User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
Yeah, that was why I initially asked. Not putting much stock in this. Could be right, could be wrong, but nobody here knows for a fact either way, so... meh.
I agree. But it was posted here, and your ability to search the threads is as easy as mine. Maybe you have the energy, I don't.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I agree. But it was posted here, and your ability to search the threads is as easy as mine. Maybe you have the energy, I don't.
OK Stevie, did you “just” come off of a long tour 3 months ago and now need 2 months in Hawaii? Time for some rest

He Will Burn You Down
Old 01-29-2018, 04:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I'm not doubting that you accurately conveyed info posted here from the SYW era.

I guess the reason I'm not putting stock in the pay breakdown is because it's incredibly easy for any user on this board to make up something like that and quite difficult to come by real numbers. The number of people who knew the payroll statistics for *each* member of the band has to be pretty small. And so, when that info pops up on TL, we're stuck trying to determine the legitimacy of a game of telephone.

Anyway, sorry for any confusion, if there was any!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I could certainly believe that pay breakdown, couldn't you?

I'm sure she has the most powerful management among them.

Frey and Henley said they were never restarting The Eagles unless they got a higher cut than everybody else...
Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I could certainly believe that pay breakdown, couldn't you?

I'm sure she has the most powerful management among them.

Frey and Henley said they were never restarting The Eagles unless they got a higher cut than everybody else...

I don’t know how popular she is in the US cos I don’t live there.
But I do know at The Musicares awards who got the loudest cheer, scream holler etc, etc.
And it was Ms Nicks....so to most folks, she is the most popular...(you don’t have to like her to work that out)
She is a draw...she is a crowd puller...
So maybe your % figures are correct.
She gets paid by results....
So she bends the truth...so what.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

As a writer Stevie gets more royalties from album sales, etc. When the Mac hit it big in 1976 I guess the 5 members split touring equally. After Lindsey left in 1987 and Rick and Billy joined, I seriously doubt they were paid the same as Stevie. I bet she negotiated a bigger chunk. When Christine left, I bet she negotiated again.
I hate to think she makes more from touring than Mick because its his band. But I would probably believe its a tradition that has existed since 1987.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Except when she was making almost triple what the band's founders were making. Isn't that reverse discrimination on her part?

I guess it's okay in that direction, since she's showing "a man" who's boss?
it's only discrimination if someone is prevented from even participating in the money pool to start with-- as a lot of the women in hollywood have been.

Once you're allowed in the pool to negotiate what you are worth based on what you bring to the table in terms of ticket/album sales, then it is market-driven, not genitalia-driven.

If Mick wants more money, he needs a better manager who will fight for it against all the other managers fighting to divvy up the pie. Discrimination would be if they said "sorry Mick, you're a man so you can only make X amount no matter what." As it stands, the market has spoken and she drives more sales than he does. Capitalism, baby. (ETA: otherwise, Lindsey should also feel bad for making more than Mick, and I doubt he does, or that anyone would expect him to.)

You might think he should get more coz his name is on the band, and he and his manager should fight for money on that basis. But money talks, and the number of tickets Stevie can sell far outstrips what he can sell. Capitalism.

I don't think Stevie feels the need to rub Mick's nose in her success anyway; Lindsey, on the other hand.... yeah, I think she loves that she outsells him.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-29-2018 at 07:31 PM..
Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Equal pay from Stevie is such B.S.

Until Christine came back, I believe it was fact that their breakdown of pay was:
Stevie 40%
Lindsey 30%
Mick 15%
John 15%

She's so full of it.
Wasn't the breakdown after expenses:
Stevie 35%
Lindsey 35%
Mick 15%
John 15%

Before Christine's return, I thought Stevie and Lindsey were paid the same. Whatever the case, the singer/songwriter headliners SHOULD get paid more because they are filling the seats. Let's face it, without the lead singers, John and Mick would either be the opening act for REO SPEEDWAGON or playing 500-seat clubs. It's been done before-just reference the Bekka Bramlett/Billy Burnett lineup of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yea, stevie nicks should be incredibly proud, she may be the one example of reverse pay discrimination based on how much she brings to the table. Especially with those SYW tour figures. The person on stage the least and contributing the least to the songs when she’s not on lead had a staggeringly disproportionately high piece of the pie.

And yes, 8 get it, the drawing people in factor can not be ignored here. But in just looking at it from the angle of “equal pay for equal work” stevie won that game! She needs to be the face of the me too movements success stories edition!

Now please, no one gtake the above the wrong way, I’m diminishing the importance of the movement, just pointing out hilario A irony.
It depends on how you look at it and what you consider equal work. In the corporate world, you are rewarded for landing accounts, bringing in clients, etc., so you might have the same base salary as the person in the office next to you, but factor in bonuses and now you're making something very different. This is how Stevie earns money....by bringing in crowds.

Now, if you look at Lindsey on stage for the entire concert (even needlessly during Mick's interminable drum solo) and always having to do at least one thing (play guitar) or sometimes two (play and sing) while Stevie can leave the stage and never does more than one thing (sing), then Lindsey is putting in more time, "doing more work," and would be deserving of a higher salary from this point of view.

But honestly, the breakdown that David posted (which I'm still not sure is corroborated fact) never bothered me much. The men of FM have extremely limited earning potential away from the band, whereas Stevie can still bring in a tidy sum. For Mick to make a third as much as Stevie is a pretty big win for him. They all benefit financially from Fleetwood Mac, but the guys get bigger "raises" than she does when they all come together.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

"I think I've been very lucky," she said. "And maybe it's because when I joined Fleetwood Mac, Christine and I made a pact. We said we will never ever be treated like a second class citizen amongst our peers as we get more famous and more famous -- and if we're in a room with famous rock n' roll stars that are men and they treat us that way, we will scream at them and then we'll walk out."

"We've been a force of nature our entire career, so nobody has dared to step over that line to Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks," she continued. "I'm such a raging monster...

They made a pact. Sure they did.
We'll scream - and then we'll walk out...
You tell 'em Stevie.

That raging monster needn't be worried about
being sexually harassed now. #tooold4me2care
Old 01-29-2018, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
It depends on how you look at it and what you consider equal work. In the corporate world, you are rewarded for landing accounts, bringing in clients, etc., so you might have the same base salary as the person in the office next to you, but factor in bonuses and now you're making something very different. This is how Stevie earns money....by bringing in crowds.

Now, if you look at Lindsey on stage for the entire concert (even needlessly during Mick's interminable drum solo) and always having to do at least one thing (play guitar) or sometimes two (play and sing) while Stevie can leave the stage and never does more than one thing (sing), then Lindsey is putting in more time, "doing more work," and would be deserving of a higher salary from this point of view.

But honestly, the breakdown that David posted (which I'm still not sure is corroborated fact) never bothered me much. The men of FM have extremely limited earning potential away from the band, whereas Stevie can still bring in a tidy sum. For Mick to make a third as much as Stevie is a pretty big win for him. They all benefit financially from Fleetwood Mac, but the guys get bigger "raises" than she does when they all come together.
I agree Lindsey does a lot of work for the band. He is also the Musical Director for Mac tours, and you can be sure he gets a nice salary for that work (arranging songs, working with the additional musicians and singers to work out how they'll play etc You can see that a bit on the DR doc). The percentages someone cited earlier have to do with shares of the gross (tickets). We don't know for sure what they're shares of merchandising(teeshirts etc) they get. And as noted, he gets paid for being Musical Director (as Waddy does when he's MD for Stevie's tours, etc). He also gets a share not only as performer and as songwriter (two different royalties) on their albums but he also gets the Producer royalty and fees....so he made a lot on FM records.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I agree Lindsey does a lot of work for the band. He is also the Musical Director for Mac tours, and you can be sure he gets a nice salary for that work (arranging songs, working with the additional musicians and singers to work out how they'll play etc You can see that a bit on the DR doc). The percentages someone cited earlier have to do with shares of the gross (tickets). We don't know for sure what they're shares of merchandising(teeshirts etc) they get. And as noted, he gets paid for being Musical Director (as Waddy does when he's MD for Stevie's tours, etc). He also gets a share not only as performer and as songwriter (two different royalties) on their albums but he also gets the Producer royalty and fees....so he made a lot on FM records.
The breakdown of their earnings must be fascinating. I bet it's not so much "salaries" as lump sums, however.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I hate to think she makes more from touring than Mick because its his band. But I would probably believe its a tradition that has existed since 1987.
Plus don't feel bad because I bet 15% with her is more than he'd take home if he split 50-50 with he and John without her. I'm sure that's the only reason those figures fly with any of the other members.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think what Stevie meant was that everyone in the band, regardless of gender, receives equal pay for equal work, not that everyone in the band is paid the same regardless of their individual roles. That is what the Times Up movement is about -- not that men and women are just paid equally, but that they are paid equally for equal work.

Therefore, Lindsey may make more money for producing albums, Stevie, Lindsey and Christine may make more money for writing songs, etc.

Weren't Stevie and Christine tied for third position on the 2015 Forbes list for Highest Paid Female Singers due to Fleetwood Mac's tour that year? I don't know where those numbers come from, but it would imply that no one received more money just for showing up on tour.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
I think what Stevie meant was that everyone in the band, regardless of gender, receives equal pay for equal work, not that everyone in the band is paid the same regardless of their individual roles. That is what the Times Up movement is about -- not that men and women are just paid equally, but that they are paid equally for equal work.

Therefore, Lindsey may make more money for producing albums, Stevie, Lindsey and Christine may make more money for writing songs, etc.

Weren't Stevie and Christine tied for third position on the 2015 Forbes list for Highest Paid Female Singers due to Fleetwood Mac's tour that year? I don't know where those numbers come from, but it would imply that no one received more money just for showing up on tour.
^ This.