Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Gee, Pete(POS),
So you'd rather Stevie died of an overdose in 1986?
Congrats for hitting a new LOW on this board.
Wishing death is disgusting
Oh, aren't we clutching our pearls tightly!

Settle down, he is not wishing death on Stevie. He is just saying that the tragedy of her early death due to drugs would have catapulted her to legendary status ala Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, etc. For example, Vincent Van Gogh could barely give his paintings away, let alone sell one during his life. But his mythology was born the day he died (under mysterious circumstances) and now he is a household name.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if I mentioned this before but I'll say it now. I think she needs to ditch the corsets. I think they're actually making her look bigger. She should wear something that sinches in at the chest and then flows out underneath. I think it'd be so much more flattering.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in the late 80's I just loved the RAL-album (and later Street Angel as well), nowadays I think they sound outdated :-)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererJP View Post
Back in the late 80's I just loved the RAL-album (and later Street Angel as well), nowadays I think they sound outdated :-)
I don’t care for RAL and OSOTM because, as much as I love 80s music, I HATE that sound for Stevie’s songs.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I don’t care for RAL and OSOTM because, as much as I love 80s music, I HATE that sound for Stevie’s songs.
RAL has come full circle for me. I loved it when it first came out and then I shunned it because of its dated production. Today I love it again because, of all her solo albums, it used a wide palette of sounds, traipsed through multiple genres, included original songs and songs written by/with others, etc. It's the album where Stevie really experimented with grooves that would not sound out of place on a Madonna album ("Sister Honey") or an Aretha Franklin album ("Some Become Strangers") or a Eurythmics album ("If I Were You"), as well as a Tom Petty album ("Imperial Hotel") or a Dolly Parton album ("I Sing for the Things"). It's like Stevie's own "Coat of Many Colors." Stevie, nearing middle age, was at the crossroads of her life, her health, her career... and it seemed like she was just throwing all caution to the wind. It's like that final brilliant sunset before the fog of self-doubt, tranquilizers and irrelevance set in.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
RAL has come full circle for me. I loved it when it first came out and then I shunned it because of its dated production. Today I love it again because, of all her solo albums, it used a wide palette of sounds, traipsed through multiple genres, included original songs and songs written by/with others, etc. It's the album where Stevie really experimented with grooves that would not sound out of place on a Madonna album ("Sister Honey") or an Aretha Franklin album ("Some Become Strangers") or a Eurythmics album ("If I Were You"), as well as a Tom Petty album ("Imperial Hotel") or a Dolly Parton album ("I Sing for the Things"). It's like Stevie's own "Coat of Many Colors." Stevie, nearing middle age, was at the crossroads of her life, her health, her career... and it seemed like she was just throwing all caution to the wind. It's like that final brilliant sunset before the fog of self-doubt, tranquilizers and irrelevance set in.
I really enjoy reading your posts. As soon as you put I Sing For the Things and Dolly Parton in the same sentence, I found myself nodding- that song is not a favorite of mine by any means, but I could totally see Dolly singing this, and well. RAL is the one Stevie album I can pretty much listen to track by track without skipping any songs. Even Sister Honey, as odd as it is, is entertaining. The Wild Heart was kind of dark and somber, while RAL is all over the place- pop, rock, dance, ballad, all present and accounted for. When people say it sounds dated, I think "so what?" So do albums by Madonna, New Kids on the Block, the Beatles, and Michael Jackson. So who cares?
Old 10-29-2018, 09:46 PM
Ledgie

Late to the party, loved reading a lot of these "unpopular Stevie opinions"...I thought I had quite a few (and some of you said variations on them better than I would). Basically, I have one major one.

STEVIE NICKS DIDN'T WRITE "I Don't Want to Know". Maybe it's the other LB/SN co-write (like "Frozen Love") but it only exists in live form from their last shows right before FM and in working versions from the [I]Rumours[I] sessions with LB singing. If other versions exist, let me know and I'll "retract"...

She didn't write it at all. Possible supporting points:
—Her other Rumours era songs were all too long, too (Planets, Dealer)...
—The song that became "The Chain" was obviousy used in that...
—They weren't gonna put "Forest of the Black Roses" on there, that's for sure!
—The other songs BN were working on for their 2nd album got used on the 1975 white album (is it "Lola" that has the guitar part very similar to "The Chain"? That'd be the only thing I can think of from BN that made it as far as 1977)...
—The simplicity of the chords could point to SN, but the simplicity of the lyrics REALLY point to LB ("Holiday Road", "Big Love"...geez, even "In My World"—just three examples of his very sing-songy lyrical sensibility)
—It's the only track not discussed in those Making of Rumours videos (VH1, maybe BBC, too)...
—The "down the line" in both (which is not odd for people who play music together on top of being in a relationship)
—The plain, declarative title could be either of them (her songs got more and more titled like this as the years went on; his were always prosaic (especially on Tusk)

Given that "Silver Springs" was finished and the drama surrounding its removal, I'd say it's a good bet that LB grabbed an old BN number, gave her the writing credit, and that was that.

Anybody know if any of the books about the album mention anything more than the usual story? Some sources say they recorded the entire song, all their parts, before telling her SS was off the record...and..."oh, btw, here's another of yours all ready to sing harmony on..." OKAY. SURE.

Last edited by NurseDJackson; 10-29-2018 at 09:50 PM..
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDJackson View Post
STEVIE NICKS DIDN'T WRITE "I Don't Want to Know".
That's a fun speculation (I like the "conspiracy theory" vibe as well).

Not sure I'd agree about this one though. I find the lyrics are rather jam packed into that song, hence being much more like a Stevie penned tune than a Lindsey one to my ears.
And since her earlier 70s songs had a tendency to be much snappier and poppier in their structure than her later songs, I don't think the length is too indicative. (If this song was released in the 80s or today I'd probably raise my eyebrows.) To me it just sounds like a Stevie-penned "Buckingham Nicks" song, which the two-part vocal harmonies play on. Did Lindsey leave a big mark on the instrumentation and arrangement? No doubt.

Edit: I've re-read your post more closely. A BN co-write that Lindsey gave her the credit (incl. songwriter royalties) for in lieu of Silver Springs being bumped. Fair enough--that is a good theory. (I stick by my take on the other points though.)

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 10-29-2018 at 10:55 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As Stevie got larger so did her fans.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yo Pete, what's wrong with larger fans?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg larger_fans.jpg (65.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-07-2018, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm starting to wonder if Stevie and Lindsey were ever really in a relationship or if its been an act since the very beginning. I find it so hard to believe that these 2 people once loved each other. Especially now.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDJackson View Post
Late to the party, loved reading a lot of these "unpopular Stevie opinions"...I thought I had quite a few (and some of you said variations on them better than I would). Basically, I have one major one.

STEVIE NICKS DIDN'T WRITE "I Don't Want to Know". Maybe it's the other LB/SN co-write (like "Frozen Love") but it only exists in live form from their last shows right before FM and in working versions from the [I]Rumours[I] sessions with LB singing. If other versions exist, let me know and I'll "retract"...

She didn't write it at all. Possible supporting points:
—Her other Rumours era songs were all too long, too (Planets, Dealer)...
—The song that became "The Chain" was obviousy used in that...
—They weren't gonna put "Forest of the Black Roses" on there, that's for sure!
—The other songs BN were working on for their 2nd album got used on the 1975 white album (is it "Lola" that has the guitar part very similar to "The Chain"? That'd be the only thing I can think of from BN that made it as far as 1977)...
—The simplicity of the chords could point to SN, but the simplicity of the lyrics REALLY point to LB ("Holiday Road", "Big Love"...geez, even "In My World"—just three examples of his very sing-songy lyrical sensibility)
—It's the only track not discussed in those Making of Rumours videos (VH1, maybe BBC, too)...
—The "down the line" in both (which is not odd for people who play music together on top of being in a relationship)
—The plain, declarative title could be either of them (her songs got more and more titled like this as the years went on; his were always prosaic (especially on Tusk)

Given that "Silver Springs" was finished and the drama surrounding its removal, I'd say it's a good bet that LB grabbed an old BN number, gave her the writing credit, and that was that.
You got me thinking—for the first time ever!

I bet you're right. I bet this is either Lindsey's song OR it's something they grabbed from the Curtis brothers or somebody similar. Look at the words again. These aren't Stevie's words, they're a guy's words. There's nothing about this on the In Her Own Words site. Has she ever talked about this song from a songwriter's perspective?

Stevie Nicks (and many other women songwriters) would never write, "Now you tell me that I'm crazy/It's nothin' that I didn't know" [that's a man's sense of humor] or "I just want you to feel fine" or "Love keeps right on walking on down the line." That's Lindsey (or another guy). Stevie has never talked about relationships in this manner. The tone and the diction are not hers at all.

Let me check my Rumours Deluxe. There's on cut on here of Lindsey playing electric guitar and singing solo backed by the rhythm section. It fits him like a glove. It's his! It's gotta be his. Since when does he record an entire Nicks song and sing it all the way through as a reference vocal—especially with this much conviction, shouting directions the way he and McVie do on their own songs, indicating verse, chorus, bridge, and so on? THIS IS HIS SONG, PEOPLE! NurseJackson is brilliant on this point. Reconsider this one, RodeoJoe.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow that all fits like a glove and makes perfect sense. It’s also. Ever been played live. It doesn’t seem like a particularly difficult song for them to have done and the whole “only song off of Rumours Never Done live” angle seems too much for Stevie to ever want to pass up. UNLESS like you guys are saying it’s not her song.

And I can take the theory a step further. We never see footage of Stevie singing this song in the studio? Sure we don’t have footage of any recording of the rumours recordings that I know of, but also not one live performance. Do we know if this wasn’t Lindsey’s first and best attempt of mimicking Stevie’s voice with studio trickery?

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok just relistened to the song with headphones and I don’t think that theory can be true. She definitely sang it at least once, but still it’s probably just a harmony turned up over the lead or something like that. He is way more enthused singing the song then Stevie Ever was singing lead (and in 1977 that is always a fact and not occasionally sarcastic)

Either way, I will always say Stevie got really screwed here personally even if she somehow did write it, she had so much better material from this era. Silver Springs is the most famous example, but that might not even be the best other fit. Think About It would’ve been a great compromise.

But in the end it was probably the best choice in the end for the quality and flow of the album. We’d get to hear all those other songs eventually whether officially or unofficially eventually.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default I Don't Wanna Know Your Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Let me check my Rumours Deluxe. There's on cut on here of Lindsey playing electric guitar and singing solo backed by the rhythm section. It fits him like a glove. It's his! It's gotta be his. Since when does he record an entire Nicks song and sing it all the way through as a reference vocal—especially with this much conviction, shouting directions the way he and McVie do on their own songs, indicating verse, chorus, bridge, and so on? THIS IS HIS SONG, PEOPLE! NurseJackson is brilliant on this point. Reconsider this one, RodeoJoe.
That's some good clue-finding there, with the Rumours Deluxe cut.
I'll definitely concede that Lindsey sounds super enthused.

We should keep in mind that back in those days you have Lindsey singing "Crystal" and he's often singing or sharing lead on Christine's songs.

And there is also the context that at the point of recording Rumours, Stevie was still just the bonus extra that came with Lindsey's recruitment into the band as its leading man--at least from a musical/recording perspective (obviously she very soon came to hold her own with her Rhiannon stage persona and pin-up photogenics).

Here's an alternative angle: It was a Stevie penned demo, which Lindsey was going to sing lead on (maybe because it seemed like more of a guy's song; not entirely convinced on this point, though), but they opted for a Stevie-Lindsey shared vocal after the Silver Springs thing.

I still don't see these "crammed" lyrics as being Lindsey-penned.
The chord simplicity and the somewhat spiral structure of the song are reminiscent of Stevie to me.

It's not as killer a track as Blue Letter for them to have bought it from someone else, I would have thought.

EDIT: It's a fascinating topic because this is a track on RUMOURS, so I'm inclined to choose this as my question to ask Lindsey at my upcoming m&g!