The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love the Fender Rhodes, but I don't really know what the different models sound like. They're all very similar, but I understand the Mark V sounds different than the previous Rhodes models.

Chris DID record with the Hohner Pianet, but only on early Fleetwood Mac albums. I wish I could tell you which songs. I have a CD that a friend made me of early FM and the Christine Perfect albums from his vinyl collection and there is definitely some Hohner on there. Unfortunately, I don't have the track listing (it's gone missing!). [Consults with iTunes]

I think I hear a bit on Homeward Bound from Bare Trees. I think I hear some on Bare Trees as well.
The tremolo electric piano on Prove Your Love from Heroes Are Hard to Find sounds like a Hohner to me. Too dark sounding to be a Rhodes.
Hypnotized from Mystery to Me has a tremolo Pianet on the right side, and a Vox Continental Organ on the left.

There are a couple other songs I can't seem to find on Fleetwood Mac albums, so they may be off the Christine Perfect album. When I find that track list I'll let you know. But anyways, there's some proof for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I already have the CD imported from wherever . . . Japan, I think.

Is Chris playing a Rhodes Suitcase model or a Rhodes Stage model? It had to be the Suitcase, which was first introduced in 1965. The Stage wasn't introduced until 1971 (as the Mk 1). Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?

This new reissue probably won't have anything different on it, but it might be a better remaster job, which affects playback quality, which influences our moods & our humor, for good or for ill.

Why would anyone reissue this thing? There can't be more than 1,500 people worldwide who want it, or even know it. I bet more people would be the Christine McVie concert on a DVD.

I really don't think the Fleetwood Macsters are utmost in the minds of the kids who operate the labels & distribution companies. It's actually pretty amazing when anything gets reissued.

When Chris played the bridge solo on "Landslide" in 1975 - 1978, did she use a Suitecase or a Stage model? I think she used the Suitcase. In fact, to record or play live, I don't think she ever used the Stage model. I've never heard that particular Stage sound, either on record or on concert tape. What are your thoughts? Anyone think otherwise?

There's Rhodes all over the Legendary Christine Perfect album. What are your thoughts as to why Christine seemingly never recorded with the Hohner? My thinking is that the Hohner, while totally appropriate to the onstage sonic caterwauling of a typical rock band, would have sounded messy on record: the instrument has a very shallow, raspy breathing, & tends to key-click almost like a Hammond.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:55 PM

this is great news!!!