User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWaterPoet View Post
This is something I have been wanting to ask here for the past few months... How many people here actually went to a concert during the "Rumours" tour??? I asked this on another message board of about 500 people and only myself and one other person had seen the "Rumours" tour...

If so, where did you see Fleetwood Mac ~ on the "Rumours" tour...???
I saw them here in Louisville, Kentucky... September 21st, 1977... and Stephen Bishop was their opening act... at Kentucky Fair and Expo Center, otherwise known as Freedom Hall...

"I Will Never Forget The Night" ~ ~ ~...

Donnie Wayne ~
saw them in norfolk, va in 77 and every tour since....the first time I saw them I figured the chick in black that was twirling had a bigger buzz on then me! LOL
Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
So, when Rumours came out, you already thoroughly knew the song, huh? That's pretty amazing.

Michele
Well, I was sitting third row center (right behind Bob Welch) at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on Thanksgiving Night, 1975 when Lindsey said "we've got a brand new song for you that we haven't played publicly before...haven't even titled it, either." After hearing the song, how could they call it anything BUT "Go Your Own Way", I thought??

Yep, by the time I first heard the single on the radio in October '76, I could "name that tune in 3 notes". Although the single sounded quite a bit different than the way they'd been playing it live.

And, as I mentioned earlier, they'd played a fetal arrangement of "You Make Loving Fun" at their June 1976 concert at Universal Amphitheatre...so I was vaguely familiar with that tune, too.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, I was sitting third row center (right behind Bob Welch) at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on Thanksgiving Night, 1975 when Lindsey said "we've got a brand new song for you that we haven't played publicly before...haven't even titled it, either." After hearing the song, how could they call it anything BUT "Go Your Own Way", I thought??
Oh my goodness. Stevie said that Lindsey wasn't very good at titles (which is why she named Stephanie) but I didn't believe her until now.

I can just see him sitting there, scratching his head wondering, "Can I call it Dreams? No, Stevie already used that one . . . "

Of course, Lindsey doesn't understand his own singing (which is why we now have a song called, Right Place to Fade). So, he may not have realized he was saying GYOW 50 times in the song. He might have thought he was saying, sow your own day.

Michele
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted_Song View Post
I wish I saw a Rumours show!!! My first Fleetwood Mac show was the Tusk tour.
Hey Donnie!!!

Like Alicia, here, my first Fleetwood Mac show was also the Tusk tour, in Houston, Tx. I can't remember the year though.. and will have to do further reasearch there.. LOL.. It was possibly 1980.

Hugs,

Arlene

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 06-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieKartis View Post
saw them in norfolk, va in 77 and every tour since....the first time I saw them I figured the chick in black that was twirling had a bigger buzz on then me! LOL
Hilarious Jeannie! LOLOL Unfortunately, I couldn't say that when I saw them.. plus, those were the days when "things" were being passed up and down the rows.. LOLOL

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 06-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, as Angel69 said, I saw 'em back then...I don't know exactly how many times, since the era from 1975-78 kind of all blended together...probably 30+ times in that era. To me, they never seemed to actually end one tour and begin another...they seemed to still be doing the occasional show here & there in midst of recording Rumours. I remember a show at the Universal Amphitheatre in June 1976 where they debuted "You Make Loving Fun"...plus, they'd been playing "Go Your Own Way" since November of 1975.

I always liked when they'd toss in a "golden oldie"...like in May '76 when they played at UC Santa Barbara (where they filmed the outdoor live portions of the "Rosebud" video) and opened with "Sunny Side Of Heaven". Or, when they opened for Dave Mason at the Forum in late '75 and played "Rattlesnake Shake" as their closing song (yes, with Lindsey singing!) Or, in March 1977 when they dropped "Spare Me A Little" and played "Believe Me" instead...then shocked us all with Danny K's "Tell Me All The Things You Do" for the encore. All through that time, they still played "Station Man", "Oh Well", "Green Manalishi", & "Why", too.

To me the best and worst stretch of shows they did in that time was in August 1977 at the GW Forum in LA. Best: they were tight and high-energy...one of the all-time best "Rhiannon"s was from that stretch. The "worst" part was 1) they'd dropped all pre-75 tunes except for "Oh Well" and 2) after seeing them 3 nights in a row during that Forum stand, they played the exact same set, said the exact same things at the exact same point in the show. It was like watching a videotape of that first night. That was a first for me...prior to that, they'd rotate songs in & out of the set, even though they'd play pretty much the same basic songs, but in a different order (except for about the first 4 and last 3)
The scripted shows everyone has been complaining about since 1997 aren't new at all.

When did you become ~*jaded*~ about the Rumours lineup? It's no secret you're not a fan of the California kids, so what changed your mind?
Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
The scripted shows everyone has been complaining about since 1997 aren't new at all.

When did you become ~*jaded*~ about the Rumours lineup? It's no secret you're not a fan of the California kids, so what changed your mind?
1) The decline started when they started scripting their concert sets (as mentioned in previous post), and ignoring tunes from pre-75; but, the Tusk tour kind of rekindled my spirit, since they kept tweaking their sets & mixing up the new tunes during that tour.

2) The long breaks between Fleetwood Mac albums in the 80s (either BE a band, or find people who WANT to be in the band)

3) Their diminishing talents (either drug or age induced) in the mid-late 80s

4) The invention of the internet & Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham message boards. They're good, but they're not the friggin' "geniuses" & "Goddesses" everyone fawns over...maybe back between 1975-80, yeah, but these days, for me, they're done. Basically, all the "Chiffonheads" & "Buckheads" have ruined ANY small bit of appreciation I had left for Buckingham, Nicks and any incarnation of Fleetwood Mac that they're members of. I think that stems from when Lindsey left in '87...they got great players to join (Rick & Billy), the two tours with them were both well received both by fans & critics. Then the 94/95 tour and the new lineup, once people understood that this was the NEW Fleetwood Mac lineup, seemed to like their approach...but then they released Time, which many people at the time who had bought it, LIKED IT; but, the then growing internet message boards started filling up with the incredible hatred for the album "Because it wasn't Lindsey or Stevie, how could it be Fleetwood Mac"...well, there was a Fleetwood Mac BEFORE them and obviously AFTER them....the narrow-minded attitudes combined with the overt fawning just turned me off toward both Stevie & Lindsey. I've grown to hate 'em both...and even the stuff I USED to like, I just loathe these days (due to over exposure, I think, more than anything).

Sure, I still have a few private moments when I can listen to TISL or the official GOS and get into them, but those moments are VERY FEW and VERY far between.

Last edited by chiliD; 06-18-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^

LOL - you are sooo Rhiannon

Seriously - I seem to remember you telling a story about how FM partied with you in the first few rows of some jam fest. Or, they were sitting by you. Something like that. Can you refresh my memory?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
1) The decline started when they started scripting their concert sets (as mentioned in previous post), and ignoring tunes from pre-75; but, the Tusk tour kind of rekindled my spirit, since they kept tweaking their sets & mixing up the new tunes during that tour.

2) The long breaks between Fleetwood Mac albums in the 80s (either BE a band, or find people who WANT to be in the band)

3) Their diminishing talents (either drug or age induced) in the mid-late 80s

4) The invention of the internet & Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham message boards. They're good, but they're not the friggin' "geniuses" & "Goddesses" everyone fawns over...maybe back between 1975-80, yeah, but these days, for me, they're done. Basically, all the "Chiffonheads" & "Buckheads" have ruined ANY small bit of appreciation I had left for Buckingham, Nicks and any incarnation of Fleetwood Mac that they're members of. I think that stems from when Lindsey left in '87...they got great players to join (Rick & Billy), the two tours with them were both well received both by fans & critics. Then the 94/95 tour and the new lineup, once people understood that this was the NEW Fleetwood Mac lineup, seemed to like their approach...but then they released Time, which many people at the time who had bought it, LIKED IT; but, the then growing internet message boards started filling up with the incredible hatred for the album "Because it wasn't Lindsey or Stevie, how could it be Fleetwood Mac"...well, there was a Fleetwood Mac BEFORE them and obviously AFTER them....the narrow-minded attitudes combined with the overt fawning just turned me off toward both Stevie & Lindsey. I've grown to hate 'em both...and even the stuff I USED to like, I just loathe these days (due to over exposure, I think, more than anything).

Sure, I still have a few private moments when I can listen to TISL or the official GOS and get into them, but those moments are VERY FEW and VERY far between.
You made some great points ChiliD......I agree that the over exposure has done it for sure.....I haven't been a fan as long as you have but I totally get what your saying.....I didn't start getting into Mac/Stevie til '88 so I missed all the 70's stuff and Stevie early solo stuff. Heck in the 70's ...like '76 I'd have been only 9 yrs old (I'm 40 now) but I didn't know anything about music back than.....not like all these kids do today.....but even my 20 some yrs of fandom has went done now. Its not like it was when I started thats for sure. I guess its not the same...they aren't and well I'm not....I'll always love the music but I think with the disappoints in some areas....etc.....its hard to take it all anymore esp all the 'drama' that plays out....its all bs anymore....or a joke to me. Yeah, people say don't take it serious and well I don't think I do but than why all the bs and the drama play.....other than to get in the press I guess. Its like its so old news anymore......at least to me. With the Net & all they could do so much and put so much more 'new' and 'old' out in the valuets as well as pictures etc.....its a waste.....its recylce the old once again.....I could keep going...but I hear what your saying.....and the repeating in concerts thats whats keeping me away now (same with Stevie/solo) besides the high ticket prices etc.....the live concert thing just isn't as big of a deal as it used to be for me......your lucky to have seen them though back 'in the day' .......I didn't first see them til Mask...(Stevie solo SA/94)....I've seen Mac 3 times and Stevie 6 solo so I know what its like......life does go on as they say.....thanks for your insight though......
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Where's the Time Machine when you need one? I was 15 years old and visiting a cousin in Los Angeles in August 1977 but had no clue FM was playing there. That Rhiannon from that show was phenominal! My first time was on the Tusk Tour.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
^^^^

LOL - you are sooo Rhiannon

Seriously - I seem to remember you telling a story about how FM partied with you in the first few rows of some jam fest. Or, they were sitting by you. Something like that. Can you refresh my memory?
Thanks for remembering! Since this comes up every so often, a while back I typed the story out to save me having to retype it every time somebody requests it, so here's the whole story once again copied & pasted:

Its late summer/early fall 1976...I've got tickets to see Eric Clapton (with Charlie Daniels Band as the opening act) at the Forum in LA. Thanks to another buddy of mine having Los Angeles Kings season tickets, I got some prime seats for the show (stage left risers about 15 rows up from the floor about lined up with the 5th row on the floor...would've been about even with the free-throw line if the place was set up for basketball).

My friend (John) & I made the journey in my 1967 VW bus (I think Cameron Crowe based his Jeff Spicoli character on me! )...complete with ice box full of Coors 16oz'ers, which wouldn't last long once we got into the parking lot. We make it to our seats just about as houselights go down, Charlie Daniels Band comes on and plays a GREAT set..."How's Clapton going to follow THAT?", we discuss during intermission. Being red-blooded guys barely in our 20's we're checking out the "scenery" that's around us. I spy a GROUP of HOT (HOT, HOT!!!) "babes" with tall drinks walking UP from the floor. I get the ol' elbow from John, "Hey, check THEM out" he says. As they stop in the aisle about 5 rows down from us to look for their seat numbers before heading into their row, I notice the third one in the line...DAMN! IT'S STEVIE NICKS!!!

John harumphs disbelief, I tell him, "Don't believe me? I'll show ya!", so I yell, "Hey, Stevie!" (I'm just SO smooth, eh?)...she looks up with glassy eyes (and holding a VERY tall Tequila Sunrise) and waves to me! Where he got it, I don't know, but John shoves a pen in front of me and says "You'll never have this chance again!", so, I grab the pen & my Clapton program and start to get up to go get her autograph...I kind of ram into the guy whose coming DOWN the aisle from the walkway above...he careens into the guy who he's walking down the aisle with...bodies fly. I focus on the guy and his friend. Omigod! It's RICHARD DASHUT & LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM!! I rammed right into Dashut, he knocked Lindsey into the seat across the aisle from me. They're not pleased and verbally so. I apologize profusely; and, as I am, I hear this cackling laughter from a woman in the row across the aisle. I look to see who's laughing and its CHRISTINE McVIE!!! She's just laughing her ass off! Richard & Lindsey move along to find their seats (and get the HELL away from ME!) and Christine motions me over...I lean into her row (she's about 3 or 4 seats in from the aisle...no one is in the first couple of seats)...she says still chuckling, "You'd better go take your seat before you kill anymore of my band; give me the pen & program and I'll get everyone's autograph for you!" I nod in agreement and as I turn around to walk back across the
aisle, a guy just lightly brushes past me...not until he's a few steps down do I realize who it is...RINGO STARR!! After the previous 5 minutes, I am NOT even going to attempt to engage a BEATLE in conversation. Just as I take my seat, the houselights go down, Clapton takes the stage and kicks into "Hello Old Friend". Just before the second verse, I get a tap on my shoulder...its Christine McVie returning my program, signed by Mick, Stevie, Lindsey and herself. (apparently John didn't make the show) The others had just signed their names, but Christine signed it: "Thanks, Steve, XOXO Chris".

Well, my friend John & I were just in awe the rest of Clapton's set...Eric was ON FIRE that night, the band was tighter than I'd seen them on previous tours (Eric actually kept the same people in his band for the fourth consecutive tour!)...running through old hits as well as his then new material from his "No Reason To Cry" album. John & I just kept handing each other the program and just staring at it, then looking up to see how Fleetwood Mac was reacting to their buddy Eric Clapton's show. Eric's guitar playing commanded our undivided attention about 1/3 of the way through the show and then as Eric left the stage, we looked around for the Mac and they'd already vacated...probably to head for the backstage party! After Eric's third encore ("Layla" of course!), the houselights came back up and it was time to go home. One memorable night that Christine McVie rescued me from years of possible total embarassment with her class & generosity.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

THAT, my friend, is the shizzle. Every time I hear it, I just WISH I'd have been there if for nothing else than to see you impersonating a bowling ball

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's an amazing story chili. WOW just running right into a whole bunch of famous people, huh? How funny.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
... running right into a whole bunch of famous people, huh?
LITERALLY!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That story is one of the best I've ever heard. I remember reading it here a long, long time ago and love when it pops back into conversation. You can't make that kind of thing up!