Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Behind the Mask Deluxe Edition question

So, if the label releases a Behind the Mask Deluxe Edition, I know there are a number of alternate versions and songs that could be included. My question is, would the label release the Tango tour dvd or CD on a Behind the Mask edition, or on a Tango in the Night Deluxe Edition? The concert supported Tango, but featured the lineup on Behind the Mask. An argument could be made for either case, I think.

On a Behind the Mask Deluxe Edition, I would want the original album remastered. On the second CD, I would love to see As Long As You Follow, No Questions Asked, Paper Doll, Love Shines, Heart of Stone, and the Game of Love included, along with alternate takes. Then the concert dvd with ALL the songs from that concert.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I agree with everything you said. I would love to see and hear it but I don't see them re-releasing the album in any way. The album was not that successful to merit a re-release. That is not me talking...its the record company. In addition, Lindsey is back with the band. It would be an odd thing to do.
But I can imagine the treasures of amazing music hidden somewhere.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are several Rick Vito songs that were never used.
Behind The Mask Deluxe would never see the light of day in a million years.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Tango is released as a Deluxe Edition and does well, I think the label would release one for Behind the Mask. It's just more money to make off a minimal investment!
Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If BTM is released, we should get optional album covers for it in the special edition.

Michele
Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, man, no kidding! I just read the Penquin interviews with Rick Vito and Billy Burnette from 1999 and 2000, and I was shocked to learn the record label chose that cover. All this time I thought the band made that poor decision. Even a picture of a mask would have been better than the final product. Only thing I can think of is the label didn't want buyers to know Lindsey wasn't still in the band- like people didn't already know that!

Btw, the original title of the album was Twist of Fate. I don't think any of the songs had that phrase in the lyrics, though.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
So, if the label releases a Behind the Mask Deluxe Edition, I know there are a number of alternate versions and songs that could be included. My question is, would the label release the Tango tour dvd or CD on a Behind the Mask edition, or on a Tango in the Night Deluxe Edition? The concert supported Tango, but featured the lineup on Behind the Mask. An argument could be made for either case, I think.

On a Behind the Mask Deluxe Edition, I would want the original album remastered. On the second CD, I would love to see As Long As You Follow, No Questions Asked, Paper Doll, Love Shines, Heart of Stone, and the Game of Love included, along with alternate takes. Then the concert dvd with ALL the songs from that concert.
As Long As You Follow and No Questions Asked wouldn't be included as these tracks weren't recorded during the Behind The Mask sessions.

They were recorded a year or more before, especially for the 1988 Greatest Hits album. Both tracks have also since been remastered for The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac in 2002 (2009 in the UK).
Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

True, but I just included those two songs because they were recorded by that particular incarnation of the band. I would also include Paper Doll. Maybe even Love Shines, and Heart of Stone, even though Stevie wasn't on them.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
True, but I just included those two songs because they were recorded by that particular incarnation of the band. I would also include Paper Doll. Maybe even Love Shines, and Heart of Stone, even though Stevie wasn't on them.
Paper Doll ended up on "25 Years – The Chain" 4-CD box set. Wikipedia states that it's a new song, which would mean that it was recorded in 1992. It was however co-written by Nicks, Vito and someone called John Herron. Both Billy Burnette and Rick Vito play on this track.

Love Shines and Heart Of Stone are also listed as new songs on "25 Years – The Chain". Only Billy Burnette plays on Love Shines. I can't find any info on who played on Heart Of Stone.

It is possible that these tracks were actually recorded during the Behind The Mask sessions and were passed off as new tracks when "25 Years – The Chain" was released, seeing as they were previously unreleased and only recorded two years previously.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Paper Doll ended up on "25 Years – The Chain" 4-CD box set. Wikipedia states that it's a new song, which would mean that it was recorded in 1992. It was however co-written by Nicks, Vito and someone called John Herron. Both Billy Burnette and Rick Vito play on this track.

Love Shines and Heart Of Stone are also listed as new songs on "25 Years – The Chain". Only Billy Burnette plays on Love Shines. I can't find any info on who played on Heart Of Stone.

It is possible that these tracks were actually recorded during the Behind The Mask sessions and were passed off as new tracks when "25 Years – The Chain" was released, seeing as they were previously unreleased and only recorded two years previously.
This was discussed recently in another thread...cant remember which one.
The music to Paper Doll was initially written by Rick Vito and John Herron and Stevie then added the words. It was written when he fist joined the band and was suggested for inclusion on Greatest Hits. Mick didnt like it much and it was shelved (No Questions Asked was put on Greatest Hits as a Stevie song instead). When they were doing the box set they dug out Paper Doll. It could have easily appeared on Behind The Mask.