Harvey Oswald, from the repository building??
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Lee Harvey Oswald, from the repository building??
I thought it was Kristin...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
Well, the concert, as far as I know, is still going on, even though, we are getting sleet at the moment and will be getting snow overnight. Hope everyone that went tonight at the AAC makes it home safe and sound.

The weather could be causing some issues with the videos, because I had problems with buffering as well. Dunno though.

I'm still holding onto some hope that I can head up to OKC next Thursday for the show there.
with attending the show in OKC lil' sister. If the concert was scheduled for tonight I think there would be issues since OKC had a record amount of snow yesterday....fortunately the temp next Thursday (March 12 should be my Mom's 71st b-day) is going to be right around 70, so enjoy yourself if you attend.

Maybe someday I will get back into FM's music...and see ya at a show.

http://www.chesapeakearena.com/event...2-2015-tickets

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 03-05-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Ruddy’s also donated footage of the band performing a snippet of “Monday Morning” off the 1975 debut, along with his intro filmed whilst in the middle of what was surely a sober Cotton Bowl crowd.
This footage of Monday Morning was filmed on the Tusk Tour. Would love to see the rest of this Tusk show on video.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This footage of Monday Morning was filmed on the Tusk Tour. Would love to see the rest of this Tusk show on video.
No, that wouldn't make sense. Sorry. First off, the camera angle is from the top which is where the previous footage of Steve Miller was shot. The camera operator was stationed up there the whole day. See the other clips and you'll know what I mean. Also, Lindsey's jacket, more than anything else, screams 1978 tour.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Who shot McVie???
The same person that shot J.R. Ewing.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
No, that wouldn't make sense. Sorry. First off, the camera angle is from the top which is where the previous footage of Steve Miller was shot. The camera operator was stationed up there the whole day. See the other clips and you'll know what I mean. Also, Lindsey's jacket, more than anything else, screams 1978 tour.
I know I'm not wrong, literally. If you look at all the live footage that we have from the Cotton Bowl show, it was all performed in broad daylight. All the still pics from that show, also broad daylight. In THIS performance, it is clearly night time, the stage is smaller than the CB stage and this show was filmed in the dark, which could be outdoors somewhere or in an arena. And look closely at Stevie. I'm almost positive she is sporting the Sara Tusk bun.