Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I've been making that point for over ten years. Combined, at the time, I think Out Of The Cradle, Street Angel, and Time sold 350K copies. It's hard to place the blame of Time's lack of success on Stevie or Lindsey not being there. The Rumours band not only needed each other for some semblance of commercial success, they also needed the support of the record company and the media, which they got with The Dance. Without that, even if they had recorded one album at that time, it would probably still have tanked by Fleetwood Mac standards. And, Behind The Mask and SYW were about the same in sales, so I have a real hard time saying that Stevie, Lindsey, or Christine are individual saviors of Fleetwood Mac., that without them, Fleetwood Mac might as well pack them in.
I didn't include album sales in my argument, because following Tango, the Mac (and it's solo members) had ceased being an album selling enterprise. They'd aged out of that game. And that would have been the case regardless of whoever was in the band. Concert sales obviously, are another story. The Behind The Mask and Say You Will tours were both pretty successful ventures, despite their backing lackluster selling albums. The Time tour? Not so much. Some of that could certainly be attributed to the times... Fleetwood Mac were about the most uncool band in the market during the reign of Pearl Jam and Nirvana. And the public also loves to tear celebs down so they can simply build them back up. In that case, you could argue ANYTHING the band did in '95 would have flopped. But could the band have succeeded had it continued on past '95 without Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham? I just don't think so.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post

I didn't include album sales in my argument, because following Tango, the Mac (and it's solo members) had ceased being an album selling enterprise. They'd aged out of that game.
Yeah, I don't think they realized that at the time.

Quote:
Concert sales obviously, are another story. The Behind The Mask and Say You Will tours were both pretty successful ventures, despite their backing lackluster selling albums. The Time tour? Not so much.
They never actually did a proper tour for Time. They stopped touring BEFORE the album was released, and only did a corporate show after it came out.

However, it's not like Stevie's touring for Street Angel was all that big. And Lindsey opened for Tina Turner. In fact, Lindsey's album rave reviews and he even made videos for it, and it only sold about the same as Time.

Quote:
In that case, you could argue ANYTHING the band did in '95 would have flopped. But could the band have succeeded had it continued on past '95 without Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham? I just don't think so.
I absolutely think it could have. But, they would've had to work with a changing paradigm. But, to do that, they would've had to get over the notion that the band is a "supergroup" and move more towards being a creative entity.

If they could've gone a little more country, there was a huge alt.country movement going on at that time that they could have capitalized on. This is the scene that brought the likes of Lucinda Williams, Uncle Tupelo/Wilco/Son Volt, and Steve Earl to the forefront. Bekka Bramlett and Billy Burnette could have easily lead the band down that road. With Christine out of the picture, the band would've needed to part company with Dave Mason and maybe bring in somebody like John's friend Mick Taylor, who was instrumental in helping the Rolling Stones craft their country sound. I'm not saying that there would have been huge concert sales, but there would've been a consistent fan base. I easily see them being able to hang with the likes of Wilco, who usually draw huge crowds at mid-sized venues.

THE Stephen Hopkins