User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
WHY don't you like Sugar Daddy? The cheesy lyrics???

I LOVE the music. Always have. Always will. It's made EVERY greatest hits CD I've ever made. So has Think About Me.
The cheesy lyrics are why sugar daddy is awesome! It's a dumb, irrelevant song and it know it, that's what makes it fun. It's also the only song from the BN era that Christine got to show off her blusey rocker voice. I always like showing this one to people, at the very least it gets a reaction . I'd honestly rather listen to it over her other white album tracks, even if it's objectively weaker than all of them. I think similarly for Think About Me.

Warm Ways and Crystal both took me a minute to like but I love them both now. Warm Ways just has a great sound even if it's not good for active listening and Crystal's harmonies and keyboards make it worth the wait through some occasionally awkward lyrics.

As for some of the other deep cut Chris tracks mentioned... I'm still working on Only Over You, Over and Over, Mystified, and Honey Hi. It's gonna happen eventually... But it's so hard lol.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Warm Ways is my favorite song on the FM album. I wish they had ventured down that road a bit more. So many layers to that song, but it’s not forced like Over and Over (which I love too, but it’s so heavily over produced)
Old 06-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
Warm Ways is my favorite song on the FM album. I wish they had ventured down that road a bit more. So many layers to that song, but it’s not forced like Over and Over (which I love too, but it’s so heavily over produced)
I love the production on Over and Over. It's like art.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I love the production on Over and Over. It's like art.
Oh I do to. It’s a great example of when over production is done right.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
WHY don't you like Sugar Daddy? The cheesy lyrics???

I LOVE the music. Always have. Always will. It's made EVERY greatest hits CD I've ever made. So has Think About Me.
The lyrics...that car horn...bleh. I don't disagree about the music but if she wrote completely different lyrics for it I may change my mind!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
True, but if we have whole threads on this forum dedicated to discussions on Post-Rumours lineup auditions and concert setlists then a Pre-Rumours song shouldn't be verboten.

I'll even go so far as to post the most fitting Post-Rumours song describing the band's current status:

I don't hate this song...but you know it is indeed strange times for Fleetwood Mac when Mick Fleetwood gets a 7+ minute song on an album.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Storms and Beautiful Child are great but Crystal is another barf-worthy tune. When I see people putting it in their dream setlists I just cringe. I have no need to ever hear that one live.
How can you not like Crystal? WAAAAaaaahhh! It's so beautiful.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post

As for some of the other deep cut Chris tracks mentioned... I'm still working on Only Over You, Over and Over, Mystified, and Honey Hi. It's gonna happen eventually... But it's so hard lol.
oh wow, you have to listen to Honey Hi with headphones on. The background harmonies are amazing from SN/LB. Love it!

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 06-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like every single Christine song she ever made before 1975. Then all at once she falls off a cliff with the first alum with Stevie and Lindsey. I know I’ll be in the minority here, but I honestly feel the 1975 album is as much of a sudden drop off in quality of songs for Christine as it was for Stevie on Tango in the Night.

Say You Love Me is catchy and John mcvie keeps it from
Being completely forgettable with his bass lines (as he would do many times in the future especially on the say You will album) But warm ways is boring for all the reasons already stated.

World Turning is one of their 5 greatest live staples of all time (maybe as epic as the Rhiannon’s in the 70s in hindsight) but the reissue has shown that World Turning along with Sugar Daddy and Over My Head were initially FAR better. Sugar Daddy being the worst offender. I’m sorry but I have to say Lindsey essentially butchered Christine’s how incredible pre-75 song streak with his production on her songs on that first album.

And let me clarify, other then warm ways, I don’t think the rest of Christine’s songs on this album are bad. Just a huge step down from all the bob Welch era albums and only in the past year do I see how much better they could have been.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-10-2018, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Warm Ways is a beautiful song as is Honey Hi. I like a rocker more then anybody else but I also love throwing on a pair of headphones and hearing those amazing harmonies on Mystified, Honey Hi etc...
Old 06-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Warm Ways is a beautiful song as is Honey Hi. I like a rocker more then anybody else but I also love throwing on a pair of headphones and hearing those amazing harmonies on Mystified, Honey Hi etc...
Yes, Christine in headphones is a whole new experience. Agreeing w/ Hawkeye. Some of Christine's early takes were far better than the finished. Warm Ways sounds better a bit raw to me. I think it gets watered down a bit.

Having said that, I love WW and Sugar Daddy. The early take of SDaddy is amazing to my ears. Especially, in headphones.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know. Even though Christine was always my favorite, some of her "sleepers" bore me to tears. I've never really cared for:
Warm Ways
Oh Daddy

And it took me YEARS to learn to even marginally like:
Mystified
Only Over Ewe
Honey Hi
Never Forget
Oh Daddy and Honey Hi are among my favorite tunes. Oh Daddy is iconic, as iconic, I believe, as Rhiannon, albeit in an entirely different way.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP View Post
oh wow, you have to listen to Honey Hi with headphones on. The background harmonies are amazing from SN/LB. Love it!
I have to agree with this. When I first heard "Honey Hi" I hated it, but eventually it really grew on me.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I don't consider Sugar Daddy cheezy lyrics at all
I find them sentimental in a bullish kind of way
She is sticking to her man no matter how another man with material things tries to lure her way.
Its so bluesy and fun!!!!
Love the organ and the serving whiskey neat line.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-11-2018 at 04:45 PM..