The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So it follows, by some demented logic I’ve ascribed to at one point or another, that I’m supposed to feel “guilty” about my love for the following things: bowling, Lindsey Buckingham’s “Holiday Road,” Fleetwood Mac’s Fleetwood Mac and Rumours, cheesesteaks, Hall & Oates, Kenny Loggins’ “I’m Alright (Theme from Caddyshack),” my never-ending search for the perfect hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant, the first three albums by Blue Oyster Cult, the movies Shooter, T2: Judgment Day and Predator, The Doobie Brothers’ “What a Fool Believes,” Magic 92.5 FM (“San Diego’s Old School”), Red Bull and a bunch of other things that might not be filed under “good” taste.

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/a...principle.html
Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rhiannon by The Boat People

Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default July 9,2010

Summary: A perfect album if there ever was one.

5 of 5 thought this review was well written

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is justfully viewed by the general public as one of the greatest rock records of all time. It earned this status because it succeeds on so many levels: on a basic one, every single song is fantastic. Structurally, it is flawless, each piece taking an extremely fitting position on the tracklist. Most of all though, it is very unified: a true 'album': What made this possible is the relationship struggles in the band at the time, which had 2 couples (!) at the time of recording. In a stunning achievement, all these troubles and uncertainties, but also positive aspects were channeled into the songwriting. The result: the perfect rock album.

Like on its predecessor, Fleetwood Mac, Rumours divides the songwriting between three members, and each of them gets an equal chance to show off their superb skills. Because there are no two consecutive songs with the same lead vocalist, the album keeps flowing extremely well and is therefore far more interesting. Other than that, the bigger, anthemic songs are arranged neatly in between mostly shorter, simpler and direct ones. Not only does this ensure the necessary variety, but it also makes the tracks falling into the latter category far more interesting and effective. Take opener Second Hand News, for example. Not only does it draw the listener in immeadiately and comfortably, it is also a perfect introduction for the theme. As two of the three songwriters are Buckingham and Nicks, a great deal of the album focuses on their breaking relationship, and Buckingham's first song comes right in with lyrics that are clear enough of his stance on the breakup with Nicks:

'One thing I think you should know
I ain't gonna miss you when you go
Been down so long
I've been tossed around enough
Aw Couldn't you just
Let me go down and do my stuff'

There's a lot of negative feelings on Buckingham's side, which is solified by the beautiful little acoustic number Never Going Back Again, which' title obviously speaks for itself. His best song, however, is easily the huge hit Go Your Own Way, with its immortal chorus and rockin' guitar solo (one of his fiercer moments on the album).

The other side of that relationship is of course Stevie Nicks, a woman with a ridiculously sexy voice and quite possibly the best songwriting skills in the band. It is unbelievable that Silver Springs, now a restored b-side, did not originally appear on the album (something that wrecked Nicks, as she has a strong personal connection with the song). It's inclusion on the remaster makes Rumours only so much better than it already was, and easily outdoes her other excellent moments I Don't Want to Know and Gold Dust Woman. Her first appearance Dreams is however her seminal moment: the utter control she has over her singing is nothing short of amazing, as are the lyrics:

'Now there you go again
You say you want your freedom
Who am I to keep you down...down
It's only right that you should
Play it the way that you feel it
But listen carefully to the sound
Of your loneliness
Like a heartbeat, drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering
What you had, And what you lost
Ooooh, say what you had, you know what you lost

Thunder only happens when it's raining
Players only love you when they're playing
They say, women, they will come and they will go
When the rain washes you clean, you'll know
You will know'

And btw, thanks John McVie, that bassline you're playing there is awesome.

Christine McVie, on the other hand, provides a sense of optimism. The upbeat Don't Stop is a definite highlight, and delivers some strong positive lyricism: 'If you wake up and don't want to smile/If it takes just a little while/Open your eyes and look at the day/You'll see things in a different way.'. You Make Loving Fun, her joint best song on the album, goes even further in this optimism: 'Sweet wonderful you/You make me happy with the things you do/Oh, can it be so/This feeling follows me wherever I go.' (and John, more compliments here, that's some funkeh stuff right there). Songbird however deserves special mention: though not as well known as the two aforementioned songs, is yet another definite standout: recorded in an empty stadium with just McVie on vocals and keys, it is the most direct and intimate piece on Rumours.

And although there's a lot more to write about how amazing this record is, you should honestly just go and listen to it if you haven't already. Rumours is an album like no other, and deserves it's classic reputation like no other. Superbly written, varied material, completely unified as an album, fantastically produced, and most importantly: extremely meaningful and connectable for anyone who's ever been in a serious relationship. I'm just going to say it: this is one of the greatest rock records of all time, and if you doubt that, you just haven't listened good enough.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=37701
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A tuneful Big Mac attack For those who didn't catch Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks when they played 1st Mariner Arena last year – or who never get enough of "Rhiannon," "Go Your Own Way" and "Tusk" — may we suggest Meetwood Flack? It's an evening of Fleetwood Mac music, covered by area bands the Bellevederes, Wye Oak, Egg Babies, Desert Boys and Infinite Honey. The tune-making begins at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Windup Space, 12 W. North Ave. Tickets are $8, and you must be 21 or older. Information: 410-244-8855 or thewindupspace.com.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,2972004.story
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default You Make Loving Fun

Despite growing up in the 70s and having heard all the songs a hundred times, I think I first really discovered Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours album somewhere around 1985. The roller coaster ride of bouncy fluffy love songs and twee pop melodies tinged with bitter and sometimes incredibly twisted lyrics appealed to this dorky, girl-free kid, I guess. Looking back on it, while I still love classics such as The Chain, I wanted to pick one of Christine McVie’s songs for the first Classic Rock Friday because I feel her voice still has a singer-songwriter quality that stands out today, even among the giant talents of Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham. In fact, I think it’s because Stevie and Lindsay take such a back seat in this number that I like it so much – it’s such a good little pop/rock song that forces even their egos out of the way. McVie has one other song on Rumours she wrote by herself, but that one is “Don’t Stop”, which is much more of a layered harmony between the three all the way through, so much so that almost every line becomes a chant. This one, however, is just her… cool, a little funky, reminiscent of Steely Dan or even 10CC, and has just a touch of melancholy sitting behind the harmonies during the chorus. This was the fourth single from the Rumours album and pretty much sealed the deal in making Fleetwood Mac a worldwide sensation. Despite not being what most people would consider Classic Rock, there’s no denying the Classicness of this, one of McVie’s greatest songs.

http://madeinthe70s.com/?p=183
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default click on link to view photo

Friday, July 9, 2010 8:00

Posted in Celebrities, Makeup, Makeup ArtistNo Comments

I adored Fleetwood Mac in the 70’s, hell I grew up on their music. Didn’t we all want to be sexy and mysterious like Stevie Nicks? She had a sensuous appeal to both men and women; men wanted her and women wanted to be her. In that husky but lilting voice, singing the song Rhiannon and saying it was written about a witch….that sealed her mystique forever.

Troy Jensen makeup artist extraordinaire to the stars does a modern take on Stevie’s smokey rock goddess look with Shenae Grimes (Annie Wilson in the new 90210) and he used all Estee Lauder products!

What he used:

Estee Lauder DayWear Plus -Multi Protection Anti-Oxidant Mositurizer
Doublewear Stay-in-Place Concealer SPF 10-Light Medium
Doublewear Stay-in-Place Eyeliner Pencil-Onyx
Satin Cream Blush–Mauve Light
Automatic Brow Pencil–Dark Brown
Pure Color Eye Shadow–Minx
Bronze Goddess Liquid EyeShadow–Ultra Violet
Sumptuous Waterproof Mascara–Black
Doublewear Stay-in-Place Lipstick–Stay Scarlet
Personally, I think this is similiar to what Stevie looked like in concert but not like the picture he chose of her–it’s a much softer look in my opinion. What do you think? Did Troy capture Stevie’s look? Let me know in the comments. Meanwhile I’m going to put on some Fleetwood Mac albums—yes I said ALBUMS!

http://www.primebeautyblog.net/troy-...-stevie-nicks/
Old 07-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the person who wrote this thinks there are 4 members in FM

Why do the people who write these blogs always spell Lindsey with an "a?"

July 11th, 2010 by aussieboy63

I was at High School when Fleetwood Mac released their signature album Rumours, and I still get the same enjoyment now as I did all those many years ago. From the first song to the last constitutes 39 minutes of musical enjoyment, and I do not believe there is a weak song on the album. As we found at later it was put together in diabolical circumstances with strained relationships and constant creative differences. Despite that these four talented musicans and song-writers turned out one of the greatest albums that has ever been produced and that is not only my opinion, with many music historians glowingly referring to the perfection on this album.

The whole first side is full of hits, starting with the up-beat “Second Hand News” before going to the ballad “Dreams” which features those unique vocals of Steve Nicks and a great bass sound from John McVie. Nicks wrote this song and anyone, like me, who has followed her solo career, would quickly identify this as one of her tunes.

“Never Going Back Again” showing Lindsay Buckingham at his best on guitar was a more folksy sound, but then it is a real pop song next with Christine McVie’s “Don’t Stop”. This is real foot-tapping Fleetwood Mac at its best. Then “Go Your Own Way” continues the foot stomping with Mick Fleetwood getting into it on the drum. Great beat, great vocals, great tune.

The last song on side A is another Christine McVie effort, “Songbird” which is basically her voice with piano and some relaxed and subtle guitar work. Producer Ken Caillat feltthe song needed a concert hall’s ambience, and it was recorded during an all-night session at Zellerback Auditorium in Berkeley.

Side B starts with “The Chain” a powerful song written by all four members of the band. It features heavy bass and drum backgrounds with the haunting guitar work of Buckingham. It is almost anthemic in the way it is presented, and would not be out of place at an alternative music festival. Great song that could have been a single, but was never released.

“I Don’t Want To Know” and “Oh Daddy” keep the standard going, both being catchy tunes and then they are followed by the very haunting and soulful “Oh Daddy.” This was another Christine McVie song and I think I probably liked her songs on the album the best, perhaps because they had some appeal at the time. Sorry but too long ago to remember why?

The last song on the album “Gold Dust Woman” was written by Stevie Nicks and was another powerful ballad and again the great vocals of Nicks was backed up by the brilliant acoustic work of Buckingham on guitar.

So there you have it….Brilliant Album…… Brilliant Band………RUMOURS by FLEETWOOD MAC

http://aussieboy63.gorgeousboys.net/

Last edited by vivfox; 07-11-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stag & Dagger Glasgow, Various Venues, 22 May 2010

Glasgow’s hot – perfect weather for a festival except this one is inside, spread over seven venues. Scottish talent from folkies Sparrow & The Workshop to garage barflies Schnapps, is on display. Among the best bits: Django Django - budget Betas with a fondness for sound FX, coconut shells and loud shirts; The amazing voice of Jesca Hoop; Hardcore punks Divorce covering Fleetwood Mac; The air-con actually working in Sleazy’s; The unintentionally hilarious Sleigh Bells (think the Ting Tings gone industrial); Patrick from Titus Andronicus’ spectacular beard; And finally Silver Columns getting tired and sweaty people dancing at 2am.

http://littleraindrops.blogspot.com/...-got-away.html
Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tusk: the song

I have been meaning to choose this song for quite a long while; actually it has been in "the queue" off and on for the last two years. Anyway, for some reason I was thinking about the song this evening and it fits my mood quite well.
This entire album has always been one of my favourites from the band; each track seems to have its own identity in varying ways; it is not a boring album at all.
The way this song was conceived, written, and recorded was genius. The tribal rhythm and effective thumping bass line are nice touches, they give the song a lumbering feeling. Then, of course, the use of the USC Marching Band just added that perfect touch to the song to make it the classic track it is.

http://williamsongblog.blogspot.com/...-mac-tusk.html
Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This guy must've made up this story BECAUSE CD's did not exist in 1977.

Sunday, July 11, 2010
Ah yes, music can take you 'back in the day'
BY JIM SWENSON FEATURES EDITOR

For a little while when I walked into CDs 4 Change earlier this summer and spotted the bright red Grand Funk album cover, I was "back in the day."

Man, did some of us have big album collections. Still do. They withstood the cassette and 8-track invasions. And I hear "vinyl" is gaining renewed popularity with younger people.

When we were young, we couldn't wait for the newest album from our favorite group to come out. I especially remember how desperately I anticipated Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors."

I was a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin, and it was the dead of winter. The first single from the album, "Go Your Own Way," had already been playing on the radio. I loved it. I wanted more.

So, even when it was below zero and I faced a mile walk back to my apartment, I'd stop in at the various incense-infused State Street record stores on an almost daily basis.

"Is 'Rumors' here yet?" I'd ask the usually long-haired attendants, who always seemed to be playing music that only people who were on drugs would like.

"Naw, not yet, man."

Finally, after a few weeks that seemed like an eternity to a 20-year-old student, it arrived. I seriously cradled it all the way to my Williamson Street apartment.

Buckingham, Nicks and the rest didn't let me down as the volume was turned up and I lay sprawled alone on a worn carpet, an oblivious college kid in an unkempt bedroom. I played both sides twice.

These days, I don't buy many albums. But that day at CDs 4 Change, I bought a "Live" Fleetwood Mac album I didn't have, as well as the self-titled Grand Funk record in the bright red jacket.

I used to own that one -- as a cassette. It probably never cracked the Top 100 of top-selling albums. But I always have enjoyed it just the same. This time, I caught myself cradling the two records again, reminiscing about "the day," as I walked out of the store.

Only a couple of months earlier, my wife, Kris, and I had attended an album party by our friends Bill and Merry.

Several of us boomers had a fun time that night, listening to everything from Cheap Trick to Neil Young to a cheesy K-Tell compilation I brought (it lasted on the turntable until "Run, Joey, Run" started playing).

The Grand Funk album didn't let me down this time, either, when I got home. From the opening and slightly crackling "Got This Thing on the Move" to the finale "Mr. Limousine Driver," I was entertained and transported to the past, alone in an upstairs room -- as it should be.

You can e-mail Jim at jswenson@wcinet.com.

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=288716
Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac (“Go Your Own Way”) is 67 « Q105 ...
By Scott Walker
Christine McVie (born Christine Anne Perfect, 12 July 1943, near Greenodd, Cumbria)[1] is an English rock singer, keyboardist, and songwriter. Her primary fame came as a member of the British/American rock band Fleetwood Mac though she ...
Q105 - WRBQ Tampa Bay - http://myq105.radio.com/
Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks or Christine McVie
posted 7/12/2010 11:49:17 PM

tagged: birthday, famous, musician

When I was in high-school most guys were comparing the 2 women from the TV show Gilligan's Island, Ginger versus Maryanne... in that which woman would you like to 'bonk' At the age of 17, with the exception of a few 'country fellas' all the guys voted for Ginger. As they got older, it seemed that Maryanne was the woman to desire.

In the 70's, rock band Fleetwood Mac had front woman Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie was in the background singing and playing keyboards. All eyes were on Stevie with her long flowing hair, long dresses and lace shawls. After 10 years it seems Stevie's divorce, long road tours and drug addiction made her good looks fade quickly. All the while Christine McVie was holing back the clock and became the front runner.

I'm a little late with this blog as midnight nears, but Christine McVie celebrated a birthday today... born 07/12/1943 that makes her 67 year old... woah, those rockers are getting to the age they should be sitting in rockers !

Thanks for reading my blog.

The experts weigh in:
i am still on team stevie here

LJRite

15 hrs 55 mins ago
i am still on team stevie here

Me to, I think she looks great........

SMinNH

14 hrs 52 mins ago
My vote is for Christie McVie, she is way hotter now and always has been.

AverageJoe

13 hrs 31 mins ago
Stevie Nicks or Christine McVie

Yes.

willy3411

9 hrs 39 mins ago
Christine gets my vote. Fleetwood Mac isn't the same band without her.

CPUfan

6 hrs 11 mins ago
The band is named after Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie... from the days when Peter Green was their Pet(e) Albatross...
If it were named after success though, it would be called "Stevie Mac" - which is BOTH lol

"Stevie, Stevie... oh Stevie Mac
When are you coming back..."

ttomtarr

5 hrs 25 mins ago
I'd like a double dip, one each please !

cbond35

4 hrs 54 mins ago
I don't think either one could sing that well personally........Stevie sounds like a billy goat with her tammering vibrato and McVie sounds like a man. "Stand Back" was an ok song though. (Nick's solo debut)

gypsy29

4 hrs 39 mins ago
My ex and I had an agreement, if Stevie Nicks showed up, he was gone. And if Harrison Ford showed up, I was gone.

alas we were both sadly left to each other.

CPUfan

1 hr 38 mins ago
Here's Stevie without Fleetwood or Mac... > MAYBE LOVE WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND <

Studio take from "Street Angel" recordings, Andy Fairweather Lowe on guitar, extended slide ending.

http://www.matchdoctor.com/blog_1206...ine_McVie.html
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

CLASSIC ROCK BDAYS: CHRISTINE MCVIE (FLEETWOOD MAC ...
Happy Birthday to former Fleetwood Mac songwriter-keyboardist Christine McVie, who turns 67 today (July 12)!!! McVie, along with former husband John McVie ...
www.wmgk.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1251406
Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 PM
vivfox
This message has been deleted by vivfox.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy – Early Take – Fleetwood Mac – Stevie Nicks HQ My favourite gypsy of all times! Love the organ/fender rhodes! I think the sentence ‘I can’t find you…’ is just heartbreaking. It’s with some pictures of the sad, intense Stevie. Gypsy….one of the many songs written by Stevie Nicks that can provoke so many different emotions from each listener. This song was originally written for her solo LP Bella Donna, but was later used for the Fleetwood Mac album released in 1982 named Mirage. “I think ‘Gypsy’ was one of my best collaborations ever with Stevie…..in terms of what I do for Stevie as far as arrangement and things go. I think that was one of the most effective pieces we’ve ever done” states Lindsey Buckingham (Guitar World 9/97). Whether it is the mysterious words or the sensual melody, this song captures the hearts of many, and can easily be seen as one of her best songs. Stevie has stated many times that her songs are her innermost feelings and represent things that are happening in her life. When one really listens to the words in Gypsy, we are learning a little more about this special woman and her true spirit. So I’m back, to the velvet underground Back to the floor, that I love To a room with some lace and paper flowers Back to the gypsy that I was To the Gypsy…that I was This song is almost like we are in the middle of her daydream. This first line brings us to a place that Stevie once said she used to shop at in her younger days called The Velvet Underground in San Francisco. She is imagining herself here …

http://janniekreiner.blogrepublik.ro...evie-nicks-hq/
Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dvd Cdg Karaoke | Brilliance Magazine
By admin
Sing the hits of Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks! This CD+G features 9 note-perfect multiplex tracks of great Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks songs. Perfect for practice, performances, auditions, and more! Includes 2 versions of each song ...
Brilliance Magazine - http://brillmagazine.com/