The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Pre-Rumours Album?
Peter Green's FM 5 10.87%
Then Play On 12 26.09%
Kiln House 2 4.35%
Future Games 3 6.52%
Bare Trees 9 19.57%
Penguin 1 2.17%
Mystery To Me 11 23.91%
Heroes Are Hard To Find 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva View Post
You must get "Bare Trees" - I demand it!

LOL okay. well, i have promised someone else a different one first, but after that, BT it is
Old 04-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I vote for Mystery to Me. It is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album of all time, Rumours-lineup albums included. The five Bob Welch era albums are my favorites of the entire history of the band. Bare Trees is currently running a close second; I have really been digging Danny Kirwan's songs lately.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Heroes is my fav album out of all the FM albums
Old 04-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd have to say Mystery to Me, and then Bare Trees and Pious Bird of Good Omen are tied for second.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Only ones I've heard are Peter Green's FM, Then Play On, and Bare Trees. Out of those, I like PG's FM the best. TPO is okay, a bit too loud for my taste - I like Rattlesnake Shake a lot, though. Bare Trees is more or less unlistenable to me, and I can't see myself getting anymore albums from the Bob Welch period. Kiln House is a possibility at some point, though, as are the other Peter Green-era albums.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Bare Trees is more or less unlistenable to me, and I can't see myself getting anymore albums from the Bob Welch period.
Really? I love Danny Kirwan's songs on that album. Some of my favorite FM songs there. Christine's aren't bad, either.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
..I can't see myself getting anymore albums from the Bob Welch period.
You'd be missing out on a lot of great music. Especially Mystery To Me.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden View Post
Really? I love Danny Kirwan's songs on that album. Some of my favorite FM songs there. Christine's aren't bad, either.
Well, to be fair, I did pull out Then Play On and Bare Trees and listen to them, which I had not done in a couple of years, at least. You're right, Danny Kirwan's songs are pretty good (though I don't really like Danny's Chant, especially the first part with the annoying guitar reverb, or whatever that is). As for Bob Welch, The Ghost is a pleasant enough song, but I cannot stand Sentimental Lady. I can understand why others like it, and it's not a matter of it being a bad song, it's just a matter of taste. Christine's songs are decent, but in listening to her earlier stuff, I can't help but think that Lindsey brought out the best in her; that, and her songwriting itself just improved over the years.

I'm not quite sure why I remember Then Play On being "too loud." I think I like it the best out of the three "Pre-BN" albums that I have. I don't love every song, but a lot of them are very, very good. They were moving away from being sort of a blues copy-cat group, and it was a good move.

It also seems like Mick & John's playing is way more up front on these earlier albums than in the BN era. Especially after Rumours (and probably after the FM album), it's almost like they're not even there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
You'd be missing out on a lot of great music. Especially Mystery To Me.
Hmm. I'm actually curious about Future Games, but especially when it was just him and Christine, I'm a little skeptical. If there are too many more Sentimental Ladys on the other albums, I'm not sure I could deal.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmm. I'm actually curious about Future Games, but especially when it was just him and Christine, I'm a little skeptical. If there are too many more Sentimental Ladys on the other albums, I'm not sure I could deal.
Don't pigeonhole Welch due to "Sentimental Lady". It maybe his most generally recognizable tune, but not nearly his best. Mystery To Me & Heroes Are Hard To Find contain Welch's best songs with Fleetwood Mac.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Don't pigeonhole Welch due to "Sentimental Lady". It maybe his most generally recognizable tune, but not nearly his best. Mystery To Me & Heroes Are Hard To Find contain Welch's best songs with Fleetwood Mac.
I could not agree more. Check out Heroes and MTM before you throw in the towel with Bob W. "Semtimental Lady" isn't a bad song but it has never been my fav of his. I wouldn't judge him by Bare Trees (Although, I really like the album)

Last edited by Dreamz19; 04-09-2007 at 06:43 PM..
Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
LOL okay. well, i have promised someone else a different one first, but after that, BT it is
I am gonna be nosy and ask which one? ...I also second that you should get Bare Trees
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad we got you to pull the albums back out, Mark!

I think you'll find that Bob is usually better than "Sentimental Lady." Definitely give his MTM stuff a shot. I adore all of his songs on that album, save for "The City," maybe, which I'm lukewarm about. I'm not a fan of "Sentimental Lady," at this point either, so I hear ya about that one.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden View Post
I'm glad we got you to pull the albums back out, Mark!

I think you'll find that Bob is usually better than "Sentimental Lady." Definitely give his MTM stuff a shot. I adore all of his songs on that album, save for "The City," maybe, which I'm lukewarm about. I'm not a fan of "Sentimental Lady," at this point either, so I hear ya about that one.
I may very well pick up Mystery to Me. I listened to the clips on Amazon, and it sounded really good. So, who knows?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamz19 View Post
I am gonna be nosy and ask which one? ...I also second that you should get Bare Trees
Future Games, but BT will be the very next one after that

btw-I love all of those pictures in your sig
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, it's so damn hard to say which one to get first because those 1970-74 albums are generally VERY good and are vastly different from one another. The difference between Kiln House and Future Games, for example, is enormous, which is understandable, given the lineup changes. But the difference between Bare Trees and Future Games is almost equally dramatic---and it's the same lineup. I love every album from that period. Fork over a few bucks, Markolas, and buy 'em all! LOL.