User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I guess some artists still release singles with b-sides.
Oh you mean vinyl singles? I haven't seen one of those in years? I didn't know you could still purchase them.

And the cd mini has disappeared too.

Michele
Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 AM
BlueGrass
This message has been deleted by BlueGrass.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After first listen Im only liking about half of it, but I am more of a Big Machine fan lol. I like his more straight forward manly voice he uses with FM so the vocals are a little distracting. I don't care for all the big love style finger picking either so was a little dissapointed to hear so much of it here. Good news is the songs that are good are really good: faves are -

Stars Are Crazy
Thats the way love goes
In our own time
End of Time
Illumination
Rock Away Blind
Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
No comparisons. They are two completely different solo artists. Period. I won't even go there. I'm proud of both of them.
This.

It really turns me off when people give in to the urge to turn their enthusiasm for their favourite into an opportunity to put down other people's favourite. Why do this? I mean, I can be happy for all the Lindsey love on this thread. I can be happy for it because I know how much I dig Stevie, which means I know what excitement and pride feels like, regardless of its object.

For what it's worth (sorry), it's the more moderate opinions on SWS that I've read here that will make me buy it and give LB's solo stuff a chance where I haven't been much inclined to since Go Insane (which I pretty much loathed). And if I haven't passed into actual spirit from the rapture, I'll come back and tell you what I think (for which, I know, you will hardly be able to contain yourselves, ahem).

Loz
Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh you mean vinyl singles? I haven't seen one of those in years? I didn't know you could still purchase them.

And the cd mini has disappeared too.

Michele
They release them on iTunes and on cd all the time... Even Amy Winehouse released all her singles with new b-sides. RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I guess some artists still release singles with b-sides. That's what TrueFaith is wishing LB did with the bonuses, and I agree that it is a very artistic and extremely edgy (hey, for this day and age anyone who wants to release a single with an A-side or B-side is definitely going against the grain). But I am just happy to have these songs in my possession so quickly and have pretty much resolved myself to the fact that a/b sides are an antiquity that doesn't serve as much of a purpose as it once did. Just my opinion.
But I am interested in how a-sides/b-sides make meaning. Bonus tracks are extemporaneous and, consequently, stand-alone (except Jay-Z/Kanye kraftily position their bonus tracks on Watch the Throne (aka best album of the year) as a cohesive coda in and of itself--genius!!!!).

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 09-07-2011 at 06:39 AM..
Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The acoustic version of End Of Time blows me away. It's neck and neck with When She Comes Down as my favorite song from the album.

Matt
Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

About half way through my first listen, I just thought "what a piece of **** album" & was at least looking forward to "She Smiled Sweetly", but once it got here, nope, he even screwed the pooch on that one, too. The original version from the unofficial Gift Of Screws is infinitely better than this travesty.

This whole album sounds like he just rewrote the worst songs from Under The Skin & the official Gift Of Screws.

Finally, only the electric "Seeds We Sow" had the ever so miniscule molecules of "redeeming value".

I wonder if he has one of those sets of words that are refrigerator magnets that he just wakes up, pours his morning coffee and lets it get cold as he gets sidetracked from opening the fridge door to get the Coffee Mate creamer and arranges them into banal lyrical content.

I don't know whether to be angry or just bored at the repetitious lyrical & sonic tripe that he's dumped upon us once again.

Seeds We Sow...we'll be referring to as SWS...which in my head stands for Some Wasteful ****.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
About half way through my first listen, I just thought "what a piece of **** album" & was at least looking forward to "She Smiled Sweetly", but once it got here, nope, he even screwed the pooch on that one, too. The original version from the unofficial Gift Of Screws is infinitely better than this travesty.

This whole album sounds like he just rewrote the worst songs from Under The Skin & the official Gift Of Screws.

Finally, only the electric "Seeds We Sow" had the ever so miniscule molecules of "redeeming value".

I wonder if he has one of those sets of words that are refrigerator magnets that he just wakes up, pours his morning coffee and lets it get cold as he gets sidetracked from opening the fridge door to get the Coffee Mate creamer and arranges them into banal lyrical content.

I don't know whether to be angry or just bored at the repetitious lyrical & sonic tripe that he's dumped upon us once again.

Seeds We Sow...we'll be referring to as SWS...which in my head stands for Some Wasteful ****.
And I don't think we'll find a paid critical review more scathing..not even if Robert Christgau was still in bussiness.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^devestating assessment

I agree with (or UNDERSTAND) aspects of much of it. But I think the album is pretty. And moving. It's pretty moving.

SWS (electric) is easily one of my three (four? five?) fave tracks from these sessions. Not putting it on the album signifies a glaring lapse in judgement...

...as was the paired down version of SSS.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Ouch......
Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I can see where you can criticize this album, but Lindsey is not Bob Dylan and for 61 years old this where this man is at his life. How many people in their 60s can be making music like this? Me more than anyone wants Lindsey to put away the nylon for an album and the electric solos and have him bang on a piano and make epic 10 minute songs, but that's not going to happen. I like this album, despite hating One Take and Illumination, it's solid.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Ouch......
Double ouch!!!!!

I have just listened the whole way through for the first time - and I love it!

BUT......it's not going to top OOTC for me!

Still, I may change my mind after many listens - but I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure OOTC is going to remain my favourite album.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The guy is in a rut the size of the Grand Canyon. In retrospect, the worst thing he did was come up with that solo guitar/voice version of "Big Love". Everything he's done since then was just remakes of that. He DID hit on a couple of things that were taking that idea to the next level ("Try For The Sun" & "Red Rover"), but all he's doing on this album is regurgitating Under The Skin type over processed vocals making the lyrical content unintelligable (which annoyed the fk outta me then and just pisses me off here) over the same type guitar patterns. He's not growing as a songwriter, a guitarist, a vocalist, lyricist or even producer (his production chops are atrophying faster than a corpse's muscle tone). What he needs is one of Jethro Gibbs' patented head-slaps. It's that "how can a millionaire sing the blues authentically?" thing. Lindsey's still going for the "quirky angry" schtick...comes off as really forced & phony. It's time for him to find a new direction.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
This.

It really turns me off when people give in to the urge to turn their enthusiasm for their favourite into an opportunity to put down other people's favourite. Loz
Whether it's an album or just views in general, people who only see one side of every situation are a turn off and not very credible.

Michele
Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The guy is in a rut the size of the Grand Canyon. In retrospect, the worst thing he did was come up with that solo guitar/voice version of "Big Love". Everything he's done since then was just remakes of that. He DID hit on a couple of things that were taking that idea to the next level ("Try For The Sun" & "Red Rover"), but all he's doing on this album is regurgitating Under The Skin type over processed vocals making the lyrical content unintelligable (which annoyed the fk outta me then and just pisses me off here) over the same type guitar patterns. He's not growing as a songwriter, a guitarist, a vocalist, lyricist or even producer (his production chops are atrophying faster than a corpse's muscle tone). What he needs is one of Jethro Gibbs' patented head-slaps. It's that "how can a millionaire sing the blues authentically?" thing. Lindsey's still going for the "quirky angry" schtick...comes off as really forced & phony. It's time for him to find a new direction.
Oh dear - but you've made me laugh lots with your scathing report!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
They release them on iTunes and on cd all the time... Even Amy Winehouse released all her singles with new b-sides. RIP
Ok. But I'm asking a physical question really. Where is the b-side placed? In the old days, it would just be on the back of a 45. Now, that music is digital where does a b-side show up? Is it on the main CD and it's just labeled a "b-side" or what? Or is it on a second , separate CD called "the b-sides"? I do remember that Prince had a b-sides CD. I just didn't realize it was common. Michele