User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That and the fact he only had three big hits with Fleetwood Mac.
It's interesting that Stevie didn't have a big hit in the United Kingdom with Fleetwood Mac. Christine ruled the UK Chart with FM. Lindsey had 3 hits with FM in the United Kingdom.

OSOTM was really big for Stevie in the United Kingdom. That was the last time she did a solo European Tour. She's played Hyde Park twice but both was opening sets for Rod Stewart and Tom Petty.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I just think radio was moving on, leaving a lot of the classic bands behind at that time.
It's surprising that FM got left behind in the US considering their total album sales then. Van Halen, Stones, Bruce, and AC/DC were still doing well in late 80s and early 90s.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
It's interesting that Stevie didn't have a big hit in the United Kingdom with Fleetwood Mac. Christine ruled the UK Chart with FM. Lindsey had 3 hits with FM in the United Kingdom.

OSOTM was really big for Stevie in the United Kingdom. That was the last time she did a solo European Tour. She's played Hyde Park twice but both was opening sets for Rod Stewart and Tom Petty.
Yeah amazing that Lindsey had as many top ten hits in England with Fleetwood Mac as he did in the U.S. Christine only had 2 ..her Tango singles but they were huge.I think that Stevie never translated as well in the U.K because she was more distinctly American She was much bigger in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:06 AM

1 Brown Eyes
2 Honey Hi
3 Over and Over
4 Think About Me
5 Never Make Me Cry
6 Never Forget.

That's for you, Tony!
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Over My Head was never a favorite of mine, EXCEPT for the "Live 1980" album. I LOVE that version! That rocking guitar intro!
I agree too. They should have used a similar intro at The Dance.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
They stripped down a song that's already stripped down. The intro really hammered the song home!
Old 01-14-2021, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
1 Brown Eyes
2 Honey Hi
3 Over and Over
4 Think About Me
5 Never Make Me Cry
6 Never Forget.

That's for you, Tony!
1. Never Forget
2. Brown Eyes
3. Honey Hi
4. Think About Me
5. Over and Over
6. Never Make Me Cry

But the early version of Never Make Me Cry, with the fuller instrumental arrangement is killer—and should have been on the record.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Re: Over My Head, I’m one of those people who think the album version (not single remix) is the supreme version of that song. It’s so spare and mysterious—and her vocal on it is outstanding, a kind of master class example of how much expressiveness can be achieved with a limited range of notes.

The live version from the 70s tours was more spirited and appropriately amped up for the arena, but then that magical vocal, so subtle and personal, is impossible to reproduce for 10,000 people. So, as well as Christine sings on the LIVE version, and as well as the band kicks the song into higher gear, I still prefer that exquisite studio performance.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Re: Over My Head, I’m one of those people who think the album version (not single remix) is the supreme version of that song. It’s so spare and mysterious—and her vocal on it is outstanding, a kind of master class example of how much expressiveness can be achieved with a limited range of notes.

The live version from the 70s tours was more spirited and appropriately amped up for the arena, but then that magical vocal, so subtle and personal, is impossible to reproduce for 10,000 people. So, as well as Christine sings on the LIVE version, and as well as the band kicks the song into higher gear, I still prefer that exquisite studio performance.
I agree but I think the single cuts of all the White Album singles are so much better than the album cuts. And its all because of Lindsey and adding all these guitar licks to Say You Love Me, Rhiannon, and Over My Head. On the original album cut the song almost drifts compared to the single version where so much more guitar was added to give the song more teeth and power IMHO of course. I wish the single versions were on the album. The added guitar parts almost makes the song more up tempo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-lIt1ILzk
Old 01-14-2021, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice to see we all got our awful experiences as Stevie fans out of our system back to the topic at hand:
Ranking these 6 awesome songs in order of greatness:

1. Brown Eyes (Yesterday's Tears Version) by far is the very best of our Songbird put to record, amazing.
2. Over and Over - another beautiful song that actually also sounded good live, like the comments on Over My Head.
3. Think About Me- her second best single ever, behind You Make Loving Fun- and it is better than SYLM or HM.
4. Honey Hi- Those wonderful harmonies and percussion
5. Never Forget- again harmonies and her terrific singing- could have used a bit more punch on the arrangement, but wonderful nonetheless.
6. Never Make Me Cry- reminds me of the Way I feel from Mystery. Again a terrific song but the other 5 are better.

I agree that the studio version of Over My Head is Unmatched although it did translate beautifully to the stage- and Stevie was terrific in her flawless harmonies.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Nice to see we all got our awful experiences as Stevie fans out of our system back to the topic at hand:
Ranking these 6 awesome songs in order of greatness:

1. Brown Eyes (Yesterday's Tears Version) by far is the very best of our Songbird put to record, amazing.
2. Over and Over - another beautiful song that actually also sounded good live, like the comments on Over My Head.
3. Think About Me- her second best single ever, behind You Make Loving Fun- and it is better than SYLM or HM.
4. Honey Hi- Those wonderful harmonies and percussion
5. Never Forget- again harmonies and her terrific singing- could have used a bit more punch on the arrangement, but wonderful nonetheless.
6. Never Make Me Cry- reminds me of the Way I feel from Mystery. Again a terrific song but the other 5 are better.

I agree that the studio version of Over My Head is Unmatched although it did translate beautifully to the stage- and Stevie was terrific in her flawless harmonies.
On Ice , I couldn’t agree more with you assessment of Christine’s Tusk songs. The only point I would make is I do prefer the original version of Brown Eyes. (but love “Tears” version)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
On Ice , I couldn’t agree more with you assessment of Christine’s Tusk songs. The only point I would make is I do prefer the original version of Brown Eyes. (but love “Tears” version)
Me too. Both versions are spectacular but the album version makes more sense for the actual album.

The Yesterday’s Tears version features great guitars and vocals, but the lyrics are a bit aimless—they seem like place-holder words. By contrast, the final album version has a definite atmosphere and aura. The switch from “I’ll always be there for you” to “I’m lusting for you” is effective, very persuasive.

Interestingly, Christine’s magnificent voice on the earlier version functions much like a horn or guitar. What she’s saying is less important than how she’s singing it.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
1. Never Forget
2. Brown Eyes
3. Honey Hi
4. Think About Me
5. Over and Over
6. Never Make Me Cry

But the early version of Never Make Me Cry, with the fuller instrumental arrangement is killer—and should have been on the record.
You really love Never Forget... I love how Christine Starts and Ends Tusk. Which is very circular and profound. I'm gonna have to listen to NF again.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You really love Never Forget... I love how Christine Starts and Ends Tusk. Which is very circular and profound. I'm gonna have to listen to NF again.
I’ve been working through the sheet music arrangement for it and am startled how beautiful the “B” section of the song sounds on a piano.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I’ve been working through the sheet music arrangement for it and am startled how beautiful the “B” section of the song sounds on a piano.
Would really love to hear what you come up with.