Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Cool! That's that sorted out then - it sounded like Mick to me, but then it just shows you what I know That documentary must be old - I guess we're lucky it's still around at all. Any ideas why mine has Japanese subtitles? Taped from Japanese TV, I guess
Oops, sorry, I was adding further detail to my last post when you replied, so see above.

John
Old 01-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yup, I'm fairly sure that's Mick - I'm just waiting for him to start on with 'These Strange Times'... anyway, who else would talk about African drumming and come out with stuff like a "hypnotic longtime overnight feel"? I don't know who else it would be anyway.

Other stuff on this DVD includes tons of Green-era stuff, including what's on the commercially available video, with other bits like 'Coming Your Way' off the Hugh Hefner 'Playboy After Dark' thing - also the Beat Club 'Dragonfly' video - love that so much. Also we have 'Miles Away' and 'Believe Me' from some kind of Chuck Berry TV show, plus 'Green Manalishi', 'Spare Me A Little' and a lengthy 'Bermuda Triangle' from '74 - and who is the second keyboardist on that show?
I just watched my video again. My tape ends with Chris doing "When The Train Comes Back". You must have extra footage. I have that Dragonfly video as well, also thanks to Lis.

The "Miles Away" & "Believe Me" footage is from the 1973 Midnight Special Television show. It sounds like the 1974 footage you have is the Don Kirshner show, another TV show. I have that also, again thanks to Lis.

bretonbanquet, it sounds like you got some real good stuff on that DVD.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Oops, sorry, I was adding further detail to my last post when you replied, so see above.

John
Yeah, I spotted that - edited my post to make sense
Old 01-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I just watched my video again. My tape ends with Chris doing "When The Train Comes Back". You must have extra footage. I have that Dragonfly video as well, also thanks to Lis.

The "Miles Away" & "Believe Me" footage is from the 1973 Midnight Special Television show. It sounds like the 1974 footage you have is the Don Kirshner show, another TV show. I have that also, again thanks to Lis.

bretonbanquet, it sounds like you got some real good stuff on that DVD.

I have a few seconds after "When The Train Comes Back", which is the British voice I now know to be Alexis Korner saying a little more on the subject. He sounds a lot less like Mick there too

Thanks for pinning down the other songs I have - I thought Bob Weston played really well on that '73 footage. I'm really pleased with this DVD - it's just about 2 hours of solid Mac
Old 01-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also we have 'Miles Away' and 'Believe Me' from some kind of Chuck Berry TV show...
That would be their appearance on Midnight Special in 1973.
Quote:
...plus 'Green Manalishi', 'Spare Me A Little' and a lengthy 'Bermuda Triangle' from '74 - and who is the second keyboardist on that show?
That would be from the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show (and, ahem...I was in the audience, thank you! )...they also aired a lengthy version of "Black Magic Woman", as well. The second keyboardist is (the late) Doug Graves. Bob Welch mentions him in his first Q&A here at the Penguin.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another great Kirshner show highlight was "Rattlsnake Shake." Bob was pretty funny ("just like the Russians are starting to prove with their experimentations with ESP...")

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
That would be from the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show (and, ahem...I was in the audience, thank you! )...they also aired a lengthy version of "Black Magic Woman", as well. The second keyboardist is (the late) Doug Graves. Bob Welch mentions him in his first Q&A here at the Penguin.
Thanks! Doug Graves - now I know who we're talking about. You were there! I am suitably impressed and suitably jealous The more I watch this DVD, the more I like it
Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anyone have any idea when this footage was shot? Was it before Chris officially joined Fleetwood Mac? Was it shot during that little rehearsal period after she joined & before the first tour? Or was it shot after that first tour & before the early 1971 tour when Jeremy left? Anyone have any idea?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea when this footage was shot? Was it before Chris officially joined Fleetwood Mac? Was it shot during that little rehearsal period after she joined & before the first tour? Or was it shot after that first tour & before the early 1971 tour when Jeremy left? Anyone have any idea?
Hard to tell, isn't it? I'm guessing that the footage with the fireworks / bonfire etc was shot around November 5th - hard to see how it could be any other time. But was all the footage shot around the same time?

If we're assuming it was all shot at Benifold, then it has to be after Kiln House was recorded, and that was in June-July 1970. Didn't Christine officially join in August? My guess is that this stuff was filmed a bit after that, around October-November 1970, after the first tour and before the Jan-Feb 1971 tour when Jeremy left.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
That's a good question. i would guess maybe it was in that period after she joined but before the tour. I don't think they would have focused on her as much if she hadn't been a 'real member' of the band by then...?

-Lis
Old 02-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Do we know exactly when Chris joined? After Kiln House but before the first tour, I guess - does that make it July 1970? I think that US tour started on the first day of August, so ... Not sure there was much time between finishing Kiln House and starting that tour, and isn't that when they moved to Benifold as well? Or did they move in to that house after the first tour? God, it's complicated
Old 02-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Do we know exactly when Chris joined? After Kiln House but before the first tour, I guess - does that make it July 1970? I think that US tour started on the first day of August, so ... Not sure there was much time between finishing Kiln House and starting that tour, and isn't that when they moved to Benifold as well? Or did they move in to that house after the first tour? God, it's complicated
I think C joined before they moved to Benifold; she joined when they were still at Kiln House. So maybe that helps answer our question? I think she'd been in the band for awhile when that footage was shot.

-Lis
Old 02-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hard to tell, isn't it? I'm guessing that the footage with the fireworks / bonfire etc was shot around November 5th - hard to see how it could be any other time. But was all the footage shot around the same time?

If we're assuming it was all shot at Benifold, then it has to be after Kiln House was recorded, and that was in June-July 1970. Didn't Christine officially join in August? My guess is that this stuff was filmed a bit after that, around October-November 1970, after the first tour and before the Jan-Feb 1971 tour when Jeremy left.
Ok, this makes sense to me now. At first I thought this might have been filmed at Kiln House. If it's Benifold, then it's got to be from fall 1970.

By the way, I just checked an interview that I have from early 1971 (it's in the Blue Letter Archives). Chris said she "joined on July 21st, then left for America for the first tour on July 26th, after 5 solid days of rehearsal".

bretonbanquet, you said the fireworks footage is probably from around Nov. 5th. Is that some sort of a British holiday?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
bretonbanquet, you said the fireworks footage is probably from around Nov. 5th. Is that some sort of a British holiday?

November 5th is Guy Fawkes Day. He was arrested & hanged for treason when his plot to burn down Parliament was uncovered. (back in the early 1600's) Guy Fawkes Day info

John Lennon made reference to it at the end of his song "Remember" on his Plastic Ono Band album

("...remember...the FIFTH of November!" {explosion} )
Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oo, for some reason I thought you guys did it too. Yeah, ChiliD is spot on - in 1605 Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and since then we've had a tradition of letting off fireworks and having bonfires etc on November 5th, or maybe the nearest weekend.

It's changed a little recently I think. Back in the 60s and 70s I think it was very common for people to have individual private parties with fireworks etc much as Mac seemed to have done in 1970 at Benifold. These days you're more likely to go to a big public display with hundreds of other people. I remember when you could only buy fireworks around late October-early November, but now you can get them at any time, for all the other festivals, especially religious festivals like Diwali, and New Year etc.

It's hard to imagine how Mac could have been having a little firework session like that on any other occasion than Guy Fawkes'. Very British