User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Tina Turner and Carole King! I had no idea that they weren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for their solo careers - I guess I just assumed they were. I mean the "Private Dancer" and especially "Tapestry" albums alone should have sealed the deal with these ladies. Two of my favorites records of all time. I've seen Tina in concert six times (once when Lindsey opened for her which was cool) and she danced longer and harder than her much younger dancers up on that stage. And I only saw Carole King once with James Taylor and she was so very good. I've seen the musical "Beautiful" twice and it is a remarkable tribute to all the beautiful music she created.

I also can't believe Warren Zevon, the Doobie Brothers, Joe Cocker and Todd Rundgren aren't in the hall. At least Todd was in the discussion this year.
Everybody should remember that Carole King and Tina Turner can still be nominated and inducted for their solo career. From the way people are talking, you would think this was the last induction ceremony ever

Keith, I'm sure the Doobie Brothers, Todd Rundgren and the others will eventually be nominated and inducted. Not everyone makes it in the first time they've been nominated.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Some say Janet has been really influential and that Rhythm Nation changed pop music forever. Madonna was a big game changer too and a massive success. Pat Benatar on the other hand was pretty ordinary in her day. Fully agree about Carole King though, if anyone should be in the hall it is her.
You are showing your age Pat Benatar was anything but ordinary. She was dubbed the Queen of Rock in the early 80's. She won multiple Grammy Awards and American Music Awards. While she was huge on rock radio, she had 15 Top 40 hits.
Her song "You better run" was the second video ever played on MTV. MTV made a statement with "Video killed the radio star" but when it was down to business, Pat Benatar got the nod to lead off the channel.
One of the biggest cult classics movies of the 80's was Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Remember the scene in the cafeteria " Oh my god, that girl looks just like Pat Benatar" Response: "There are 4 other girls here who also look just like Pat Benatar"
She was a trail blazer. Unreal, her 1980 Crimes of Passion album hit #2 right behind John Lennon. Unheard of from a solo female rock artist at that time. John Lennon was just killed and no one was going to replace Double Vision at the #1 spot.
Ironically that album was produced by Keith Olsen. As a Stevie fan in the 80s it was very frustrating watching music awards shows seeing Pat beat out Stevie year after year. IMHO, Pat should have been inducted first round, first year
Big difference here. Madonna's image is what made her a star. Pat's music is what made her a star. Unlike Madonna, they copied her style because of her artistry. Madonna was simple shock value, rolling around on stage in a wedding dress, etc. No comparison at all. Madonna does not perform a majority of her music from her early years (she is not proud of it and its cheezy, those are her take, not mine). Pat could perform every song she has written and sung and they are not dated, or silly. Many of Madonna's biggest hits, she would never do in concert. That tells you something about the music.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-19-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always loved Pat Benatar and agree 100% that she should have been in there already. Growing up I felt that Pat and Stevie were the most popular female rockers, at least on the rock radio stations we listened to in New York.

With Joan Jett, Chrissie Hynde, Heart and now Stevie being in, I hope Pat gets in there eventually. The only annoying thing about her now is that she’s putting Neil Geraldo’s name out there. You are not Hall & Oates! She will always be a solo artist to me. Neil must be starving for attention.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Neither Pat nor Stevie should get in before Kate Bush ..as a full blown artist who did it all musically they are not even close .Kate also has 4 or 5 of what are IMO 5 star albums . Stevie has one and Pat has zero..again just my opinion .

Old 12-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Neither Pat nor Stevie should get in before Kate Bush ..as a full blown artist who did it all musically they are not even close .Kate also has 4 or 5 of what are IMO 5 star albums . Stevie has one and Pat has zero..again just my opinion .
Who????????
Old 12-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Who????????
Kate Bush (in case you're not being sarcastic and US. centric )..her career predates Pat's and Stevie's solo career though she is younger than both .She has basically just had a cult following in the US. but is an institution in her native Britain where she recently had something like 8 of her albums in the UK top 50. She is very influential .There would likely be no Bjork or Tori Amos if not for Kate.She writes all of her material, plays multiple instruments and has produced many of her own album some of which like 1985's Hounds of Love and the more recent Aerial are masterpieces .If we are going to qualify someone for the Hall of Fame on pure artistry and influence she would be hard to beat not only by most women but also men. She should have gotten in as soon as she was eligible which would have been 2003.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Kate Bush (in case you're not being sarcastic and US. centric )..her career predates Pat's and Stevie's solo career though she is younger than both .She has basically just had a cult following in the US. but is an institution in her native Britain where she recently had something like 8 of her albums in the UK top 50. She is very influential .There would likely be no Bjork or Tori Amos if not for Kate.She writes all of her material, plays multiple instruments and has produced many of her own album some of which like 1985's Hounds of Love and the more recent Aerial are masterpieces .If we are going to qualify someone for the Hall of Fame on pure artistry and influence she would be hard to beat not only by most women but also men. She should have gotten in as soon as she was eligible which would have been 2003.
Running up that Hill is my favorite from her. Also, I like Wuthering Heights, which Pat remade. I think Kate is well known in Europe. Not soo much here. They built her up in England but I thought she was hard to get into. I’m not that big of a fan.

Last edited by Jondalar; 12-19-2018 at 04:47 PM..
Old 12-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Running up that Hill is my favorite from her. Also, I like Wuthering Heights, which Pat remade. I think Kate is well known in Europe. Not soo much here. They built her up in England but I thought she was hard to get into. I’m not that big of a fan.
Benatar's cover is terrible. Kate is a bit hard to swallow for middle America or she would have been huge here.. Nonetheless by artistic merit alone she deserves to be in.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Benatar's cover is terrible. Kate is a bit hard to swallow for middle America or she would have been huge here.. Nonetheless by artistic merit alone she deserves to be in.
I think both versions are good. She does remind me of Tori Amos. I hate Babooshka. I thought that song was stupid. Her duet with Peter Gabriel was good though. She has a strong voice.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I think both versions are good. She does remind me of Tori Amos. I hate Babooshka. I thought that song was stupid. Her duet with Peter Gabriel was good though. She has a strong voice.

I love Babooshka! Perfect example .It was a top 5 smash in the UK and some other countries but would never fly here.It was too artsy and eccentric . Just like the song Tusk never would have either had it not been the follow up single to Rumours . May the Gods bless Mr. Buckingham.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You are showing your age Pat Benatar was anything but ordinary. She was dubbed the Queen of Rock in the early 80's. She won multiple Grammy Awards and American Music Awards. While she was huge on rock radio, she had 15 Top 40 hits.
Her song "You better run" was the second video ever played on MTV. MTV made a statement with "Video killed the radio star" but when it was down to business, Pat Benatar got the nod to lead off the channel.
One of the biggest cult classics movies of the 80's was Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Remember the scene in the cafeteria " Oh my god, that girl looks just like Pat Benatar" Response: "There are 4 other girls here who also look just like Pat Benatar"
She was a trail blazer. Unreal, her 1980 Crimes of Passion album hit #2 right behind John Lennon. Unheard of from a solo female rock artist at that time. John Lennon was just killed and no one was going to replace Double Vision at the #1 spot.
Ironically that album was produced by Keith Olsen. As a Stevie fan in the 80s it was very frustrating watching music awards shows seeing Pat beat out Stevie year after year. IMHO, Pat should have been inducted first round, first year
Big difference here. Madonna's image is what made her a star. Pat's music is what made her a star. Unlike Madonna, they copied her style because of her artistry. Madonna was simple shock value, rolling around on stage in a wedding dress, etc. No comparison at all. Madonna does not perform a majority of her music from her early years (she is not proud of it and its cheezy, those are her take, not mine). Pat could perform every song she has written and sung and they are not dated, or silly. Many of Madonna's biggest hits, she would never do in concert. That tells you something about the music.
I am 62. Pat sure was popular in her day. Still not seeing the groundbreaking influential aspect though, sorry.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love Babooshka! Perfect example .It was a top 5 smash in the UK and some other countries but would never fly here.It was too artsy and eccentric . Just like the song Tusk never would have either had it not been the follow up single to Rumours . May the Gods bless Mr. Buckingham.
Kate is a true artist and IMO belongs in any gallery of the all time greats. Her creativity and innovativeness are what Stevie could have been despite her lack of technical musical talent. Stevie had the songwriting talent and the voice, if only she had had a producer like Kate or had hung around with her instead of Tom Petty....
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, Stevie’s live shows are more of an extension of her albums then almost any performer. That’s truly the core to her artistry as far as I’m concerned. In fact I’d say where she takes songs live is way more unique to Stevie then any particular album or songs. Street Angel May be subpar but the House of Blues 94 album is probably my favorite live album of one show by anyone including Fleetwood Mac’s rumours reissues. I’m sure live performances are a consideration of the hall. And who knows, maybe some of the voters on the hall have heard her extensive unlreleased catalog too.

But she does still have 2 multi platinum albums and I feel the Wild Heart is far better then Bella Donna. Where are all the lefties who feel that way? There use to be a bunch, now it’s all “she had 1 great album.” And I happen to think that 1
Great album sucks or at least could’ve been way better. And The Bella Donna Tour was probably her weakest outside of 1989-1991 and 2001-2010.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually after re reading what I just wrote, that may explain why Stevie hammered home the point hard on every 24KG that she had 2 hugely successful albums. I used to scoff at the 2 million but im shocked by how many famous albums by other artists sold less then that. Multiplatinum to any degree is impressive.

And Stevie reminded audiences of that every night. She’s been campaigning for this for sure.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-19-2018, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Actually after re reading what I just wrote, that may explain why Stevie hammered home the point hard on every 24KG that she had 2 hugely successful albums. I used to scoff at the 2 million but im shocked by how many famous albums by other artists sold less then that. Multiplatinum to any degree is impressive.

And Stevie reminded audiences of that every night. She’s been campaigning for this for sure.
TimeSpace was very close to being multi-Platinum. I think Crystal Visions may have ruined that.