Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile 'Behind The Mask' chart success and failure

This album really intrigues me as it is one of the only mac albums which had very mixed successes.
The album could be looked upon as very successful in the UK as it debuted at #1, sold over 300,000 copies (any first week sales or up to date sales would be appreciated), and is their last number 1 album there even though it is now 24 years old.
However, in the US it only reached #18 and only ever sold around 500,000 copies. Again, any first week sales or up to date sales would be appreciated.
If anyone knows any worldwide sales or any information to do with this subject, please post it!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I bought it!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Don't have the complete breakdown but I think it sold 2 mil worldwide. Yeah I think it was a success in the UK but not really in the US. Not sure in other countries though.

John
Old 03-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As big as Tango was in the U.S., wasn't it even bigger in the U.K. as well? The subsequent success of BTM makes sense since they were still riding high on their previous album.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
As big as Tango was in the U.S., wasn't it even bigger in the U.K. as well? The subsequent success of BTM makes sense since they were still riding high on their previous album.
Tango was huge in the UK..3 singles went 10 ten there and it hit number one both in '87 and '88..BTM definitely rode it's coattails.BTM was a flop here in the states compared to all the multi-million selling ,hit single laden" Rumours five "albums that preceded it.At least it charted though Time didn't even do that.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
The album could be looked upon as very successful in the UK as it debuted at #1, sold over 300,000 copies
However, in the US it only reached #18 and only ever sold around 500,000 copies.
Comparatively, having a #1 in the UK is similar to it reaching #18 in the US. The US market is so much larger than the UK. Hitting #1 in the US is a rather big deal. Even though BTM never cracked the Top 10 in the US, it still sold more copies (approx 500,000) than in the UK (300,000) in spite of the grandeur of charting positions.

Last edited by Richard B; 03-24-2014 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is 500,000 still certified as platinum in the U.K.? As far as I know it's still gold status in the U.S., but given the state of music sales they should probably rethink these designations...