The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gary Oldman has played so many great roles. My favourite would have to be in Sid and Nancy- he was absolutely incredible in that film.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 02-11-2018 at 03:23 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Gary Oldman has played so many great roles. Mt favourite would have to be in Sid and Nancy- he was absolutely incredible in that film.
I love Sid and Nancy!!!! Great performance. His performance in the 5th Element sticks with me too.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...yes...and Leon

Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I’m glad you saw The Stepford Wives connection in Get Out. I thought it was a rip off. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw that movie.
Jordan Peele has talked extensively about how Get Out was meant to be a cross between The Stepford Wives, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and Rosemary's Baby. He alluded to many films in the horror genre but I didn't think they overpowered the narrative, which I found to be original and full of symbolism. I thought the film was excellent, especially the ending! (I won't spoil it, but I'll just say, TSA!)

Coco was probably my favorite of the year! I heard someone say that if you don't cry during this movie then you must be a serial killer, and I agree wholeheartedly!

I thought a lot of the movies met my standard of a "good" movie, but few stood out. I've heard the most buzz about Ladybird but I just couldn't bring myself to see another coming of age story.

For the Oscars, I'm rooting for The Shape of Water (the most beautiful to watch) or Get Out (the most fun to watch).

I'm glad that Wonder Woman did well in theaters because I'm hoping for a second one that's even better!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
Jordan Peele has talked extensively about how Get Out was meant to be a cross between The Stepford Wives, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and Rosemary's Baby. He alluded to many films in the horror genre but I didn't think they overpowered the narrative, which I found to be original and full of symbolism. I thought the film was excellent, especially the ending! (I won't spoil it, but I'll just say, TSA!)

Coco was probably my favorite of the year! I heard someone say that if you don't cry during this movie then you must be a serial killer, and I agree wholeheartedly!

I thought a lot of the movies met my standard of a "good" movie, but few stood out. I've heard the most buzz about Ladybird but I just couldn't bring myself to see another coming of age story.

For the Oscars, I'm rooting for The Shape of Water (the most beautiful to watch) or Get Out (the most fun to watch).

I'm glad that Wonder Woman did well in theaters because I'm hoping for a second one that's even better!
Shape of Water is beautiful movie but I thought the movie was creepy, bizarre. There seemed to be too much sex scenes (masterbation...) that weren’t necessary. It gave me a bad feeling. My friend didn’t like it either. It seemed like the movie was promoting beastiality. Eliza ended up reminding me as someone from the Adams Family. I didn’t find her to be this lovely human being. I thought she was a weirdo. This movie may win best picture because people want to see the director be honored but it’s no where near as good as Pans Labyrinth. This movie and Three Billboards are the front runner s but I didn’t like either of them. Good thing I don’t watch or support the Oscars anymore.

Get Out was ok but my big problem with it was it didn’t seem original at all. Even the ending with “Sunken Place” was just a rip off of “the further” from the Insidious movies.

I’m happy Wonder Woman did well too. I hope they make more superhero based on women. Captain Marvel is already on her way!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post

I forgot about Coco. This movie was a huge surprise to me. Yes, I hid my eyes and did cry at the end. I even bought the song. The movie was beautiful.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:42 AM
Ledgie

If you want to hear me blather about Dunkirk, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Blade Runner 2049, here you go!

Dunkirk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21uEYuLtxyA

The Hitman's Bodyguard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtgzvlu17o

Blade Runner 2049: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVXMpsZdYgA

I have The Last Jedi and All the Money in the World written up, but I haven't had the time to make videos for them. lol, this is why I stick with older movies.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
If you want to hear me blather about Dunkirk, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Blade Runner 2049, here you go!

Dunkirk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21uEYuLtxyA

The Hitman's Bodyguard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtgzvlu17o

Blade Runner 2049: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVXMpsZdYgA

I have The Last Jedi and All the Money in the World written up, but I haven't had the time to make videos for them. lol, this is why I stick with older movies.
Good job. Good reviews.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 AM
Ledgie

Thank you, Jondalar!

I liked Logan a lot too and thought it was a fitting conclusion. I didn't like Planet of the Apes as much as you did, but I could appreciate it as a film. I know that this sounds stupid, but I didn't gel with the fact that there weren't any human protagonists that could speak. I know that it was supposed to show that the apes had more humanity than the humans, but it was too much ape visually for me.

I liked The Last Jedi too, but I can understand why fans disliked it.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Gary Oldman was sensational. He was Churchill down to his bones. So proud of him for that performance.
True Romance,.....Love him in that film. Great film....
Old 07-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Shape of Water is beautiful movie but I thought the movie was creepy, bizarre. There seemed to be too much sex scenes (masterbation...) that weren’t necessary. It gave me a bad feeling. My friend didn’t like it either. It seemed like the movie was promoting beastiality. Eliza ended up reminding me as someone from the Adams Family. I didn’t find her to be this lovely human being. I thought she was a weirdo. This movie may win best picture because people want to see the director be honored but it’s no where near as good as Pans Labyrinth. This movie and Three Billboards are the front runner s but I didn’t like either of them. Good thing I don’t watch or support the Oscars anymore.

Get Out was ok but my big problem with it was it didn’t seem original at all. Even the ending with “Sunken Place” was just a rip off of “the further” from the Insidious movies.

I’m happy Wonder Woman did well too. I hope they make more superhero based on women. Captain Marvel is already on her way!

I'm a bit late to it...I've only just watched The Shape of Water. Overall I thought it was pretty good. In terms of bestiality- I think you may have missed the major point of the film.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a bit late to it...I've only just watched The Shape of Water. Overall I thought it was pretty good. In terms of bestiality- I think you may have missed the major point of the film.
Well glad you liked it. The main woman reminded me of someone from the Adams family. Watching her masterbate and have sex with the Black Lagoon creature gave me the creeps. Loved the art direction though.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well glad you liked it. The main woman reminded me of someone from the Adams family. Watching her masterbate and have sex with the Black Lagoon creature gave me the creeps. Loved the art direction though.

I don't know whether you missed the little clues- she was supposed to be a bit odd- she was a mermaid.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-25-2018, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know whether you missed the little clues- she was supposed to be a bit odd- she was a mermaid.
Now on Scout's honor, did you figure that out on your own?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Now on Scout's honor, did you figure that out on your own?

Oh yes. She had supernatural water-controlling powers and matching scars on her neck that she'd had since she was a baby. Add in she was found in a river

Mick Fleetwood