The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can understand how people feel strongly anti-fur. We, human beings, do very cruel things to not only each other but to many many animals on this planet. So if the activists put Stevie on the spot, she should be ready and able to defend herself.

But I am also vain enough to admit, fur feels great and keeps you warm and snug, it's luxurious and self-indulgent. But why slaughter a fresh animal when you can wear vintage fur. There are many retailers which sell older but no less beautiful coats. Then you can have your cake and eat it too since you now also recycle!!

Hopefully, this is what Stevie has done herself...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 04-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

See thats what initially got me going, that the animal rights activists will rip her apart in the press. I was more dissapointed than angry with her decision. One time after the innauguration ball she got ripped to shreds by a Giselle Benatar of I think the NY Post(?) who told her to "lose some weight honey". I was so furious I called and actually spoke to Giselle and gave her a piece of my mind.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I am coming to this debate late, and I didn't come in to take side, really, but I just wanted to say that I have noticec that fur is making a comeback in Hollywood and on the runways. The last couple of years it has become featured more and more.

Again, I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it does seem to be coming back into style. If you feel strongly against it, and if there is going to be a backlash about it, there will alot more than Stevie in the line of fire. When I first started seeing new furs in the magazines I was prepared to start hearing alot of debacle about it, but so far there haven't been any real blowups that I have heard of. It made me wonder if it is becoming more acceptable again.

Having said that, I think Stevie's fur looked vintage, real or not. The cut of the jacket looked a little out of style and not in keeping with some of these new ones. If it was real, it was probably an old one.

You know how she hangs on to stuff forever!

If she's gonna get blasted by the press for wearing a real fur, well, you know what they say about publicity!

-Sharon
Old 04-21-2003, 11:58 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by thewhitewingedd
Well the only thing to do is find out if it was real or not. I think it was fake...I doubt think ASK STEVIE will give us much insight to the question though so I guess we might not ever really know.

This discussion triggered a memory of Stevie. I remember watching one of those VH1 things about Fleetwood Mac and they showed a pic of Stevie walking from her limo to a hotel and she had a really large fur coat on...I think a fan actually ran up to her with an album to sign...She did so then went inside...I wonder if that coat was real...Humm...

"I NEED TO KNOW"
But besides general curiosity, why should it really matter if it's real or not? Does it make her songs worse if it's real? It's basically a personal choice she's made, and she doesn't have to justify it to anybody. Let's not forget this is a women who's had at least one abortion, and nobody jumps all over her morality for that around here. What's the difference? I'm seriously not trying to antagonize you, just wonderin'...
Old 04-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I remember seeing a picture of her getting off a plane and into a limo with a fur on...

It even looked like this one.

I bet it is the same one.

-Sharon
Old 04-21-2003, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SmthngOfADreamr
But besides general curiosity, why should it really matter if it's real or not? Does it make her songs worse if it's real? It's basically a personal choice she's made, and she doesn't have to justify it to anybody. Let's not forget this is a women who's had at least one abortion, and nobody jumps all over her morality for that around here. What's the difference? I'm seriously not trying to antagonize you, just wonderin'...
As I said, she can wear whatever she likes. I share the opinion that it is disappointing to see her wearing fur. I wish she hadn't. To me, it was distracting. Rather than just sit there and watch the performance, I had to wonder if it was real fur and just what the hell she was thinking.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

The difference between her having an abortion lies in the fact that we dont know why she chose to have one. Maybe she thought she would not be a good mother at that point in her life. Maybe the father of the baby said no way. Maybe she did not want to have a child with all the drugs in her system and risk having a child that was mentally retarded or sick or drug addicted itself. Maybe she was advised against going through with the pregancy by a Dr. who saw the writing on the wall. But Fur because it is cold? There are other clothing options. It's 2 different things.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by MACFAN
The difference between her having an abortion lies in the fact that we dont know why she chose to have one. Maybe she thought she would not be a good mother at that point in her life. Maybe the father of the baby said no way. Maybe she did not want to have a child with all the drugs in her system and risk having a child that was mentally retarded or sick or drug addicted itself. Maybe she was advised against going through with the pregancy by a Dr. who saw the writing on the wall. But Fur because it is cold? There are other clothing options. It's 2 different things.
Of course having an abortion and wearing fur are two different things. What they share in common is what I mentioned in my last post - both are considered issues of morality. I'm not trying to justify her abortion or trying to justify her choice to possibly wear fur. I'm trying to ascertain if and why we as a group think that these issues should matter when we are a fan of someone's music. It's kind of like when we were arguing about whether or not Natalie Maine's comment should have had an impact upon her music career.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
As I said, she can wear whatever she likes. I share the opinion that it is disappointing to see her wearing fur. I wish she hadn't. To me, it was distracting. Rather than just sit there and watch the performance, I had to wonder if it was real fur and just what the hell she was thinking.
Gotacha. That makes a lot of sense actually. It was sort of a bold move. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MACFAN, are you going to tell us your story about meeting Ms. Nicks?? you mentioned it earlier in this thread....

"Believe me I spent an hour chatting with her in a hotel bar in 1996 and she was so grounded and real, I dunno, I was a little dissapointed, but that does not diminish how I feel about her or her music."

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 04-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm trying to ascertain if and why we as a group think that these issues should matter when we are a fan of someone's music.

It really should not,but i also don't think MACFAN was trying to start anything like that,he was just stating an opinion,and like everything,it snowballed.
I don't think Stevie Nicks has ever stood up and said "Follow Me..I am a pillar of morality".Gimme a break..my mom had an abortion a few years before she had me...do i hold that against her? No.Do i tell her she has no morals? No. My grandmother wears fur...what the hell am i supposed to do,disown her?? I don't care to worry all about Stevie's moral standing...the fact is,she is a stellar songwriter and performer,and that is what i choose to appreciate about her.

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 04-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by FiercestCalmSea
the fact is,she is a stellar songwriter and performer,and that is what i choose to appreciate about her.
EXACTLY what i'm saying. Besides writing great songs and being a cool performer, it doesn't matter what she wears or does. Right on!
Old 04-21-2003, 03:11 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY what i'm saying. Besides writing great songs and being a cool performer, it doesn't matter what she wears or does. Right on!
Right, and if she showed up wearing a thong and pasties, you'd be right there supporting her right to do that!
Old 04-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Right, and if she showed up wearing a thong and pasties, you'd be right there supporting her right to do that!
Dude you crack me up. But I fear I am not one of those one of those mindless Stevie-lovin' drones whom you adore so much, if that is what you are inferring. I just support her and everyone else's freedom of choice. I prefer to criticize her work, not her fashion no matter how atrocious.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Dude you crack me up. But I fear I am not one of those one of those mindless Stevie-lovin' drones whom you adore so much, if that is what you are inferring. I just support her and everyone else's freedom of choice. I prefer to criticize her work, not her fashion no matter how atrocious.
Oh, sorry, I meant I'd be supp... Oh never mind.