Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie and Prince

Interestingly, Stevie herself has never mentioned watching the 'Stand Back' video with Prince. She probably doesn't even remember as she was doing so much coke at the time.

This comes from Brad Jeffries' 'Quora' page, where he's asked who was a better dancer - Michael Jackson or Prince?

-------------

Brad's answer:

Michael.

Prince was a bone fide musical genius though.

Not to take away from Michael's enormous talent, but he was known to be driven down to Compton and South Central Los Angeles, find a young street dancer who he would invite back to his estate and have the boy teach him the “original” Michael signature moves such as the Moonwalk. Then after 4 or 5 days, give the boy some money and have him dropped back in his “Home” neighborhood. Then when Michael would debut his famous Moonwalk later in the 80’s on Motown’s reunion special, the whole world was comparing him to the likes of Fred Astaire.

Now that doesn’t take away the fact that Michael WAS a dancer. He had the talent and drive to rehearse and perfect his moves with the true fire and intensity found in real Dancers. I remember watching a young Michael with his brothers' debut as The Jackson 5, and even at that young age, Michael had the true gift of being both vocally and physically talented.

Prince, on the other hand, was like a modern day Mozart. That man was pure genius. There will never be another like him I believe. But dance was NOT one of his God given talents. He worked hard to execute some moves for his shows borrowing moves from James Brown among other classic showmen, which I believe contributed to his chronic hip pain and eventual fatal dependence on painkillers (allegedly).

I met both men during my career and was more honored to have spent a couple of occasions in the Purple One’s presence. Upon watching a music video I had danced in with Stevie Nicks, (Prince had contributed a synth track that really “made” the song), he turned to me and smiled and said quite sincerely, "I wish I could turn like you”, with his signature quiet tone. I was sitting on a couch between Stevie and Prince at the time, as Stevie was showing it to us on the eve of its M.T.V. debut the following day, and I was so shocked by his compliment I believe I mumbled something inane like, “Well I wish I could do EVERYTHING else like YOU”. Hey, I was 22 at the time and still young enough to get tongue tied in the presence of greatness. Fun times".

https://www.quora.com/Who-was-a-better-dancer-Michael-Jackson-or-Prince target= "blank"
Old 12-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great find, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Wow, incredible story. I cant imagine being 22 and on a couch between Prince and Stevie.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the link, Greendaze! I read more of Brad's Q&As, and they were very interesting. I've had a crush on Brad ever since I saw him in the Stand Back video. Anyway, it was great reading more about Brad.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks for the link, Greendaze! I read more of Brad's Q&As, and they were very interesting. I've had a crush on Brad ever since I saw him in the Stand Back video. Anyway, it was great reading more about Brad.
Yep, he was a hottie in the 'If Anyone Falls' video.

I dropped him a letter about 2 years ago, and he was nice enough to reply. He works as a physical therapist these days.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie has always maintained that she and Prince were real friends. This anecdote seems to lend credence to the idea that they actually did hang out beyond the more well-known encounters!

Thank you for sharing!