User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I agree they will play "Don't Stop" Didn't mean to imply they wouldn't. My point was I didn't like it when Stevie sang Christine's spots and I can't imagine Neil's lead on LB's vocals here.
For me, "Tusk" is a clear depiction of Lindsey's vision for what he wanted that album to be, culminated by his command of the entire stage for the song live. Based on videos of NF i've seen, I don't see him able to take a crack at that (can't see GYOW either, but at least then he just needs to stand behind a mic and sing)
I wouldn't necessarily want them to play Tusk but I think they could if they wanted to. They needn't play it as it has been over the years and could re-imagine the song. In fact, Stevie could even do all Lindsey's vocals and do a maniacal dance. Of course, it would be a real slap in the face if that happened...so watch this space.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-27-2018, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not playing Tusk is the one benefit of Lindsey
being fired.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly I don’t think any of his songs will be played other than possibly don’t stop which really isn’t his or possibly go your own way which I could live without hearing for the 6 million time. I think they will focus on Stevie and Christine. They may play songs that he sang pieces of but the songs he wrote by himself I don’t think will be included.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I think they'd definitely play Go Your Own Way but probably nothing else by Lindsey (except World Turning). I think Tusk would be the biggest loss- its probably the highlight for me.

Sorry people- I don't quite understand; Why would Neil need to have the 'chops' for Tusk? Also, is there anything really particularly difficult about Tusk?
I wish they would drop GYOW. Not for them, of course. But sadly these people need that song. It's what make fans stand up and dance. Not GDW. Not Dreams. Not Stand Back.

They won't be that stupid.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I wish they would drop GYOW. Not for them, of course. But sadly these people need that song. It's what make fans stand up and dance. Not GDW. Not Dreams. Not Stand Back.

They won't be that stupid.

Lindsey, you're fired, we don't need you anymore--however, we definitely need your song as one of the closers for our concert.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
Lindsey, you're fired, we don't need you anymore--however, we definitely need your song as one of the closers for our concert.
All I was saying is I wouldn’t miss it. I thoroughly enjoyed dancing to stand back and gold dust woman and little lies and you make loving fun.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
All I was saying is I wouldn’t miss it. I thoroughly enjoyed dancing to stand back and gold dust woman and little lies and you make loving fun.
I respect that. I just find all of the narrative amusing. All of those songs are great. And I loved hearing YMLF and LL back in the set list this last tour.
I am more fascinated now by what makes it onto the set list. The interesting aspects to the years Christine wasn't in the band was the songs they put in to fill in the holes. I loved that. I am going to be honest, I wouldn't have interest in hearing DDIO or any TPH stuff at a FM concert. That's my opinion though. I am curious what they throw in. They left "Don't Stop" when Christine left and I would expect them to leave "GYOW" too. I believe Mick (I may be wrong) has stated those 2 songs will always be show "closers" for them. We shall see!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Performance Rights.

I spoke to an atty. friend of mine down here in the Big Easy. She said that publishing rights differ from performance rights. The songwriters typically cede performance rights to the recording entity. Therefore bitter splits rarely wind up taking songs out of a band's set list. So, while Lindsey Stevie Chris hold the publishing rights to the songs. they can't prevent Fleetwood Mac from using them in perpetuity.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here but I always loved NTF in concert, sans the Lindsey maniacal vocals.
In my estimation, the best, wildest, most unhinged jamming that configuration of the band ever did was during the last month of the 1980 tour doing "Not That Funny." I got to see a bunch of shows at that point. It lasted an unbelievably long time, but it had spectacular dynamic range — crashingly loud to whispery soft — and storytelling strength, with suspenseful rising action, climax, and post-orgasm denouement. Those performances were very witty, too, with Lindsey and John mocking each other's riffs in different octaves. If you get the chance to listen to a "Not That Funny" from August 1980, take it.

It's that extreme dynamic variation that separates that era of Fleetwood Mac live from later eras. Listen to the way the band hunkers down in the first few minutes of "World Turning" on the Tusk Deluxe (from 1980 performances), and then lets out with a screaming lead. Compare the momentum and buildup of "The Chain" on Tusk Deluxe with "The Chain" in recent years (from Vito-Burnette to the present). The former slinks across the dynamic spectrum ("powder keg detonation," as Steve Pond put it in a review) in tantalizing sonic stride, whereas later performances became all uniformly forte to fortissimo. It's boring. It's the same problem that dogs Stevie's solo shows. Her band just blasts through on everything, forcing her wizened vocal into a nasally bleat, even on songs you want her to pull back on to create dynamic tension.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-28-2018, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope they dare take on Lindsey songs and will make it painfully obvious, specially to those here-often-mentioned "casual fans" what travesty has happened.

Here's to egg on all their faces. Lots of it.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasja View Post
I hope they dare take on Lindsey songs and will make it painfully obvious, specially to those here-often-mentioned "casual fans" what travesty has happened.

Here's to egg on all their faces. Lots of it.
The only songs they’ll do that had prominent/lead vocals from Lindsey are The Chain, Little Lies, GYOW, World Turning, and Don’t Stop. Most casual fans won’t care who sings those.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-29-2018, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In my estimation, the best, wildest, most unhinged jamming that configuration of the band ever did was during the last month of the 1980 tour doing "Not That Funny." I got to see a bunch of shows at that point. It lasted an unbelievably long time, but it had spectacular dynamic range — crashingly loud to whispery soft — and storytelling strength, with suspenseful rising action, climax, and post-orgasm denouement. Those performances were very witty, too, with Lindsey and John mocking each other's riffs in different octaves. If you get the chance to listen to a "Not That Funny" from August 1980, take it.

It's that extreme dynamic variation that separates that era of Fleetwood Mac live from later eras. Listen to the way the band hunkers down in the first few minutes of "World Turning" on the Tusk Deluxe (from 1980 performances), and then lets out with a screaming lead. Compare the momentum and buildup of "The Chain" on Tusk Deluxe with "The Chain" in recent years (from Vito-Burnette to the present). The former slinks across the dynamic spectrum ("powder keg detonation," as Steve Pond put it in a review) in tantalizing sonic stride, whereas later performances became all uniformly forte to fortissimo. It's boring. It's the same problem that dogs Stevie's solo shows. Her band just blasts through on everything, forcing her wizened vocal into a nasally bleat, even on songs you want her to pull back on to create dynamic tension.
Wow, jealous you got to see some of those shows. I’m convinced, I will go check out some of those recordings now. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I would be shocked if any Lindsey song other than GYOW is performed. It will sound like a FM cover band. I don't even think the band would practice the songs. Plus there is just too much other material to choose from. Someone mentioned TUSK. Good grief could you imagine the song performed by anyone else but Lindsey
Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Someone mentioned TUSK. Good grief could you imagine the song performed by anyone else but Lindsey
I thought Johnny Cash could have done an amazing cover.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-29-2018, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I would be shocked if any Lindsey song other than GYOW is performed. It will sound like a FM cover band. I don't even think the band would practice the songs. Plus there is just too much other material to choose from. Someone mentioned TUSK. Good grief could you imagine the song performed by anyone else but Lindsey
Well, they're already a cover band, so one more song won't make the difference.

I think these people have already passed the point of worrying about how a Lindsey's song would sound if Neil performs it. They don't care. Creativity is at its lowest point.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.