User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dennis Dunstan on Macsters

[Hermit?]

Star wrangler: former Fleetwood Mac manager Dennis Dunstan calls Sunshine Coast home

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-0...-coast/6918626

ABC Sunshine Coast 11/6/2015 Jon Coghill and John Caruso

Fleetwood Mac may be selling out stadiums on their Australian tour this month, but it is a little known fact that their former manager was born in Australia and now lives on the Sunshine Coast.

Dennis Dunstan left his home town of Glenroy, Victoria in the late 1960s and travelled the world in his late teens and 20s as a session drummer.

He became a sought-after manager in the 1970s, and in 1981 began managing Fleetwood Mac

The relationship would last until the late 1990s.

Mr Dunstan said the hardest part of managing a huge band like Fleetwood Mac had been keeping the members happy.

"This was five different people all with different personalities and idiosyncrasies," he said.

"One of the biggest things for me was getting to know those idiosyncrasies and those egos."

Mr Dunstan still remains close to all of the members and hopes to catch up with them this month.

"I talk to Mick (Fleetwood) and Christine (McVie) every week," he said.

"With Stevie (Nicks), she is surrounded by her entourage so it's very, very hard.

"Lindsey (Buckingham) is a hermit and John (McVie) is always on his yacht travelling around the Bahamas."

Mr Dunstan proudly holds an enviable record with Fleetwood Mac, in that they only missed one gig while he was at the helm.

"Mick Fleetwood had indulged the night before, maybe a little more than he should have, in various things," Mr Dunstan said.

"For us to walk up on stage and say, 'Ladies and gentlemen, the band will not be performing tonight' [was tough]."

Mr Dunstan decided to call Noosa home when he returned to Australia in 2004.

"That's where dad brought us for the three-day trek in the 60s and I always wanted to have a holiday home there. Now that's where I live," he said.

"I lived out of a suitcase in five-star hotels and Lear jets for 17 years. When it stopped it took me about a year to come down from that."

Mr Dunstan still actively manages bands across Australia and the US, and shares his knowledge of the industry with university lectures across the country.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Thanks for posting this. Gosh the stories this guy could tell. The Mac members loved him. I think he managed Christine in 1984. And wasn't that Dennis walking Stevie to the stage for her HBO solo concert?
This guy needs to write a book
Old 11-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dennis Dunstan lives not that far from me, i remember before the Mac cancelled their last tour, Dennis mentioned in an article that he was looking forward to showing the band around his home town.. i wonder if they will visit this time around? Anyway i plan on being on the lookout over the next few days just in case.

Yep, perfect candidate to write THAT book..
Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
And wasn't that Dennis walking Stevie to the stage for her HBO solo concert?
No, that's her security guy Greg Thomason. There's a picture of him and his wife Christie in the 'Wild Heart' tour book.

Christie Thomason was Stevie's make-up lady for her earlier solo tours. That's probably her in the clip of Stevie singing 'Wild Heart' back stage while being made up.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
No, that's her security guy Greg Thomason. There's a picture of him and his wife Christie in the 'Wild Heart' tour book.

Christie Thomason was Stevie's make-up lady for her earlier solo tours. That's probably her in the clip of Stevie singing 'Wild Heart' back stage while being made up.
in typical Mac fashion, Christie is now with Ray Lindsey.